Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-03-2013, 08:48 PM
Sir AntiLag

drewgong at standard level

ceramic based pads like the stock ones will squeak, work crap when cold but hold out well when hot. street pads will generally make less noise, work well straight away but fade after multiple heavy brakes. tried oem, bendix, and now remsa.. not really impressed with any yet
Old 21-03-2013, 10:13 PM
Subaru Tech Division

RJ999 at standard level

Mate you should hear my current ones scream...

Like what RichX was saying happened to his with the track pads...you can now hear me coming from like 500metres away...Its not a squeal, I'm literally having a continuous scream from the left side...

Apparently wrong compound used(cheapo pads in there is what we're assuming - what the dealer chucked on ) and rotors were not machined when put on.

I'll stay clear of the A1RMs just so I can rest my ears for a while, I think the HPXs will work wonders on both road and track as they do have a better heat rating than the bendix ultimates which are only rated for like 380-400 degs max as compared to the HPXs 550 degs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid View Post
On my second set of QFM A1RMs and DBA 4000s on the front.

They can be very loud but I think the choices are limited if you want a pad that gives good cold performance for a daily AND delivers track performance.
Old 21-03-2013, 10:29 PM
Subaru Tech Division

RJ999 at standard level

I think you should give the HPXs a shot next...going by the reviews, everyone is raving about them and they're also really cheap (e-bay)

I'll update once I have them on

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewgong View Post
ceramic based pads like the stock ones will squeak, work crap when cold but hold out well when hot. street pads will generally make less noise, work well straight away but fade after multiple heavy brakes. tried oem, bendix, and now remsa.. not really impressed with any yet
drewgong likes this.
Old 21-03-2013, 10:35 PM
Flat Four Father

ALEX. knows their stuff

In my unprofessional opinion, I really don't think the A1RMs are fundamentally squeaky in your case RJ. Like you've said, I would say the problem has come from the bedding in (read: mating) process of pad and rotor.

Whenever I've researched pads and come across forum talk from all over the world, things that crop up the most in regards to squeak is the bedding process.

Here's a link to some light reading I remembered was in my bookmarks. Remember, it's from the internet so don't take it as gospel as manufacturers and individual professionals will always have their own thoughts on brakes and their bedding in process
Rotors & Drums Australia + EBC Brakes, The Big Brakes Company | Technical

Last edited by ALEX.; 21-03-2013 at 10:37 PM.
Old 21-03-2013, 10:46 PM
Subaru Tech Division

RJ999 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX. View Post
In my unprofessional opinion, I really don't think the A1RMs are fundamentally squeaky in your case RJ. Like you've said, I would say the problem has come from the bedding in (read: mating) process of pad and rotor.
Thanks for the info, I'll have a read.
What you said is exactly what Maximum Motorsports said, it's all to do with the bedding in process and how you drive it for the first 100kms!

Next time I'll definitely give the A1RMs a shot, I'll be a bit more game.
Old 21-03-2013, 11:15 PM
Flat Four Father

mitchwnz knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to mitchwnz Send a message via Skype™ to mitchwnz

I went with Remsa pads. Like Alex suggested, it's all about how you bed them in.. I personally made mine catch fire after 2 laps at Collie lol. Must say I was a wee bit afraid when the pedal hit the firewall at 160 :/.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2
Old 22-03-2013, 09:21 AM
Sign me up!
bug love

munya at standard level
Send a message via MSN to munya Send a message via Skype™ to munya

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchwnz View Post
I went with Remsa pads. Like Alex suggested, it's all about how you bed them in.. I personally made mine catch fire after 2 laps at Collie lol. Must say I was a wee bit afraid when the pedal hit the firewall at 160 :/.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2
lol try harder say 140
Old 22-03-2013, 11:05 PM
Sign me up!
STI Master

phoenix at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ999 View Post
I think you should give the HPXs a shot next...going by the reviews, everyone is raving about them and they're also really cheap (e-bay)

I'll update once I have them on
Mate,

I used my HPXs on the track once when I couldnt be bothered putting the A1RMs in like I usually do. They were not that good on the track and faded fairly quickly once they got some heat in them. If you are going to go on the track with them just be aware of this. I wont use them again on the track its a waste of time really.
Old 26-03-2013, 04:58 PM
Subaru Tech Division

RJ999 at standard level

Ok will keep that in mind.

I'm probably only going to do one or two track days in the year, I'll see how these go. otherwise I'll swap for something else once they fade.

I'll update on how they go next week when I have them fitted
Old 26-04-2013, 09:13 AM
Subaru Tech Division

RJ999 at standard level

Ok here's a review of the pads.

HPXs - do not use on a track but ok for street use.
A1RMs great for both street and track.

Here's my experience of QFM...I ordered both front and rear HPXs, they rears fitted fine but the backing plate on the front brembos were too big and would not go in...After some back n forth emailing/calling got sent A1RMs for the fronts, same $hit...backing plate too big...had to grind them down to make them fit in the standard brembo.

Having said that, the A1RMs stop great once warmed up and not too bad when cold.
I just wish QFM woudl have some better quality control for what comes out of their factory, it was only too long by a few millimetres.
Next time I'll go with PMus, will probably save me the f#%$# around time.

Now I need to investigate a knock that I hear when I press on the brake pedal the first time, it's like when you reverse the car and as soon as you touch the pedal it makes a single knock, then stops and when you roll forwards it does it once too then no more. I'm wondering if the guys who changed the brakes din't leave something loose in the shoes or smtg of the sort... Anyone had this before? it stops fine..just that annoying single knock that's heard everytime I reverse.

Tags
brake, pads