Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-01-2008, 07:41 PM
Subaru Tech Division

MKVIGTI at standard level
Default Water to air intercooler

Car was in for a service today and had lane wind up the boost a bit to see if he can squease a little more out of it.

End result. More heat. Little more mid torque and a bit less top end. End result looks like the STI top mount doesn't cut it above 17 & a bit PSI on the 2.5. ( Is going to pressure test it tomorrow just to check that he is right )

Think I might just say screw it and leave it as is ( hell the thing does mid 12's with basicaly turbo, silicon intake, up pipe and tune )

If I end up not being able to help myself was wondering what was the absolute bee's knee's top mount. If not a decent improvement over the STI one I am not interested.

Other option I am thinking is a PWR water to air setup ( no don't bother even mentioning a FMIC. Want to do something a little differant if I change from the stock setup ). Is anyone using one and having good results??? Actualy seen an improvemet by fitting without replacing anything else at the same time.

Pretty sure I won't bother but would like something to chew on.
Old 17-01-2008, 08:03 PM
www.dilettante.net

EXPLICIT at standard level
Send a message via MSN to EXPLICIT

Do a google search on the TSL Charge Cooler. I bought one over for my Liberty but have since decided on a different direction. ITs a mix of air to air and water to air. Groovy unit and a direct fit to the 05sti. Good for around 400hp.
Old 18-01-2008, 07:34 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

nauli knows their stuff

Not surprised you had a heat problem yesterday!
I'm not sure what sort of turbo you have, but remember (and this is especially the case with a 2.5) that the power band has limits and by altering tune parameters, all you do is shift the band up or down rather than widening it...ie more at the top = less at the bottom and vice versa. It appears that the best turbo option for the 2.5 to get the widest possible usable power band is the STi Liberty-type twin scroll (whatever VF that is) or derivatives thereof.
My '06 STi is tuned more for low end torque so it's good on autokhanas and shorter sprints (eg Collie), but runs out of puff on long straights etc (eg Barb long track) and drags....I just run a standard turbo, exhaust and unequal headers.
So, to a degree, even by fitting another type of I/C, you may be chasing your tail.
I think (especially with the 2.5) you need to decide what application you want... very quick 1/4 mile car (= more laggy) or quick short sprint car (= very little lag but shorter top end). Of course you can spend a shitload and approach more the best of both worlds... all food for thought.
Old 18-01-2008, 08:11 AM
Sign me up!
Why stop at two bar?

tuna is a gurutuna is a guru

i would suggest water injection, or something intellegently triggered on an atmosphere (air filter) vs intake (intercooler) air temps ratio to help forcefully drop the tempuratures down.

Long live the WRC
Old 18-01-2008, 08:59 AM
Subaru Tech Division

AVO 450s. 400l inlet housing with the 450 exhaust housing. Seems a very good comprimise. Nail it in 6th from 80 and it takes a bit to get going but the way I drive on a fun country drive I NEVER get any lag at all. Don't really rev the hell out of it ( except crossing the line in 4th at the drags ) but never fall below 3500 revs either.

Tuna, Lane seems to think it is a case of to much pressure drop across the intercooler ( is going to test this morning ). I take it a 2.5 with a bigger turbo tries to stuff a LOT more air through the intercooler than a 2.0 so I guess it will reach it's flow limit sooner ( it is the same size as the 2 lt intercoolers I think ). Will water injection make much differance with the boost you can run. Seems about 17.4 PSI as a peak is about as far as I can go without making the tune a bit less safe. Was hoping to take it to somewhere into the 19's just to get a couple more tenths out of it.

Does water injection have a detrimental effect on the engine. I have heard it is pretty abrasive on the internals but weather that is true I have no Idea.
Old 18-01-2008, 01:52 PM
Subaru Tech Division

207 de at standard level

similar situation.

I want to run 1.8bar or 25psi through the std sti TMIC. Smaller turbo though.

Jme, am interested in this TSL thing but its hard to find out about it...but still, if I can get the pwr I want (310-320) then I dont care...Also, I dont mind fmic's. I know they work.
Old 18-01-2008, 02:00 PM
Subaru Tech Division

207 de at standard level

edit Jme, saw the pics on your fop sale section of the Chargecooler..Looks interesting..

hmm....: )
Old 18-01-2008, 03:53 PM
Scoobie Noobie

diegothecat at standard level

i was lookin into this not long ago and i think its the way to go but funds let me down, but if you get on to a dude names greybeard on gtrydaz he has an awsone setup forsale he wants a bit for it but one real fine setup none the less.
Old 18-01-2008, 06:33 PM
Subaru Tech Division

OK bit more testing today when it was cooler. STi top mount is well and truly maxed out and can go no further than somewhere in the 17 PSI range ( with an AVO 450s pumping into it anyway ). Lane tried a much larger quality after market top mount and then ran again with the STI one.

End result only 3 kw in favour of the aftermarket top mount. Not worth the $1000+ to swap. Goes to show that the STi ones are up there with the best just in case anyone doubted it.

Couple of other small ideas being considered but think I might just go get some great looking wheels and a decent sound system. Best I can do without resorting to amps or subs. Like the kiss principle and it worked well for the sound in the last 2 cars.

P.S. for those that don't know KISS = Keep It Simple Stupid ( I need it really simple )
Old 18-01-2008, 07:56 PM
The Modulator

American Dave is a guruAmerican Dave is a guru

thanks for sharing mod exp with i/c blacksti, 40 degree days will test any stock turbo i/c set-up. I am not really surprised the sti tmic performs well in comparison in high heat conditions.

Tags
air, intercooler, water