Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   06 STi First Basic Mods? Flash ECU Tune? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/1868-06-sti-first-basic-mods-flash-engine-control-unit-tune.html)

RexcellentSTi 15-10-2005 04:16 PM

06 STi First Basic Mods? Flash ECU Tune?

Hi All

I have this mate with an 06 STi and he would like to add a couple of basic mods.

1. A 3" Stainless Exhaust, Turbo back, mandrel bend (the usual). Previously he has had an APS Exhaust, anyone else suggest something? He would like to spend around $1,500 on an exhaust.

2. Flash ECU Tune? He has looked at the ECUTEK website. Or should he get a piggyback ECU e.g. Unichip. My mate reckons APS have them ready to go for the 2.5 STi.

A couple of questions please.

1. How does Subaru feel about a full exhaust in regard to Warranty?
2. If my mate got a Flash tune, is it detectable and/or is it an issue with Warranty?
3. Who does Flash ECU tunes in Perth?

Thanks All.

methd 15-10-2005 04:54 PM

at the end of the day, its mod at ur own risk. nobody can preciesly tell u what the warranty ramifications are with exhaust and particularly, ecutek. it'd be a smarted move to buy a full replacement (not flash or piggy) ecu and on the slim chance you have engine warranty issues, u can put the OEM ECU back in. it's not like subaru dont know about ecutek, so im sure theyve got some means to check to see if its been reflashed.

but if i were u and u'r worried about warranty, just do the zorst and intake. ride the warranty period out. and then start modding to ur hearts content.

thx 15-10-2005 05:01 PM

Or just do what the rest of the people do and kill the warranty in the butt :D

Personally I'd do the zorst and intake, then let the car settle in. Get any of those new car things sorted out under warranty. Then when your car's all happy mod the crap out of it. In the mean time you have saved up some good cash for the means.

I had a few months from when I sold my WRX and picked up the Evo. Never have had so much money in my savings :D

RexcellentSTi 15-10-2005 05:11 PM

Thanks Guys

So Zorst, how much do they cost and where is the best place to go. Bruce has suggested Leigh from Rev Limit in the past. Also if my mate got a Unichip and then later had Warranty issues, I suppose the Unichip could be taken out.

With the Zorst doesn't this need a tune to be of any performance value and to ensure no mechanical issues e.g from the decrease in back pressure etc.

waxdass 15-10-2005 05:21 PM

depends if you want a jap brand exhaust or a local one.

A custom/local one with your choice of muffler style would work out cheaper(ss). The jap brands are all cat-back - and you would have to get a dump pipe made up $500+. Tho you cant beat the qulaity of jap brands.

I went with the jap cat back, and got a dump pipe by RMS.

RexcellentSTi 15-10-2005 05:33 PM

I reckon he would be safe to go Cat Back and get an ECUtek.

Thanks Guys, wish him luck. I will let you know the power gain.

Bruce 15-10-2005 10:28 PM

Rick,

If you're going to Ecutek you may as well do the turbo back exhaust & intake, this will also save you $$$ on tuning in the future. :icon_idea

keep us posted on the dyno results.

BTW, I've been looking into the new unichip also....should be out in about a month I'm told!

cheers

JMAX 15-10-2005 10:40 PM

Get your mate to save up enough to get 3" Turbo Back Exhaust($1500-2000), 400hp fuel pump ($250) and Ecutek 3 ($1500-2000) and do it all in one hit. He'll have a tyre frying 200+kw atw GUARANTEED.

Race Torque in Wangara or Maximum Motorsport in Malaga can do the lot.

BLUES 15-10-2005 10:44 PM

[QUOTE=BLU WRX]Get your mate to save up enough to get 3" Turbo Back Exhaust($1500-2000), 400hp fuel pump ($250) and Ecutek 3 ($1500-2000) and do it all in one hit. He'll have a tyre frying 200+kw atw GUARANTEED.

Race Torque in Wangara or Maximum Motorsport in Malaga can do the lot.[/QUOTE]

what he said ^^^

EXPLICIT 16-10-2005 12:04 AM

before you do anything, go do some defensive (offensive?) driving at AHG, Motorplex, Wanneroo test n tune....get a feel for the car...and a platform to base the mods you want and most of all NOTICE the difference!