Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   Bunny hopping (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/38090-bunny-hopping.html)

Discobay 27-10-2010 09:44 PM

Bunny hopping

Maybe it's because I haven't owned a manual for some years but I find the WRX bunny hops at low speeds in low gears. I find that I need to change up quickly to stop the car from appearing to bounce with whatever I'm playing on the stereo. Changing up through the gears during normal driving is also not as smooth as I am used to as if the timing is out. I almost have to apply the accelerator early, that is before engaging the clutch, to ensure a smooth non-jerky gear change. Is this me or the car?

American Dave 27-10-2010 09:50 PM

ah me subaru drive by wire stock tune...get your car a good flash tune even before you mod it and eliminate that hesitation completely. PM if you want more info

[REXPLOIT] 27-10-2010 09:53 PM

You're too early for Friday Funnies.... : /

Noticed by sig block, its an MY10. As I was going to suggest does it have an uprated/aggro clutch, (slut-button, etc)? As these are a little more annoying to live with day to day. Not impossible, but need rev 'blips' on application to remain smooth.

Otherwise, I'd say, you're just out of practice.

Brent.
:)

Discobay 27-10-2010 09:53 PM

I've taken it back to get the ECU reset. Are you saying that Subaru's settings are incorrect?

tuna 27-10-2010 09:55 PM

normal

American Dave 27-10-2010 09:56 PM

Well lets just say the throttle response can be vastly improved and so can the air fuel ratio over the stock maps from Subaru. Tune will make the car vastly easier..fun to drive around town doing 0-60 kph traffic..clutch foot maybe a bit rusty too as suggested?

Discobay 27-10-2010 09:58 PM

Well maybe but one would think a few weeks would have been enough to get used to using my left foot again. I've had it six months now. I'll pm you for more.

Killer Python 27-10-2010 10:02 PM

adding accelerator before engaging the clutch is how u drive manuals? i do it everytime, but the wrx is very unforgiving with bad clutching, my car starts to jerk at low revs when slowing down in 1st or 2nd. Got to be as smooth as possible all the time.

Discobay 27-10-2010 10:05 PM

I'm so glad I don't need to drive into the city on a daily basis.

MY99 27-10-2010 10:43 PM

You have to match the revs on gear changes - as said above, the AWD box is not very forgiving. Watch the tacho next time you change gears and make sure that it's not having to jump up/down suddenly as you release the clutch. If it is, then you are not matching the engine speed to the gearbox speed correctly. This will more than likely be due to the fact that you are not used to (or haven't taken into account) the lag in the DBW system.

It lags somewhat (test it by having the car at idle and stabbing the throttle lightly and observing how NOTHING happens - the system thinks about and says no deal). So yes, you do have to apply the throttle slightly earlier than on a non-DBW system.