Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-07-2013, 10:45 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

Possible, but is it commonly done ?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 15-07-2013, 10:52 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

django at standard level

Thanks for the info guys,basically I bought the car maybe 3 months ago,it had a slight hesitation at the start of every gearchange.Previous owner said the plugs were overdue to be changed,some new Iridiums were given to me when I bought the car.

Still had that hesitation,not too long after the hesitation got much worse and was bogging down in power, sometime's when accelerating along it randomly cuts out to where you think it will stall( for a sec or 2) then power comes back.

Bought a new genuine Air Flow Meter,this ran a LOT better for maybe 4 days then reverted back to its issues again?. I noticed it would only boost to 10 psi too,I went to ( Evolution R) today the guy there( not Mao) jiggled the wires etc at the Stock Boost Solenoid,then he drove it about,now was boosting to 14 psi?!.

Still hesitates ,runs a bit spluttery,its also bringing up no error codes when hooking up the OBD2 Scanner

Last edited by django; 15-07-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old 16-07-2013, 08:29 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

nauli knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by django View Post
Thanks for the info guys,basically I bought the car maybe 3 months ago,it had a slight hesitation at the start of every gearchange.Previous owner said the plugs were overdue to be changed,some new Iridiums were given to me when I bought the car.

Still had that hesitation,not too long after the hesitation got much worse and was bogging down in power, sometime's when accelerating along it randomly cuts out to where you think it will stall( for a sec or 2) then power comes back.

Bought a new genuine Air Flow Meter,this ran a LOT better for maybe 4 days then reverted back to its issues again?. I noticed it would only boost to 10 psi too,I went to ( Evolution R) today the guy there( not Mao) jiggled the wires etc at the Stock Boost Solenoid,then he drove it about,now was boosting to 14 psi?!.

Still hesitates ,runs a bit spluttery,its also bringing up no error codes when hooking up the OBD2 Scanner
It appears that it's not the EcuTek tune per se that's giving problems but some issue with an ancilliary item. There are only 2 places in WA that do EcuTek tuning...Maximum Motorsport (MMS) and Racetorque Engineering....both are extremely reputable workshops with many, many years experience with Subarus. Neil from MMS has outlined the indicative costs. I suggest you take it to one of those workshops and get a diagnosis....ie don't stuff around with maybes and what if's.
For the record I had EcuTek installed on both my previous STI's...the MY02 was the second to be done in WA and it gave good power with 100% reliability over 4 years (doing plenty of track days and sprints etc)....that car only popped after the second owner put in an aftermarket ECU (MoTeC I think). The next EcuTek car, an MY06 STI, ran perfectly for 4 years, again doing plenty of track work...it made excellent power...yes it did finally pop, but it wasn't due to the tune...it was rebuilt with forged internals and EcuTek was retained...I sold it about 12 months ago and it's still running strong.
tuna, TROLLEY and Jeckle like this.
Old 16-07-2013, 05:55 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

django at standard level

Heres my problem with ECUTEK, only 2 tuners in Perth for ECUTEK,other tuners closer to my location can not even diagnose problems with my car,now or later on when there is an issue!,cause they cant get access to ECU information.

The prices ECUTEK tuners are charging is outrageous!,I don't have deep pockets,I'm now looking for a stock 2001 WRX ecu and will be selling off my current ecu when I manage to find a stock one...
Old 16-07-2013, 06:07 PM
Sign me up!
Barge Master

pmh at standard level

Get a Motec
tuna, American Dave, V3 RA and 1 others like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to pmh For This Useful Post:
tuna (17-07-2013)
Old 16-07-2013, 06:28 PM
STI Master

matto20v at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by django View Post
Heres my problem with ECUTEK, only 2 tuners in Perth for ECUTEK,other tuners closer to my location can not even diagnose problems with my car,now or later on when there is an issue!,cause they cant get access to ECU information.

The prices ECUTEK tuners are charging is outrageous!,I don't have deep pockets,I'm now looking for a stock 2001 WRX ecu and will be selling off my current ecu when I manage to find a stock one...

And your problem will still exist as it appears on the face of it like the problem is mechanical and not the ECU at all.

I think someone already gave you advice to stop throwing money at it and then hoping it will fix it?

I get surprised when I hear someone mention about the distance to a workshop. Heh, did you buy your WRX just to drive to the local shops and back? Nah, of course not.

I can only speak highly of Maximum Motorsport. Top service, top attitude, it was a drive-in/drive-out experience.
TROLLEY likes this.
Old 16-07-2013, 06:36 PM
Sign me up!
bug love

munya at standard level
Send a message via MSN to munya Send a message via Skype™ to munya

I may have the said stock ecu but you will still need it retuned by the boys at Allstar and will probably cost you the same as the other workshop for the retune to your car
Old 16-07-2013, 06:39 PM
Flat Four Father

TROLLEY is a guruTROLLEY is a guru

How dare people charge large sums of money for the use of intellectual property!
Old 16-07-2013, 08:25 PM
Sign me up!
Handbrake!!

dtrally is a gurudtrally is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLEY View Post
How dare people charge large sums of money for the use of intellectual property!
....and 1/4 million $ worth of equipment.
TROLLEY, Soksta and Dan [GTI] like this.
Old 16-07-2013, 11:59 PM
Flat Four Father

Pimpreza at standard level

I've got a Possum Link plug & play out of an 01 tuned for front mount, 3" tbe, 550cc injectors and TD04, apparently has antilag enabled??? I never drove the car on it but apparently went ok?? Yours for $300 but you'll still need a tune but possibly closer to home and only a 15min swap, rip the guts out of your computer case and swap them over.

Then you can sell your Ecutec if the distance for a tune is too much to cover the costs but like said before, probably not your tune that's causing the problem.

Oh, 99% sure no AFM needed with the Possum either but it's an older style tune.
Yamaha Zooma 50cc rocket hopefully going with the Transit.

Tags
ecu