Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-03-2006, 09:49 AM
Sir AntiLag

Darren at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Darren

Chris, my exedy clutch did NOT cost me $1500-$1800 installed. Closer to $1000-1100. Bare in mind though that I did not have to have a flywheel machined (I had a new one installed at the same time).

The problem I had with my first clutch (the rebuilt one) was that it never had any decent grip. When I went back to the supplier and fitter, he said that because I mentioned motorsport, there is no warranty. Found out when I went to install the new one that the clutch plate material was not installed square and only the inside edge of the friction plate was touching the flywheel. I think I have pics somewhere.

Darren
Old 16-03-2006, 09:57 AM
Sir AntiLag

Darren at standard level

As you can see, only the inside of the material had any wear, the outside is virtually untouched.

The joys of re-built clutches...

New hotness

Darren

Last edited by technik_wrx; 16-03-2006 at 10:00 AM.
Old 16-03-2006, 12:12 PM
STI Master

STi Tuned at standard level

Excedy hu.. tell me more.

Was that price installed?
That last pics the pressure plate yeah, that came with?
Full face, so pretty streetable?
Plenty of grip I guess?

The 'sprung centre' is the little springs around the middle that leaver the clutch off the fly right? Anyone have a pic of a brass button so I can get a visual on how they work.
Old 16-03-2006, 12:17 PM
STI Master

REXXX at standard level

6-puck brass button
Old 16-03-2006, 01:41 PM
STI Master

STi Tuned at standard level

Nice work, cheers.

So where's the brass button or isn't it something you can see?
Old 16-03-2006, 02:38 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

BALISTC knows their stuff

The material on the "paddles" of the clutch are the "brass buttons". Its made of brass, and you can get ceramic ones too.

The springs in the centre make it a "sprung hub", meaning that when you take off, they take up some of the slack.

Rotaries enjoy tearing those springs out, so most people with high powered rotaries run a solid centre clutch, which is a C*NT to drive.
Old 17-03-2006, 11:15 AM
Sir AntiLag

Darren at standard level

Sorry Chris, just read the questions you posted. I'm not 100% certain on the total cost of fitting the clutch (a mate fitted it for me) but the clutch kit was around $750 and yes it included the thrust bearing, the pressure plate and the clutch plate. The only thing you need to buy is the spidgot(spelling?) bearing ($3 part).

As for grip, well for my modest level of horsepower, it is more then enough. When it first went in, I thought it was a little weak but after a few beatings, it just got better and better. Word of warning, I was just about to call excedy after my first few hard uses of the clutch (after bedding in) because the clutch would just slip and smoke, but it recovers and just progressively gets better. Now I can launch pretty hard and have no slip at all.

Hope this helps,

Darren
Old 17-03-2006, 11:23 AM
Sir AntiLag

AC Schnitzer at standard level

I'm about to get a Daikin or exedy stock clutch from MMS and apparently they charge $385 for the clutch. The catch is that I have to return my stock one back to them.

Anyone been down that road before ? Bit fishy because everyone in here seems to be spending about $700++ for a clutch change.
Old 17-03-2006, 11:24 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

mingin at standard level

"Word of warning, I was just about to call excedy after my first few hard uses of the clutch (after bedding in) because the clutch would just slip and smoke, but it recovers and just progressively gets better. Now I can launch pretty hard and have no slip at all."

well, maybe i should try that. when i bought my car 2nd hand, it was fine, and about 22000km, it started slipping... had it rebuilt with better plate compound and upped pressure plate. hadn't ever hard launched it, then one day, little fun with my mate, a few revs and off she went, launched hard, but lots of smoke and that nasty nasty clutch smell.... i haven't dared launch it hard since... i don't feel like replacing it anytime soon.... lets see if i get another 20000km out of a rebuild. hahaha.
has anyone ever used a twin plate in a wrx/sti ??? any comments?
this is what i figured i would need to go to when it's time...
Old 17-03-2006, 12:01 PM
STI Master

Riggs at standard level

I Had a 6-puck ceramic clutch in mine. It would grab like all shit and never a hint of slipping with plenty of hard launches. However it was a real pig to drive because it had almost no slip, wich isn't the best thing for a AWD. took me a week to learn to drive with the bloody thing, I just kept stalling. there better in 2WD's cars because when they grab it will just break traction slightly then take off. Now I've got a cushion button ( About $800 - $900 fitted from memory). It isn't as tough but its much more driveable. A mate of mine has one like my old one in his Skyline GTR and he loves it but there AWD setup is very different to the Rex's.

Tags
clutch, judder