Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-03-2006, 02:48 PM
Pulserapid

Default Clutch judder

I've only had my WRX for 4 days and I'm absolutely loving it.
Only one thing, not too serious though.

Dunno if this topic has been covered before but has anyone else had a bit of a judder when the clutch is cold? I found this on a UK website:

3.5 Clutch judder

3.5.1 ... when cold

This is caused by the material used to with stand the abuse given to it by owners.....usually ok when warmed up. Can also be caused by problems (wear/dirt ?) with the special platinum spark plugs used in the Impreza. Replacing these at the 15,000/30,000 mile service can cure the problem (although sometimes only for a month or so!).

Another suggestion has been to treat your Impreza to several full bore standing starts (when warm of course), which apparently helps clean up the surfaces of clutch components.

I don't want to make the problem worse or fuck it up completely. ie, I don't really want to do any more leaping starts until I know it can handel it.
Old 14-03-2006, 03:37 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

sikem rex at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to sikem rex Send a message via MSN to sikem rex

any ideas what the previous owner had done to it?

other type of clutch etc?
Old 14-03-2006, 04:59 PM
Sign me up!
Nazi Sled Driver

DAN682 at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to DAN682 Send a message via MSN to DAN682 Send a message via Yahoo to DAN682

Mine did it occasionaly on cold days.

There is no problem with it, as for the full bore standing starts, thats just fuckn stupid.. Fun but stupid

It will wear off after a few km's.
Old 14-03-2006, 05:04 PM
Sir AntiLag

D1josh at standard level

my clutch has been on the way out for ages, i found it would jolt and shudder now and then, do a launch, fry the clutch a little and it smooths out, but its a quick way to send your clutch to clutch heaven
Old 14-03-2006, 05:11 PM
Sir AntiLag

Darren at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Darren

I have a feeling the shudder could be caused by the materal used on the clutch plate, I come to this conclusion because when I first purchased my car, it had a stock clutch and it shuddered when cold. I immediately changed to a rebuilt "performance" clutch (I was still new to the WRX world then) and within about 6 months, the shudder came back. I could start the car in second gear, ride the crap out of the clutch and it would fix it for a few weeks but that really isn't a viable long term fix. I then upgraded to an exedy sports organic clutch- completely new clutch plate, pressure plate and bearings. It's been over a year and the shudder has never been an issue, grabs extremely well and drives like a normal standard clutch.

Hope this helps,

Darren
Old 14-03-2006, 09:43 PM
Sign me up!
Why stop at two bar?

tuna is a gurutuna is a guru

yep, dont waste you time with rebuilds, they only fry up and shudder within a few months, fit a rebuilt clutch when you come to resale to joe public only.

Long live the WRC
Old 15-03-2006, 04:47 PM
Pulserapid

Thanks for the feedback. I don't think the previous owner did anything at all, I guess I should re-read the service history.

Will get an exedy sports clutch if it gets on my nerves too much. I've heard good things about them.

I want to fit an exhaust first though...but you kinda need/want them both. Ha! this break will be expensive.
Old 15-03-2006, 05:36 PM
STI Master

STi Tuned at standard level

I don't mind the rebuilt clutch I have, it's a Jim berry 6 puck from memory.

You have to be easy with it to get a smooth take off but, it's got a bit of give in it for nice launches. Had two & they've lasted me about 60,000k's tho I don't do all that many launches.
Old 16-03-2006, 09:12 AM
STI Master

STi Tuned at standard level

I say that.. then last night my clutch starts slipping. Can't even get it to spin the treads.

Rebuilt clutches... rubbish.

Don't want to hijack your thread Pulsar but can we talk about new clutches. Since a clutch is something that you'll always have to replace at some point. Does this logic apply?

Cheap clutch: 800ish (inc labour, existing plate)
Good clutch: 1500-2000

So if the crap clutch lasted nearly as long as the good clutch what are the advantages of paying the extra?
Old 16-03-2006, 09:42 AM
Pulserapid

Default yeah

I'll replace the whole shabam. Sounds like the general consensus is that a rebuilt clutch is not worth it.

The stock clutch seems to have lasted about 85,00km, probably get another 5k km easy. The quote fro the clutch on the 100k service was $1600, I guess thats for a replacement. Might be worth putting in more of a sports clutch (not that stock can't handle the jandal) if the roblem is to be avoided

Tags
clutch, judder