Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   MY05 STI or EVO 8 MR/9 (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/47828-my05-sti-evo-8-mr-9-a.html)

Zombee 07-03-2012 07:09 PM

MY05 STI or EVO 8 MR/9

I know this is a Rex forum, but I know that there are a few EVO owners on here too.

I'm looking at getting an MY05 STI or an EVO 8MR or an EVO 9. Can't decide.

From what I've read the EVO's have it over the MY05 STI, but on the other hand , personally, the EVO's sound like crap compared to the STI. They all have 6 speeds, Brembo's and I believe they have the DCCD's.

So which is the one to get? Are they that close that it doesn't matter?

I intend to do club/track days with it, but nothing competitive.

Cheers
Zombee :)

kid 07-03-2012 07:12 PM

Curious to know why you sold your 06 just to potentially get back in an 05?

Stronger engine?

As for the original question, if you aren't going to be participating in competitive motorsport, perhaps go for the one with cheaper running costs, which i assume would be the suby?

ewrxion87 07-03-2012 07:14 PM

best bet dude, knowing that they are pretty comparable and on par....drive both and you decide what you prefer as comfortableand like to drive. Evo will be easier to pull the head apart and modify if thats your plans for serious HP cams etc... generally just easier to work on. I have a wexxy and love it...but after driving my mates evo7 o_0 wowee's LOL, and if i was going to get one...id go the evo8 MR :)

goodluck mate

ps- im pretty sure all evo's are forged 2l and cast iron block - smash the psi into it :P

reconus 07-03-2012 07:23 PM

a different drive is always nice. personally the Evo feels like a narrow car compared to the subies.

if you want to stick to your comfort zone, go Sti. otherwise, 8mr

reconus 07-03-2012 07:24 PM

maybe add a poll to the thread

tommo 07-03-2012 08:20 PM

I love subaru's and probably wouldn't get an evo for that reason, however that is nothing against them and it would be nice to drive round in something that probably isn't so common on the street, so I think the evo has it in that department.

however I did have a standard lancer for a work car, and found the driving position terrible... the arm rest was to low on the door, and the top of the door was to high for your arm, was pretty annoying on long trips..

Zombee 07-03-2012 08:23 PM

[QUOTE=kid;658522]Curious to know why you sold your 06 just to potentially get back in an 05?

Stronger engine?
[/QUOTE]

Two reasons, I bought an HSV Grange after selling the 06 STi for a more family friendly car, but the fact that it was an auto shat me to tears, so I sold it. Second, yes the 2L is a stronger engine :D

[QUOTE=reconus;658534]maybe add a poll to the thread[/QUOTE]

Good idea, poll added.

bird 07-03-2012 08:28 PM

The 9's have a better turbo and mivec which has better potential for power of an 8 MR.

Also, they were ADM, so no worries with imports with sketchy history (im aware the 8mr were ADM also, but they were a lot rarer)

aC- 07-03-2012 08:29 PM

You should try to get behind the wheel on each one of them and feel for what really suits you the most. You may get quite a bias opinion from the majority on here.

Jeckle 07-03-2012 08:30 PM

Or why not add to the poll GC8 and TME 6.5 as its to be a track/fun hack.