Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2008, 04:44 PM
STI Master

spikey at standard level
Default Chassis # for Wrx and Sti

Just checking are all Australian delivered STI have the GDB code and wrx have the GDA?a friend of mine is trying to buy a car and the seller says it is an sti but the code has GDA on it,it is alright if he is up front and tell him that it was a Wrx then been replaced with all sti gear,but don't try to pass it off as an STI,hope it is no one from here.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:57 PM
STI Master

Adz at standard level

Oceania-spec
Rev. A (2001)

The WRX has an EJ205 rated at 218 PS (215 hp/160 kW) @ 6000 rpms. It carries 17” x 7” wheels and has 4-piston/2-piston front and rear brakes with ventilated disk rotors all around.

Rev. B (2002)

Due to complaints of slower acceleration in comparison to the GC-chassis WRX, the gear ratios and diff ratio are changed to the same specifications as the Japanese domestic market WRX to improve overtaking and in gear acceleration. The result is near identical first and second gear ratios to the GC, but with a noticeably shorter third, fourth and fifth gear.

Also added was a Suretrac limited slip rear differential. Japanese engineers claimed that drive would still be directed to the gripping wheel even if the other wheel was off the ground.

Rev. D (2004)

The WRX received the same Peter Stevens-designed facelift that rest of the Imprezas received. During 2005 a limited edition Subaru Impreza WRX WRP10 was produced, but limited to 200 vehicles.

Therefore - GDA = 2001 model wrx (or 2001 wrx sti)
Old 05-11-2008, 06:24 PM
STI Master

spikey at standard level
Default chassis

Just got off the phone with the parts manager at Subaru and he reckons all the 01-on Wrx are GDA and all sti are GDB.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:43 PM
Sign me up!
IMPREZA STi S204

JDM_STYLE at standard level

In 2000, the Impreza line received a complete update. The chassis was stiffened so that it had 120% torsional stiffness increase. The WRX STi gained 17" x 7.5" alloy wheels over the previous 16" x 7" wheels. The 5 speed semi-automatic transmission (reputed to be one of the car's weakpoints) was changed to an STi engineered 6 speed manual transmission. The engine was retained from the Version 6 STi and still retains the semi-closed deck block and is still labeled as the EJ207. However, the turbochargers are IHI models. The interior was updated with a STi logo on the gauge. The STi's tachometer also has a red shift light. The STi's and optioned Type RA STi have received Brembo 4 piston front and 2 piston rear brakes while the bare-bones Type RA STi still carried the Subaru 4 piston front and 2 piston rear brakes. Externally, the STis had larger hoodscoops and had foglight covers with STi embossed on them. The DCCD was updated so it can work with anti-lock brakes. During braking, when the ABS is on, the DCCD will set itself to open-mode (no locking).

The version nomenclature was dropped from the name. Japanese and other auto-enthusiasts often refer to the chassis as GDB/GDF (the STi has a 'B' or 'F'(for USDM models) where as the regular WRX had an 'A'). The forth charter of the VIN gives the revision (A to F where G is the current (2007) version).

So according to this all STI's are a GDB

221.7KW-ATW 498.5NM MMS ROLLER DYNO & BUILT BY STi NINJAS, BUILD #318/600

EBISU SUBARU, SHIBUYA-KU TOKYO
Old 05-11-2008, 08:44 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Sethor at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to Sethor Send a message via MSN to Sethor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz
Oceania-spec
Rev. A (2001)

The WRX has an EJ205 rated at 218 PS (215 hp/160 kW) @ 6000 rpms. It carries 17” x 7” wheels and has 4-piston/2-piston front and rear brakes with ventilated disk rotors all around.

Rev. B (2002)

Due to complaints of slower acceleration in comparison to the GC-chassis WRX, the gear ratios and diff ratio are changed to the same specifications as the Japanese domestic market WRX to improve overtaking and in gear acceleration. The result is near identical first and second gear ratios to the GC, but with a noticeably shorter third, fourth and fifth gear.

Also added was a Suretrac limited slip rear differential. Japanese engineers claimed that drive would still be directed to the gripping wheel even if the other wheel was off the ground.

Rev. D (2004)

The WRX received the same Peter Stevens-designed facelift that rest of the Imprezas received. During 2005 a limited edition Subaru Impreza WRX WRP10 was produced, but limited to 200 vehicles.

Therefore - GDA = 2001 model wrx (or 2001 wrx sti)
Totally wrong.

All GD series STi vin#'s start with GDB & all GD series WRX's start with GDA.
The rev a,b,c etc refered to above is year model for example a MY05 STi is a GDB model E or MY02 WRX is a GDA model B.

MY01 = Model "A"
MY02 = Model "B"
MY03 = Model "C"
MY04 = Model "D"
MY05 = Model "E"
MY06 = Model "F"
MY07 = Model "G"

Last edited by Sethor; 05-11-2008 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:57 PM
STI Master

Adz at standard level

My bad - interpreted wikipedia wrongly :P

Stand corrected.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:42 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

spuds at standard level

Hi everyone,
I'm the guy who's looking at getting this WRX/STi... Took some time for me to get my account activated.

I'm sure its a WRX with an STi conversion and I'm still negotiating the price to suit what it really is. Its still a nice drive though!!

Thanks for all the info...
Old 10-11-2008, 09:23 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Check for the usual differences between WRX and STi too:

i.e.

No MY01 STi
Brembo's
6 speed
Seats
Silver surround on shifter boot
Red manifold
DCCD on later models
114.3 PCD on later models
Flared rear guards
etc etc etc

Usually on a conversion someone will not go to all that effort.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:25 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Elrico at standard level

You can pretty much tell instantly with a rear window wiper on a gc8 sti. Not sure if this carried over into the GD series though. Otherwise get that tape measure out and start measuring wheel stud distances, that'll make em' sweat :P
Old 13-11-2008, 10:33 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

spuds at standard level

Mmmm, I'll probably give it a miss. Might be too hard to sell later on.
Got my eyes on a MY06 WRX. Its no STi but at least I'll have the cash to tinker with it.

Tags
chassis, sti, wrx