Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-04-2009, 12:38 PM
STI Master

Trexx at standard level
Send a message via Yahoo to Trexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by JME
S202,

Its raw with a GD chassis. LSD front, fixed centre diff i believe and r180 plated rear diff.
tune, diet, coilovers and go racing.
My heart says S202 even though I have never been a Bug fan.

I could get a better spec (as in bulk mods) classic for the $ probably so here in lies the dilema.

Have heard some events require a stock car and the S202 seems like a good choice for that. So B reg doesnt cause issues for events then?
Old 21-04-2009, 12:39 PM
Subaru Tech Division

MKVIGTI at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotydog
(engine back out ATM).
Does this mean more than once

Either they changed something since the early pigs or dam I have been lucky with what I have done with mine.
Old 21-04-2009, 12:41 PM
STI Master

Trexx at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSTi
Does this mean more than once

Either they changed something since the early pigs or dam I have been lucky with what I have done with mine.
Yes

I think they put more glass inside the 08's engine than previously used!
Old 21-04-2009, 12:45 PM
www.dilettante.net

EXPLICIT at standard level
Send a message via MSN to EXPLICIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotydog
My heart says S202

Go with your heart then, cause nothing else will live up to expectation. keep it oem, it'll be more reliable.
Old 21-04-2009, 12:48 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

chee at standard level

whats more reliable out of the two? s202.

ej207, 6 speed, r180, brembos
Old 21-04-2009, 12:50 PM
STI Master

Trexx at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXRW
track car....really depends on your budget and how competitive you want to be.

my heart would say import an S202 (because its the lightest of the gd8's, sti parts galore, 400 made so it has that air of exclusivity and you know it works, witnessed by the success it has had in targa tassie) but then, by the time you finish with it, roll-cage, ecu, diff controller, coilovers, tyres add 15-20grand ontop of the purchase price so it becomes a 60+grand proposition.

i personally think you should buy a racecar already setup saving you a small fortune. frequently visit my105 for the latest offerings as people sell due to upgrading or moving on.

building a racecar from scratch will become a massive financial strain and the older your base car is the more frequent preventative maintanace it will require. a 10+ year old gc8 although still can be very competitive and uber reliable but it is getting long in the tooth and the technology in the later model cars would run rings around it.

check goo-net every so often, usually 10+ s202's for sale at any given time.

s-series for satisfaction!
Theres a few on Goo-net - thanks. Been looking on Yahoo Japan and there are a few there too in Tokyo but bablefish a little hard to use.
Old 21-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Subaru Tech Division

scoobygez at standard level

as everyon else is saying get the s202.....

or if it was me how about a a sti8 spec c r ra?
Old 21-04-2009, 01:04 PM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

Remember that it costs about the same to cage a 94 wrx worth $7-8k as it does a brand new STi. i.e get the latest shell you can afford.

Dont even contemplate building yourself a car. It is a 12 month plus project and costs bulk cash more than buying one already done. Been there done that and it is a world of hurt.

I know you said you just want to be able to go for a thrash but you need to decide now if you are going to get more serious. Basically for all events except any of the targa west / targa tassie etc the mods are a free for all. if you have any intention of doing a targa west you need to keep the thing stock. you can change the ecu / brakes / struts but that is about all. You are not even allowed something as innocent as a pod filter.

You also need to think about running costs. They get out of control real quick. And it is not like a road car where you say "oh it is only leaking a little bit of oil, i'll just top it up every couple of weeks'. If something is even close to breaking you need to fix it straight away.

If you want a better idea on running costs flick me a pm. Just make sure you are sitting down when you are doing it.

Also I would be interest in a part exchange of my track car for your 08 sti (i.e. my car and my cash your way) if you want out of it. I want to punish myself again and build a new track car.

Cheers

Brendon
Old 21-04-2009, 01:28 PM
STI Master

Trexx at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by urabus
Remember that it costs about the same to cage a 94 wrx worth $7-8k as it does a brand new STi. i.e get the latest shell you can afford.

Dont even contemplate building yourself a car. It is a 12 month plus project and costs bulk cash more than buying one already done. Been there done that and it is a world of hurt.

I know you said you just want to be able to go for a thrash but you need to decide now if you are going to get more serious. Basically for all events except any of the targa west / targa tassie etc the mods are a free for all. if you have any intention of doing a targa west you need to keep the thing stock. you can change the ecu / brakes / struts but that is about all. You are not even allowed something as innocent as a pod filter.

You also need to think about running costs. They get out of control real quick. And it is not like a road car where you say "oh it is only leaking a little bit of oil, i'll just top it up every couple of weeks'. If something is even close to breaking you need to fix it straight away.

If you want a better idea on running costs flick me a pm. Just make sure you are sitting down when you are doing it.

Also I would be interest in a part exchange of my track car for your 08 sti (i.e. my car and my cash your way) if you want out of it. I want to punish myself again and build a new track car.

Cheers

Brendon
Thanks for the input Brendon and thanks for the offer re car.

For me its about seat time - I have very little experience driving and I dont think a WRC car would even do much for me in the short term.

My thinking is I could easily drop 20K into the 08 STI but I would have a car I dont want to brake as I need day to day, so why not drop the money into something I can use to improve as a driver and then in a couple of years if I am so inclined drop bigger $ into a project (or someone elses).

I was intending to buy a nice boat but decided I would rather spend my weekends driving for now. The car in the short term will be a lot cheaper than the boat Ive been looking at and if in a couple of years I dont want to drive anymore I can buy a boat then. Plus, I think some of my companies names may show up on the car - gotta have a sponsor or two

Last edited by Trexx; 21-04-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Old 21-04-2009, 01:39 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

danman at standard level

I'd suggest you go to the CAMS manual and read the 'Tarmac Rally Technical Regulations - Modern' as even if you do not ant to build the car for tarmac rally the person who buys it off you may.

A ferw things to consider based on my recent experience:
1. How much money is in the budget to build the car? Add 50% to whatever you think it will cost
2. Do you have the skills and more importantly the desire to continue working through the project when it gets hard? If it wasn't for a few mates my evo would still look like a shell. But it is satisfying when it is finished (almost)
3. What do you want to do with it?
4. As someone said obtaining B reg is very difficult at the moment, I understand that even getting long term permits is getting harder.
5. When refering to tarmac rallying the base car you start with impacts the competition weight. So a Spec C MAY be a better coice that an S202 as your race weight will be lower.

Hope that helps.

Tags
classic, s202