Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   S202 or Classic (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/26185-s202-classic.html)

Trexx 21-04-2009 12:13 PM

S202 or Classic

Toying with a few options for a track only car.

Need to draw on that pool of opinions that is P-Diddy.

One option is to buy a B-Reg classic sti already imported and presumably start spending $ unless I find one with some work done.

Another option is to import a classic sti myself on B reg and again presumably start spending $

yet another option is buy a WA reg Classic WRX (sti blows budget) but not spend many $ on it.

Last option is buy an S202 and import on B reg but probably not spend many $ on it.

So what are the pro's and cons of each as a track car only? Bearing in mind are there events that I cant do with any of the cars due to being imported. Not looking at serious racing just a car to thrash that I dont mind breaking.

Opinions (apart from "do a search") appreciated.

RUSSGT 21-04-2009 12:22 PM

Awesome options all of them really. Classic has potential due to being lighter but if it was me i and money wasnt an issue i would go the s202! Awesome car!

RSR-WRC 21-04-2009 12:23 PM

Well my opinion would be to go for option 2.

you can hand pick your car, and most times you will get a half or full bolt in cage from the old owner which is a plus.

And some modifications have been preformed on the car. e.g., exhaust, coilovers, turbo, ecu Ect (the basics)

But the end question is how much do you want to spend?

What’s your goal with the car?

MKVIGTI 21-04-2009 12:24 PM

[QUOTE=spotydog]Not looking at serious racing just a car to thrash that I dont mind breaking.
[/QUOTE]

Unless you really are serious about making the last few tenths possible and spending big dollars on keeping the thing running I would vote for two options.

1. Look for a reasonably cheep already prepped car that probably isn't a winner but will save you a lot of work. Who gives a crap what it looks like.

2. Buy old bunky, throw a cage in it, do basic stuff such as brakes, sways etc and plan on upgrading as you break things.

If your going to really enjoy it and push it pretty hard you don't want something really nice that you will worry about bending.

chee 21-04-2009 12:27 PM

s202.

BN01 21-04-2009 12:29 PM

RA. Do it.

WRXRW 21-04-2009 12:29 PM

track car....really depends on your budget and how competitive you want to be.

my heart would say import an S202 (because its the lightest of the gd8's, sti parts galore, 400 made so it has that air of exclusivity and you know it works, witnessed by the success it has had in targa tassie) but then, by the time you finish with it, roll-cage, ecu, diff controller, coilovers, tyres add 15-20grand ontop of the purchase price so it becomes a 60+grand proposition.

i personally think you should buy a racecar already setup saving you a small fortune. frequently visit my105 for the latest offerings as people sell due to upgrading or moving on.

building a racecar from scratch will become a massive financial strain and the older your base car is the more frequent preventative maintanace it will require. a 10+ year old gc8 although still can be very competitive and uber reliable but it is getting long in the tooth and the technology in the later model cars would run rings around it.

check goo-net every so often, usually 10+ s202's for sale at any given time.

s-series for satisfaction!

Kato 21-04-2009 12:30 PM

S202 would be the best car out of the lot. However, if it is for B-reg only, you don't need the luxuries of the S202, so a lightweight spec c would be the best option.

Remember it is very tough to get a B-reg car in these days (Need Level 3 Cams) as they are supposedly cracking down on those bringing them in on L2S.

B-reg becomes limited as to what road driving you can do, but better if you need to cage.

Keeping the car stock allows it to be entered into more competions, as many have strict guidlines on what can and can't be modded. This is where a later model spec c is the winner.

Trexx 21-04-2009 12:31 PM

[QUOTE=BlackSTi]

If your going to really enjoy it and push it pretty hard you don't want something really nice that you will worry about bending.[/QUOTE]

THe 08 STI I have is the car I wouldnt want to brake - mainly cause I use it to get to work and wouldnt want to be without it due to track day damage or repairs. Plus voiding the warrenty is an issue if I started doing timed events etc in it - and I have needed that warrenty a lot! (engine back out ATM).

I can afford to bend the track only cars mentioned as options.

EXPLICIT 21-04-2009 12:33 PM

S202,

Its raw with a GD chassis. LSD front, fixed centre diff i believe and r180 plated rear diff.
tune, diet, coilovers and go racing.