Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-08-2011, 10:29 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Bigboosst is unrated
Default Light scratch/Medium scratch removal-

So, went to bounce a party for a mate last night and had my WRX parked up in the driveway. At around, 11pm 4-5 car full of kids rocked up and decided they would try and gate crash the party. After entry was refused they cracked the shits and decided to try bottle and fight everyone.

During the chaos i didnt see anything hit my car, but this morning i've noticed ive got a series of scratches on my boot that looks like a bottle smashed on it and scratched all the paint really lightly around the area that was hit. It's a white wrx, so im just curious, what can i use to buff this out?

I have a machine buffer, but i have no idea what kind of compound i need.
Will any car polish work, or must it be colour matching? Would a rubbing compound work better?

Any suggestions, and where i could get it from would be really helpfull. Apart from that, anyone know a good detailer that could just do the exterior of the car?
Old 13-08-2011, 10:35 AM
STI Master

Riggs at standard level

PM ADZ.

If its possible, he is your man.
Old 13-08-2011, 10:48 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

ImPreSiV is a guruImPreSiV is a guru

Maguires ScratchX works pretty well normally, otherwise, as Riggs said, Adz from OCDetailing
Old 13-08-2011, 10:58 AM
Subaru Tech Division

apg39 at standard level

General rule of thumb is if you can feel it with the back of your fingernail then it's too deep to polish out. Scratch X may clean up the lighter marks but won't do too much else. Luckily the cars white so it won't stand out so best thing to do (without spending heaps) is to get a paint cleaner not a compound, get all the crap out of the scratch & hopefully it won't be as noticeable.

But....hard to say without physically seeing it or at least a picture.
Old 13-08-2011, 05:34 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Bigboosst is unrated

Okay, ill get a picture tommorow and see what you guys think. The information so far has been pretty handy as im pretty clueless on this matter =D

Someone mentioned to me toothpaste? As its a mild cutting compound and is tinted white, and will essentially remove/colour the scratches. Would that be possible, as to me.. sounds pretty retarded.
Old 13-08-2011, 05:44 PM
Subaru Tech Division

apg39 at standard level

First I've ever heard that. At least the car will smell minty fresh though.
Old 13-08-2011, 06:21 PM
STI Master

Adz at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigboosst View Post
i've noticed ive got a series of scratches on my boot that looks like a bottle smashed on it and scratched all the paint really lightly around the area that was hit. It's a white wrx, so im just curious, what can i use to buff this out?

I have a machine buffer, but i have no idea what kind of compound i need.
Will any car polish work, or must it be colour matching? Would a rubbing compound work better?

Any suggestions, and where i could get it from would be really helpfull. Apart from that, anyone know a good detailer that could just do the exterior of the car?
If you've not used a machine buffer before, i'd probably suggest not attempting it on your first go to try and remove some scratching. High chance you'll concentrate on the area too much and end up burning into the paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apg39 View Post
General rule of thumb is if you can feel it with the back of your fingernail then it's too deep to polish out. Scratch X may clean up the lighter marks but won't do too much else. Luckily the cars white so it won't stand out so best thing to do (without spending heaps) is to get a paint cleaner not a compound, get all the crap out of the scratch & hopefully it won't be as noticeable.

But....hard to say without physically seeing it or at least a picture.
Spot on!! I'd avoid using a cutting compound at this stage and use the cleaner as suggested. Scratch X is good a hiding the marks but you may find after a few washes they magically re-appear.

If you choose to go down the compound path - get something as fine as possible, don't be tempted to go for an aggressive compound. You would much rather remove it in 10x passes safely instead of being too aggresive and causing more damage in the first pass.

Depending on your location I'd be happy to come have a look between jobs but wouldn't be able to fit in a booking for a 3-4 weeks. Also Glenn from Wax'Em is also a forum sponsor and may be able to help you out.
Old 13-08-2011, 06:22 PM
STI Master

Adz at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigboosst View Post
Someone mentioned to me toothpaste? As its a mild cutting compound and is tinted white, and will essentially remove/colour the scratches. Would that be possible, as to me.. sounds pretty retarded.
That sounds mint!

Can already picture a clients face as I pull out a tube of Colgate.

Seriously, please don't try this :P
Old 13-08-2011, 07:45 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Bigboosst is unrated

Yeah, i wasn't planning too haha! I may try a paint cleaner, is that just a generic paint cleaner or is there something specific i should look for. Should that fail, ill try the scratch X and pray for the best. Scratches arent fingernail noticeable, so im assuming they will buff out =D

Tags
light, removal, scratch, scratch or medium