Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-07-2009, 05:57 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

woobla at standard level
Default Could it be me?

Hi guys. I really really need to vent!!.

Ok so I was trying to do the intake snorkle removal mod that sounds so easy!!! (GC8) . Well it looks easy but it doesn't help when those crappy plastic screws are allready pre-threaded and almost unable to turn ( plus I threaded them some more during my efforts). So I could not get those off, so the mod couldn't go ahead.

Secondly as I was doing this in the evening near darkness but had a LED torch with me, I noticed that all over my paintwork it has very fine swirl marks (scratches) like somebody has been polishing incorrectly... Now I have been polishing recently and have never noticed these before. Please tell me I wasn't the one who did it?.

I rinsed the car, then gave it a wash with some Mcguiars premium car wash and used one of those wool mits. Then I rinsed it all off, Then I dried it with a cloth (auto cloth)

Then I applied some Mcguiars premium auto wax to a dry applicator (the yellow piece of cheese) and started swirling it into the paint work. Then I would let it dry for a minute the swirl it off with a micro fibre towel. Forced use was moderate. I didn't use a light touch.

PLEASE tell me I haven't missed a step?. I followed the Mcguiars directions as it said on the bottle. AND YES I KNOW I SOUND LIKE A TARD AND PERHAPS I Am.. but 4 years of uni studying a random degree + no car have removed the MAN in me !!!.

Last edited by woobla; 23-07-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 23-07-2009, 06:07 PM
STI Master

meatbag at standard level

swirls are always going to appear no matter how carefull you are.

Just get a professional polish once a year or so to get rid of them. Dont try and do it yourself, you can and will do some real damage.
Old 23-07-2009, 06:24 PM
Subaru Tech Division

astralex knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to astralex

Yawn
Old 23-07-2009, 06:51 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

deviant at standard level

There probably are swirls in the clearcoat of the paint from years of washing, weather and cack handed polishing, some of the swirls will just be in the wax.

It sounds like you did the right thing with polishing but you also need to have a look at your washing technique...most people use a pressure washer to blast off the crap then sluice it down with a hose and then use a wash mitt to clean it. Have one bucket of soapy water (car shampoo not washing up liquid!) and another bucket of just water to wash the mitt off so you dont end up with crud in the soapy water. Use a microfibre noodle mitt. I also use a man made chamois as it soaks up so much water.

If you want a really crystal sharp paint job then you would really need to start calling around some detailers for quotes on a paint correction...they will come and wash your car to the point that all the years of wax and grime are gone (your car will look shite at that stage!) but then they will build up multiple layers of wax again which will be completely swirl free and so glass like that dirt will just hose off, its not cheap though.
Old 23-07-2009, 06:58 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

ECOSSE at standard level

Never use a circular motion when washing/drying or waxing and throw away the yellow cloth that you got with the wax as it can scratch the paint if any sand or dust particles are in the pad.

Always wash/dry and wax the pannel from left to right being careful not to swirl.

Always wash in the shade and never wash if your car is hot and been in the sun as it will leave water marks on paint and due to it drying fast, the sun also throws dust particals on your car which also can cause swirl marks when you wash it incorrectley.

Try at least wax it two times a year as will protect your paint.
Old 23-07-2009, 07:07 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

mARC at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by woobla View Post
Hi guys. I really really need to vent!!.

Ok so I was trying to do the intake snorkle removal mod that sounds so easy!!! (GC8) . Well it looks easy but it doesn't help when those crappy plastic screws are allready pre-threaded and almost unable to turn ( plus I threaded them some more during my efforts). So I could not get those off, so the mod couldn't go ahead.
If you are talking about plastic screws that go into a case that expand out, best way to get them off if they dont freely thread, is to buy a pick pick and then get inbetween them and pry it out that way. This sometimes leads to having to replace them or to rage that makes you need to replace them, but they are fairly cheap to buy so I'ed not sweat it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woobla View Post
Secondly as I was doing this in the evening near darkness but had a LED torch with me, I noticed that all over my paintwork it has very fine swirl marks (scratches) like somebody has been polishing incorrectly... Now I have been polishing recently and have never noticed these before. Please tell me I wasn't the one who did it?..
As mentioned this is just wear and tear, usage of high pressure sprays, people whom lean on the car etc, I wouldnt fret, this is common and is even prevalent on show cars, using an LED light and catching the paint work on the right angle is going to show it a lot more, but otherwise meh?

Dont know what your detailing routine is, but try using some claybar (note this isnt a polish, its like an ultra fine wet and dry).

I've always found that the turtle wax that comes in the green tin is a good polish to use and gives a really good finish (but now days im hooked on this waterless detailing kit ive got, though you still need to wash your rims ).

Wouldnt be concerned mang, its pretty common, as long as you wax your car when required you're giving it all the love it needs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECOSSE View Post
Try at least wax it two times a year as will protect your paint.
Based on that quote I've got a serious OCD issue I'ed wax my car more then that in a month

Last edited by mARC; 23-07-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 23-07-2009, 09:03 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

woobla at standard level

lol, thanks for all the replies. I too am a bit OCD with the waxing.. Once a week so far :P.

I will watch my motions, and see what happens . Thanks guys !!.
Old 24-07-2009, 06:25 AM
STI Master

daveygravey at standard level

''wax on wax off daniel son'' its all in the technique
Old 24-07-2009, 07:06 AM
Sign me up!
uh oh

gumby at standard level
Send a message via MSN to gumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mARC View Post
......Based on that quote I've got a serious OCD issue I'ed wax my car more then that in a month
If you like waxing cars so much, your welcome to do mine.
Old 24-07-2009, 07:58 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

I like waxing one off in the dark too.

Tags
boongs piss off, drilling ikea furniture = fail!, i like aeroplane jelly, polish your knob it's more fun, wax on wax off, wax one in her