Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-05-2009, 03:30 PM
Subaru Tech Division

scoobygez at standard level

Justa though are cars over put into groups like the uk does ie group 20 insurance being the highest (scoobys are between 17 and 19) anf the likes of a charade are group 4... =charade nice and cheap/scooby very dear to insure lol

doing that and making insurance compulsory will help the problem just not cure it....
Old 16-05-2009, 03:34 PM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level

compulsory driving training/certification > compulsory insurance

either way, its senseless to single out a particular car make as dangerous etc
Old 16-05-2009, 03:36 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Exactly just group all cars in catagory easy done higher cat equals higher ins....
Old 16-05-2009, 03:41 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSTi
The thing that puts things in perspective for me is being in the old automatic Sigma with the old man when I was a kid and him taking most of the trip from Yorktown to Edithburg to get the old tonne out of the thing (23 km trip and sat on 155 till he found a big enough hill ).

The Pig stock did 161KP/h stock in the 400m at the plex.

Have teenagers abilities ( or sensibilities ) behind the wheel improved to cope with this sort of performance differential??? If anything I would say teenagers these days are even less prepared than they were 20 years ago when the old man would take you out and teach you on some of the dirt back roads well before you were allowed on the road.
Its nothing to do with performance, its attitude and driver training.

Anything remotely new can get to more then enough speed to get you into serious trouble.

I have a pic from my Getz rental in Sydney last year doing 190kmh.

A getz is something almost every single person would claim to be a "sensible" p plater car, and im sure any kid could have gotten to the same speed on the same stretch of road.

The problem is being young and less experienced, they also think they can do that down a normal suburban street or poorly lit winding road at night, and this is when shit goes wrong.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 16-05-2009, 03:56 PM
Flat Four Father

Pimpreza at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobygez
Justa though are cars over put into groups like the uk does ie group 20 insurance being the highest (scoobys are between 17 and 19) anf the likes of a charade are group 4... =charade nice and cheap/scooby very dear to insure lol

doing that and making insurance compulsory will help the problem just not cure it....
Maybe if it was restricted to under 25's but why should everyone suffer.......coont of an idea.
It's sort of in here anyhow, an 18yo will pay much less to insure a Corolla for 15g than a WRX but it's more age related here so I think it works better but I agree on compulsory ins.
Yamaha Zooma 50cc rocket hopefully going with the Transit.

Last edited by Pimpreza; 16-05-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 16-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Subaru Tech Division

its age related in the uk too ie over 25 it comes right down on a scooby as opposed to be being 18 or 20

typical example under 19 they wont touch yaat 21 if your lucky you mat get insured but its gonna cost around 2/3k gbp and thats with ncb too

25 and over your looking at around 1k gbp full ncb's
30 and over your looking at 400 quid with full ncb's
Old 16-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Subaru Tech Division

MKVIGTI at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejay
Its nothing to do with performance, its attitude and driver training.
Whilst I don't disagree with the attitude or training the vehicle performance does make a big difference.

A Modded STi provides many more opportunities for a quick squirt to a higher speed than a getz would and feel considerably more comfortable doing it.

My old kinga ( after the recon motor went in ) topped the old tonne once just to have been there and I was shitting myself and never did it again. The STi is very comfortable considerably faster. It does make a difference to weather you will give it a go or not.
Old 18-05-2009, 09:20 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

deviant at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpreza
Maybe if it was restricted to under 25's but why should everyone suffer.......coont of an idea.
It's sort of in here anyhow, an 18yo will pay much less to insure a Corolla for 15g than a WRX but it's more age related here so I think it works better but I agree on compulsory ins.
Not everyone will suffer though. The average A-to-B driver that buys base model cars and treats them like white goods will always end up with cheap insurance. Young people wont get immediate access to high risk cars and by the time they are 25 the insurance will have come down or if they have a history of driving convictions and accidents the fast cars will always be out of reach.

The gummint will never change driver education. Its to expensive to reform the system and the attitudes to driving and driver education are to ingrained in to society...can you imagine the outcry if people had to have compulsory lessons they had to pay money for and had to work hard to get a license instead of doing 8 hours with dad before breezing through an inconsistent test that lasted 15 minutes.
Old 18-05-2009, 11:11 AM
Subaru Tech Division

Adr3naL1N at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Adr3naL1N

nothings ever gonna change because politicians will never chnage their view, in most cases its the driver, underskilled, not the car, but they wont invest in driver training coz its costs them money, instead theyll impose heftier fines etc. They make money out of it, and it looks like they are doing something againt speeding and helping reduce crashing.

Alot of it is just sensationalised by the media, i.e someone crashes a getz and kills a passenger, its reported, but just a small article, and or segment in the news, no hype, then someone crashes a v8, skyline or wrx and its a 15 min report on the news, or a page article in the paper, not just on the crash but blabs on about the whole hoon scene and how penalties need to be tougher and what polticians are thinking of doing. its crap and always will be
Old 18-05-2009, 01:49 PM