Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-10-2009, 09:43 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

Liberate at standard level
Default Such is life. Thank you Perth-wrx for fixing my ride :D

hi

okay so the story goes, on impulse i bought a subaru liberty wagon that had a RS turbo conversion on it. i won't name names, or point fingers but i just need some advice. I paid too much, but at the time i wanted something that was useful, practical and reliable. Now the car is only useful, but because of its mods it's become impractical and unreliable. I was promised a lot of things, hence i thought the car was worth it. I'm all in favour for engine swaps as long as the car is good.

long story short, i bought a lemon and paid top dollar for it.

What do i do now?

it needs a new steering rack (i was told it's a minor leak, so i assumed it's just a seal, common rack and pinion fault, turns out the actual rack itself is fucked and pissing out of a boot), drive shaft seal, new strut tops, suspension bushes are fucked but can hold for a little while.. tyres are undersized and over-load for weight.. and because of the ballbearing turbo, the car is actually being restricted because it still has W2A intercooler and standard airbox, hence very very slow spooling times and
very irregular power delivery.

to date i've already replaced fuel tank senders (common problem), regassed the aircon (crack in the line and seal), new nardi wheel, new immobiliser (old one was fucked and dangerous, would cut the car out and do stupid things).. this alone already cost me close to 1000 bucks.. i've actually ordered a few parts which have come in (new air to air intercooler, low restriction induction kit, 18" wheels).. but because of shit that's been happening to the car i really can't afford anymore..

and to fix the rest of the things wrong with it, would pretty much bring the total up anywhere between 4 to 5 grand.

i won't get any of my money back for it, and the car is pretty much sitting on a hoist at a workshop because i'm dead broke as i underestimated the amount of work needed for it. Trust me to be so gullible.

Asking around, i'd only get back roughly 40% of what i paid for it. i'm happy with a 30% loss but given the condition of the car and the bullshit i've had to deal with, i'm going to be raped.

my options are
1. sell it as it is, accept low-ball offers and just let myself be ass-raped, but cut my losses?
2. strip car down and sell it for parts, which isn't very feasible as who'd pay any money for a near 18 year old engine, 10 year old gearbox? turbo is probably most valuable, but most wreckers sell them for 650 bucks or so..
3. crash it and claim it off insurance? bear in mind insured value according to market price is barely 60% of what i paid and i'd be very lucky to get back the full insured value amount.
4. take another loan to fix it? i doubt it's worth it, but it is an option, just one i'm not prepared to take as i've already coughed up so much.

i've offered the previous owner back for a 3500 loss to me, but no deal.. so... keep the ass-rape jokes to a minimum as i really feel violated as it is.. my wallet is empty and my bum is sore

Last edited by Liberate; 22-10-2009 at 03:38 PM.
Old 19-10-2009, 09:55 PM
Sir AntiLag

cowboydave at standard level

Why don't you just buy a bunky to drive around in and fix the lib slowly when you can afford it.
Old 19-10-2009, 10:06 PM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level

^^whs

you wait, fix it, and learn from the experience.
i dont think it will be that expensive to get in working order, if you are smart with the money and shop around, buy 2nd hand etc... and do some research!

i wont make any jokes, but you had it coming if you didnt do your research. older performance cars are not particularly known for their reliability...if you want reliable, sell up and buy a corolla. but you can learn a lot and have fun with your rs wagon....

good luck mate. if you decide taking the road to repair, start a driveway thread, post some pics and keep us updated on the car's progress, and you should get loads of help along the way!
Old 19-10-2009, 10:10 PM
Subaru Tech Division

scoobygez at standard level

You sound like you know what your talking about why didnt you take that commen sense with you when you went to the buy the car??

If it was me and i got sold a lemon as you say you did, i would get rid of it and cut my losses and next time make sure i take a mate with me who knows what he is doing when it comes to buying cars or get some one who knows.......

At the end of the day the seller aint to blame its you, you should of had your wits about you, if everyone who was selling a car told you everything that was actually wrong with the car (if they knew it was wrong) you like me would of just walked away!!!

As the olde saying goes "BUYER BEWARE" anyway good luck on what you decide to do.......
Old 19-10-2009, 10:22 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

it needs a new steering rack: $100 for a used liberty rack
drive shaft seal: less than $10 an 1/2 an hours work
new strut tops: Fit used WRX strut tops less than $100
suspension bushes: which ones?

What rims & tyres are on it? What size rims?

"because of the ballbearing turbo, the car is actually being restricted, it still has W2A intercooler and standard airbox, hence very very slow spooling times and very irregular power deliver" <--that's just bullshit...
The stock RS water to Air will support up to about 180kw @ 16-17 psi no problem at all...Sound like a tuning issue.

That setup with say a vf23 should make around 200hp atw @ 16 psi

What ecu is in your car?
Who tuned it?
What turbo is actually on the car now?
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 19-10-2009, 10:25 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

Liberate at standard level

scoobygez.. i was told to look out for you by several forum members when i joined up... now i know why..

i'm not going to bother with your post but i will say this again for everyone else's benefit

1. i'm not blaming anyone but myself for my predicament
2. i never said it's the seller's fault or what not. it's my fault and mine entirely for believing him. i was tired and frustrated in looking for cars and this guy genuinely had love for his car hence why i believed him.
3. i just want to know other people's opinions if you were in my position, no 'should've could've would've' and no ass-rape as right now, i work 2 jobs, have student loans to pay off, and honestly don't need any of this bullshit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobygez View Post
You sound like you know what your talking about why didnt you take that commen sense with you when you went to the buy the car??

If it was me and i got sold a lemon as you say you did, i would get rid of it and cut my losses and next time make sure i take a mate with me who knows what he is doing when it comes to buying cars or get some one who knows.......

At the end of the day the seller aint to blame its you, you should of had your wits about you, if everyone who was selling a car told you everything that was actually wrong with the car (if they knew it was wrong) you like me would of just walked away!!!

As the olde saying goes "BUYER BEWARE" anyway good luck on what you decide to do.......
Old 19-10-2009, 10:25 PM

Elrico at standard level

Hmmmm perhaps im reading it wrong, or you didnt comprehend the english scoobygez, it sounds like he was told about the steering rack.....not everything, so im not sure excactly how much of it is the buyers fault. On the other hand, unfortunatley, an 18 year old car is getting long in the tooth. Items will begin to deteriorate as per wear and tear. Its not really a car forums choice as to what you do with it.

Personally depending on what cash you have avaliable would depend on what you can do. Id sell it and buy a proper RS if you are still keen on the RS's. Otherwise id go for a WRX/STi and be happy with the reliability. Good luck mate.
Old 19-10-2009, 10:28 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

woobla at standard level

What the others have said is true.

Weigh up the REAL options, none of this illegal rubbish. You will get caught out or someone will dob you in. Always happens, and they are jailing insurance fraud people these days, plus you lose the car. here is my take on it.

1. As the dude said hold on to it, and slowly fix it up. Get some friends from Pwrx or the liberty forums to help you out. Show you how to fix things etc. Also speak to Jim Hall from blue star mobile mechanic, he often has lots of contacts for second hand parts etc.. He saved me about 3000 on a real lemon. But this will still cause you stress and you will constantly think about it.

2. Get rid of the fucking thing for what you can. Then there is no stress, no hassle any more. Yes you will have debt, but who cares, it is easily paid off in time and in a few weeks you will totally have forgotten about it. People are always in debt one way or the other.

How much did you pay for it? and what do you think you can get for it?. It sucks you got ripped off man, I've had it happen to me before and it is F'd up but karma comes around. Use it as a learning experience and never buy a second hand performance car and expect it hasn't been thrashed the shit out of.

If you do sell it , don't lie to the seller and perhaps you will be rewarded the next time around. "As you sow so shall you reap". Take a deep breath get rid of it and relax.

Last edited by woobla; 19-10-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Old 19-10-2009, 10:31 PM

Mister Two at standard level

modern VF turbos are fine on the water to air setup. If its spooling slow and not giving smooth power its probably something else. AFM, air leak, coils?.. All easy fix.

Chuck up a wanted thread on rslibertyclub.org.

A good second hand steering rack shouldn't be more than $250.

Drive shaft seals are about $27 each from Subaru. About 1 hour to replace each one.

Strut tops are $50 MAX each second hand on RSLC

Which suspension bushes are worn? You can get free front control arms around if you ask. Rear arms are no more than $200 for a set.

Just checking through my parts.

Ive got a pair of good 03 OEM front strut tops you can have for $50. Comes with free 03 Front struts in good condition.
Ive also got a pair of front control arms you can have for free. The front bushes are in good condition.
Ive got the front control arm rear bush setup - $20.

Dtrally will more than likely have a steering rack for you for cheap.

Last edited by Mister Two; 19-10-2009 at 10:35 PM.
Old 19-10-2009, 10:32 PM
Subaru Tech Division

scoobygez at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberate View Post
scoobygez.. i was told to look out for you by several forum members when i joined up... now i know why..

i'm not going to bother with your post but i will say this again for everyone else's benefit

1. i'm not blaming anyone but myself for my predicament
2. i never said it's the seller's fault or what not. it's my fault and mine entirely for believing him. i was tired and frustrated in looking for cars and this guy genuinely had love for his car hence why i believed him.
3. i just want to know other people's opinions if you were in my position, no 'should've could've would've' and no ass-rape as right now, i work 2 jobs, have student loans to pay off, and honestly don't need any of this bullshit.
Lol you was told to look out for me??!!! we back at school are we??!!!

Maybe you had it coming then eh with that attitude
Closed Thread