Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2009, 10:41 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Master D knows their stuff
Default Dilemma!?!?!?

Ok, So ive had the RS For 3yrs now.. Its nearly 200,000kms old.

Im now quite satisfied with car as is but its slow..... and its still fun to drive - around corners but when i lean on the loud pedal its just lacking the power to have some fun...

So ive been thinking about my options: Sell It, Live with it or drop some money on it & make it something fun:-D...

Now really cost wise (correct me if im wrong) ultimately ill be spending a butt load of cash for what is essentially still just a wrx but with a 200k old chassis. Now in your opinions is it really worth trying to re invent the wheel by doing something like this? thinking that i dont have the know how to do the work myself or the room to.

i would like to get and do some track days and continue doin the AHG days but i can afford to get a little more nuts with it as come the end of the year it wont be on daily driver duties anymore and ill have some extra money by then

im aimin to make something happen in around 6 or so months so im just trying to get something sorted and have an idea of where to head with it. I really still heart my DAKDAK. Ive driven some XR6Ts and i like them but i still like the grip and the noise my car makes and the wrx's are just sublime.

So Anyways cheers for the advice and thoughts in advance.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Sir AntiLag

WHITEMY08 at standard level

Do it!
Old 11-08-2009, 07:32 AM
Sign me up!
The Converter

GX-REX at standard level

How much do you have to spend on it?
How much would you get if you sold your car as is now?

If you intend on rebuilding it as a standard WRX I would say dont do it as the cost involved is not worth it. Especially when you consider that Tom has a white bugeye WRX for sale for $17g with a freshly built engine. If you were thinking of building something special like a S202 and money is not an issue then go for it by all means.

Alot of the money involved in a conversion is tied up in labour. If you can do it yourself then you can save alot of money.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:56 AM
Subaru Tech Division

MKVIGTI at standard level

Track days + STi = .

Buy something that has 90% of the work done for you. Way cheeper and a lot less frustration.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:07 AM
STI Master

Taktics at standard level

Stip it, smash some JDM stuff in it!
Old 11-08-2009, 06:54 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

woobla at standard level

Based on my experience... I would do either nothing to the car, or only a few modifications. Have you had it serviced recently, or is it just an old worn engine?.

I don't really see the point of spending a lot of money on a very old car. Unless you plan to keep it for a long time, make a collector car out of it (like one of those cordias). You could be better just to sell it now, or have some fun with it and save your money for something with a lot more recent shell.

I was always a bit hesitant about spending money (dead money) on something that old, that is unless you are swimming in cash. Good luck with what ever you do.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Sign me up!
The Converter

GX-REX at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by woobla View Post
Based on my experience... I would do either nothing to the car, or only a few modifications. Have you had it serviced recently, or is it just an old worn engine?.

I don't really see the point of spending a lot of money on a very old car. Unless you plan to keep it for a long time, make a collector car out of it (like one of those cordias). You could be better just to sell it now, or have some fun with it and save your money for something with a lot more recent shell.

I was always a bit hesitant about spending money (dead money) on something that old, that is unless you are swimming in cash. Good luck with what ever you do.
His car is not that old. Its newer than yours.
I am thinking you saw RS and thought RS lib?
His car is a N/A RS bugeye
Old 11-08-2009, 07:35 PM

Master D knows their stuff

Cheers for the replys guys.

Quote:
GX-REX - How much do you have to spend on it?
How much would you get if you sold your car as is now?

If you intend on rebuilding it as a standard WRX I would say dont do it as the cost involved is not worth it. Especially when you consider that Tom has a white bugeye WRX for sale for $17g with a freshly built engine. If you were thinking of building something special like a S202 and money is not an issue then go for it by all means.

Alot of the money involved in a conversion is tied up in labour. If you can do it yourself then you can save alot of money.
corrie: Id look to be spendin around $10-15k if i did do it. The car as it stands is worth stuff all as a trade. i'd imagine somewhere around $10k as a private sale. Id like to make something special but funds certainly ain't unlimited:-D

Quote:
BlackSTi Track days + STi =

Buy something that has 90% of the work done for you. Way cheeper and a lot less frustration.
I think that sounds like a great idea.. pity most 02-03 STI's are still around the 28-30k mark. doesnt mean a strong wrx wont be as good as a sti. But really keen on the track days.

Quote:
WHITEMY08 - Do it!
I Will - When i know what it is. Ill Certainly Do it!

Cheers for the replys guys!
Old 11-08-2009, 08:01 PM

Strubaru knows their stuff

if i was you i would be seeing jeff [type25] and buying his whole 06 spec c conversion for 20k, would be so sweet

link: http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/showthre...t=23434&page=2
Old 11-08-2009, 08:03 PM
Sign me up!
The Converter

GX-REX at standard level

If you like everything about your car except the lack of power I would consider this;
http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/sale-cars-only/27139-my01-bug-eye-new-forged-motor.html
Has a freshly built forged motor and hardly been driven since. Has been over pits so everything on it is legit. Gives a good base for building up. Any special gear on your car can be transferred across. Should get $10k for your car so would only be about $7g out of pocket.
Or you could get a spec c conversion done on your current car but you are looking around $25g for that.

Tags
dilemma