Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

View Poll Results: Which non-DCCD centre diff is the best?
4Kg (Standard) 4 9.76%
12Kg (Sti) 29 70.73%
20Kg (STi-RA?) 10 24.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2010, 02:51 AM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

i have been running the dccd centre in my 5 speed in a dedicated tarmac rally car. I have blown one up so far but I think that had more to do with 1) driving back from collie with a rear right broken driveshaft and then doing a couple of stages at targa west 08 with a broken rear left driveshaft. When it was stuffed all it diff was absolutely bake the front tyres.

I also run a 1.5 way in the front and the thing drives like a front drive car anyways. Takes massive provocation to get the back to step out even with a 2 way in the rear.

Also bear in mind that in targa spec my car only has about 165kw at the wheels because of the pea shooter.

I think that as I prepare the car again I will put in a fixed diff in the centre.

I usually run the dccd at the first orange light because i feel that suits me but i have no qualitive data on different settings.

Brendon
Old 09-04-2010, 05:09 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

97RA at standard level

I'd defn go the 12kg, don't think they came standard in anything tho'...only a rally upgrade to my knowledge. There is a difference in how the early Sti/StiRa 5 speed open fronts behave and influence handling depending on ratio that I found.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:14 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

nauli knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jEstEr? View Post
I am of agreeance, in any form of motorsport or ahrd use the DCCD centre is really only good on a stockish powered car
I'm glad I have the above (stockish powered car) then!

Last edited by nauli; 09-04-2010 at 08:19 AM.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:08 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RUSSGT is a guruRUSSGT is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nauli View Post
I'm glad I have the above then!
Thats for a 5 speed DCCD box though. You could have heaps of power!
Old 13-04-2010, 08:59 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Tom at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver View Post
cusco tarmac gear is the diff of choice for a tarmac based car, 65/35 rear front power split, has turned our car into an oversteering demon, but with a working front diff, entirely drivable, will not fall apart like a electronic dccd center at around the 300hp mark and is about the $1200 mark making it excellent bang for buck
Spot on.

I have a front (helical torsen) lsd and rear (plated) lsd on my GC8 MY00 - it simply just "punts hard". You you can power in and out of corners, throttle steer stupid and really only have to watching out for swapping ends when you go hard in the wet. No more under steer. ever.

Note however, you've got do these other to front/rear lsds otherwise it won't work properly or safely. As you would also imagine it's well worth upgrading all your other suspension parts too.

Final word - without a doubt these are the best handling mods you can do a bar a DCCD, which even then you'll probably prefer to drive it in a 35/65 set-up.

Cheers
Old 14-04-2010, 08:28 PM
Sir AntiLag

subarooboy at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97RA View Post
I'd defn go the 12kg, don't think they came standard in anything tho'...only a rally upgrade to my knowledge. There is a difference in how the early Sti/StiRa 5 speed open fronts behave and influence handling depending on ratio that I found.
I couldn't agree more with this observation! Unfortunately, apart from a few after work laps (with street tyres, exhaust silencer etc) I never got to test the 12Kg out on the track when fitted up to 4.11 box... was too afraid I'd break another box! But I swear it would've been beaut!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrally View Post
I've never tried a Cusco 35/65 but I reckon it's too much rear. I drove a R32 GT-R once that had lots of power ~ 450 horse, it wasn't fast on the skid pan as there wasn't enough going to the fronts and too much to the rears. I felt unbalanced, nervous and less fun...
From memory Doug... it didn't appear you were having "less fun" that day?? LOL!
Old 24-04-2010, 05:17 PM
Sir AntiLag

Denver at standard level

dunno how you could feel like you went slow in a gt-r, provided you keep the boot into it which keeps the atessa system locked up and pushing drive to the front wheels, they can be driven like a RWD car but will pull where you want them to, they shit all over a WRX for drive out of corners, even with huge amounts of mumbo, but you can't button out, the second you do, its all over..
Old 25-04-2010, 06:22 AM
STI Master

maddog at standard level

Tom
So what center diff do you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Spot on.

I have a front (helical torsen) lsd and rear (plated) lsd on my GC8 MY00 - it simply just "punts hard". You you can power in and out of corners, throttle steer stupid and really only have to watching out for swapping ends when you go hard in the wet. No more under steer. ever.

Note however, you've got do these other to front/rear lsds otherwise it won't work properly or safely. As you would also imagine it's well worth upgrading all your other suspension parts too.

Final word - without a doubt these are the best handling mods you can do a bar a DCCD, which even then you'll probably prefer to drive it in a 35/65 set-up.

Cheers
Old 25-04-2010, 12:48 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

97RA at standard level

There really should be a poll choice for a CIG locker and no front shafts
Old 25-04-2010, 04:58 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Tom at standard level

Hi Maddog

In my ranting enthusiasm, I probably didn't clearly state that I too am using a Cusco Tarmac Gear. They're simply the best.

Cheers

Tags
centre, diff, nondccd, performing