Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-03-2010, 07:51 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Papa Het at standard level
Default B Rego?

Not sure which section to put this in...

Does anyone know much about getting a car 'B' registered?

I did search and found a few threads but at the time of those threads it seemed as though everything was up in the air as to B Reg would even be allowed to exist anymore!

So is it still possible?

Can I buy ANY car and B reg it?

How do you do it...Just rock up to the pits and say you want it B reg?

Once a car is B reg is it open slather on modifications....Rollcage, seats, harness etc? Do you still need permits for each mod?

What about buying an existing B reg car? I have seen a few cars for sale that are B reg but are still stock standard...so could I buy one of these and prep it for track work?

Any help is gratefully received!
Old 30-03-2010, 08:38 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

You don't need permits for mods, as you aren't meant to be driving them on the road. You can only drive them on the road between stages essentially (and other stuff, but yeah).

Essentially think of a B-Reg car as something that will be trailered to events, but if you need to drive on a public road inbetween you can.
Old 30-03-2010, 08:48 PM
STI Master

Fozzy at standard level

Its now called the Dedicated Rally Program.

Car needs to be logged booked by cams and you will need a cage at the very least.
Old 31-03-2010, 12:17 AM
Sign me up!
Handbrake!!

dtrally is a gurudtrally is a guru

B reg cars now have unique rally WA number plates to make them easily recognised if used incorrectly. They will be rolling out the new system progressively (I already have the new plates on both of mine) to weed out the cars that are never used in rallies.
Any competition car that is not used in rallies (tarmac or gravel) arguably doesn't need to be registered at all. That's what car trailers are for.
More info on the new scheme is on rallywa.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Het View Post
so is it still possible?

Yes, it is still possible to register dedicated rally cars under this provision.

Quote:
Can I buy ANY car and B reg it?
No, you cannot register a Statutory write off, even as a rally car.
You cannot register any imported car unless it has an import approval.

Quote:
Once a car is B reg is it open slather on modifications....Rollcage, seats, harness etc? Do you still need permits for each mod?
The car must meet the CAMS requirements and will be inspected at least annually. You do not need permits in the traditional sense. It's not open slather though.

Quote:

What about buying an existing B reg car? I have seen a few cars for sale that are B reg but are still stock standard...so could I buy one of these and prep it for track work?
You cannot transfer a B registered car without prior approval of the Dept for planning and Infrastructure. You must be a CAMS license holder and be aware of the conditions of the licensing scheme. Track cars are not required to be licensed as their races are held away from public roads. Driving to and from a racetrack is not a requirement of any class of track car, therefore it doesn't fit the requirements of the dedicated rally car scheme.
The previous system was abused by many who saw it as a way of licensing cars that were not otherwise suitable for licensing in this country. The new scheme will hopefully address this and make it less of a headache to register a legitimate competition car.

Last edited by dtrally; 31-03-2010 at 12:31 AM.
Old 31-03-2010, 08:11 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

Thanks for the help guys. I think this might be a good avenue for me to look in to.

I have no intention of using a B Reg car daily or for anything other than entering timed events, I want to get in to the SES Series but at the moment dont have a suitable tow car or trailer.

Thanks again.
Old 31-03-2010, 08:24 AM
STI Master

axle at standard level

Here is a grey area.
Would SES be considered track use (therefore no b-reg) or Tarmac rally (hillclimbs etc)?

I'm thinking track use as your not required to use open public roads as a part of the event.

Last edited by axle; 31-03-2010 at 08:30 AM.
Old 31-03-2010, 10:56 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle View Post
Here is a grey area.
Would SES be considered track use (therefore no b-reg) or Tarmac rally (hillclimbs etc)?

I'm thinking track use as your not required to use open public roads as a part of the event.
Hmmm yes that could be a point but they do run at Busselton, Albany and Meelup which I believe are events held on closed public roads.

I believe there is some upset to people wanting to run things like single seaters as there is often a turnaround area or loop back to the start that involves driving on the road.
Old 31-03-2010, 11:12 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Have the car as unregistered.

Trailer it to the event.

Get a permit if you need to travel on a public road.

Sorted.

Unless you need b-reg, I think this is the easiest way for a tarmac car.
Old 31-03-2010, 11:49 AM
Flat Four Father

Pimpreza at standard level

I thought the only reason you could get a permit was for repairs, you must be able to prove where when & who is fixing your car if required by police, I got nailed going a bit fast in my unregistered "permitted" WRX a few months ago at around midnight, luckily the cop was pretty good but he said if he wanted to he could have insisted I have the car towed on the spot as I didn't have anything in writing, just the permit & recipt numbers..............and yes it was being worked on until about 15min earlier.
Yamaha Zooma 50cc rocket hopefully going with the Transit.
Old 31-03-2010, 12:08 PM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

The repair is definately a grey area. What happens if eg you have a hoist and fit your own clutches and want to take it out and bed it in? or just wanted to fill up with fuel before going to the event. Or better still decided to stay at your mates place near the track so you drive to his place the night before. Theoretically you are on your way to an event? In my experience the only time I got into trouble was going pretty fast and had no permit or rego. All the other times I have had a permits or rego and driven normally I have never had an issue and my car is hardly conspicous.

Doug has covered most of the points however the cars that you have seen for sale that say B reg only will 99 times out of a 100 mean that they are unregistered and have no cage however if you build it up etc and get it log booked then you can get it b reg. It took me 3 years to get my car b reg because I did not have the correct papers from when it was imported so be careful.

Brendon

Tags
rego