Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-10-2009, 10:32 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

woobla at standard level

Perth WRX is helping u allready :P. good bunch of ppl on here. I am sure equally on liberty forums.
Old 19-10-2009, 10:33 PM
STI Master

norwest_rumbler at standard level

sad story, sorry to hear.
whats the body like?

either way if i was in your situation, i rekon i would sell it- certainly wouldnt be putting 18" rims on it.
good luck

Last edited by norwest_rumbler; 19-10-2009 at 10:38 PM.
Old 19-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

Liberate at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
it needs a new steering rack: $100 for a used liberty rack
drive shaft seal: less than $10 an 1/2 an hours work
new strut tops: Fit used WRX strut tops less than $100
suspension bushes: which ones?

What rims & tyres are on it? What size rims?

"because of the ballbearing turbo, the car is actually being restricted, it still has W2A intercooler and standard airbox, hence very very slow spooling times and very irregular power deliver" <--that's just bullshit...
The stock RS water to Air will support up to about 180kw @ 16-17 psi no problem at all...Sound like a tuning issue.

That setup with say a vf23 should make around 200hp atw @ 16 psi

What ecu is in your car?
Who tuned it?
What turbo is actually on the car now?
i like this post well done... this is exactly what i was looking for

okay i can't find liberty steering racks, and most of them i look around for in the wrecker are 300 bucks. SOme in the quokka ask me to go and pull it out myself.. no dice, no fkn idea what i'm doing there especially under a car.

drive-shaft seal i was quoted 30 bucks for a genuine item as that's what's recommended, aftermarket would just leak anyway, and is 1/2 hour of labour. this is affordable but 1+1 = 2 and being a small problem i'll leave this to last.

Strut top bearings from a WRX fit? less than $100 bucks? from where? note that i have HSD coilovers in there..

suspension bushes = sway bars and control arm, most are wear and tear but some are split or perished..

i've got MY99 16" 5 spoke rims, on a 215/40 tyre i think.. i might be wrong when i say weight overload, the profile is definitely too thin, but the tyres are wearing unevenly. that plus i've pretty much shredded the tyres on a very conservative squirt around the block.

issue with the turbo.. it's a VF34, off a spec C i was told. water to air seems to restrict it, and the intake hose has a few too many bends for my liking. It hits full spool at 3500 rpms and on full throttle, turbo will hit full boost very suddenly (0.9 bar in 2nd gear, equates to around 14 psi?) . it's supposedly have a group N ecu chip that's tuned by some famous mob in wangara but i've been given like 5 different names. While trying to sort this turbo issue out, i've driven a stock standard liberty rs turbo sedan, with 300,000 kms on the clock, and it accelerated twice as hard on stock boost levels. i was told my setup should return 160 hp at the wheels but i doubt it's anywhere close to that. a few people have suggested the w2a intercooler and intake pipe is causing the turbo to spool late, hence i have on standby an air to air intercooler.. no idea what's going on there as i don't know what size the w2a intercooler is or what it's capable of.. different people got different opinions, and what you say is the first i've heard of it.
Old 19-10-2009, 10:43 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Mister Two at standard level

I don't think it has to be a liberty steering rack. Any Gc8 impreza one will fit also.
Old 19-10-2009, 10:43 PM

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

What he said^^ (I thought they were the same but wasn't sure)

Can you please post some pics of the Turbo and Intake setup?

I'd consider a vf34 a BIG turbo for such a mild setup....Especially running sub 1 bar.
It's bound to be laggy....what is doing the boost control?

Speak to John at wheels world for your suspension issues, I reckon it's under $600 worth of repairs including a 4 wheel alignment.

What ecu is in it? a Possum link with the group N chip?
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]

Last edited by Rossco; 19-10-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old 19-10-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Two View Post
modern VF turbos are fine on the water to air setup. If its spooling slow and not giving smooth power its probably something else. AFM, air leak, coils?.. All easy fix.

Chuck up a wanted thread on rslibertyclub.org.

A good second hand steering rack shouldn't be more than $250.

Drive shaft seals are about $27 each from Subaru. About 1 hour to replace each one.

Strut tops are $50 MAX each second hand on RSLC

Which suspension bushes are worn? You can get free front control arms around if you ask. Rear arms are no more than $200 for a set.

Just checking through my parts.

Ive got a pair of good 03 OEM front strut tops you can have for $50. Comes with free 03 Front struts in good condition.
Ive also got a pair of front control arms you can have for free. The front bushes are in good condition.
Ive got the front control arm rear bush setup - $20.

Dtrally will more than likely have a steering rack for you for cheap.

wow i'm getting so much help already .. can't say how much i appreciate this. it's not that i think i got ripped off, but the car needed so much work i nearly took an offer for half the money i paid for it, that's how desperate i was.

didn't know there's a rsliberty club :P i'll have to check it out. i'm here coz a few mates have wrxs and are members, plus it's based in perth. I was at caltex fuel station at canning bridge once upon a time and like 20 subies rocked up in full thump noise. i said hello to one guy and everyone seemed friendly. back then i had a little hyundai which i had to sell to cough up uni fees

ok i'm keen on those strut tops. are the struts and tops interchangeable with early liberty and late model wrxes?? i'm not sure about this bit but yea if they are i'll definitely get it.

also who how can i get in touch with dtrally?
Old 19-10-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwest_rumbler View Post
sad story, sorry to hear.
whats the body like?

either way if i was in your situation, i rekon i would sell it- certainly wouldnt be putting 18" rims on it.
good luck
hm.. very sold on this idea but.. selling it would cost me more as i mentioned, i won't get anywhere near 60% of what i paid for it..

from the response going in this thread i migth get it up and running properly for a lot less than an arm and leg.. if so i'm going for the FIX option :P
Old 19-10-2009, 10:47 PM

Mister Two at standard level

you can PM dtrally. He's on these forums.

Whats happening with the HSD strut tops? Ive got HSD and they seem to be very durable. Checked the top nut is tight?
Old 19-10-2009, 10:49 PM

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

RS liberty 1992-2000 WRX are basically the same car underneath.

Suspension, Steering etc being the same or interchangeable.

Back to the fun factor (or lack of!) what is controlling the boost?

Is the ECU a Possum link?
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 19-10-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
What he said^^ (I thought they were the same but wasn't sure)

Can you please post some pics of the Turbo and Intake setup?

I'd consider a vf34 a BIG turbo for such a mild setup....Especially running sub 1 bar.
It's bound to be laggy....what is doing the boost control?
i don't have pics, as the car is now in the shop in the air dripping fluids :P

okay imagine the stock liberty rs turbo engine bay, with w2a intercooler, stock airbox.. stock everything. that's what it's exactly like, except with a VF34 turbo under all that.

boost control does sweet F.A. i figured out how it does, but minimal setting is 0.2 kg/cm3 and even at that it hits "boost cut" and the engine basically cuts out and chugs. when i bought the car i was told "it's set, don't touch it" but it's an apexi AVC-r and i know my apexi, so when i actually went to check, it was turned off and just in monitor mode. I believe the boost control is set by the ECU, but apart from the wastegate connected to AVC-R, i'm not sure but the boost level might be mechanically set? that or the ECU's chip has higher boost levels.
Closed Thread