Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   Storage or sell? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/55636-storage-sell.html)

Zombee 21-08-2013 12:50 PM

Storage or sell?

Life is too short.

I've made the decision to spend some quality time with my wife and 2 little boys.

Sooooo... we've sold our house and are banking the money, I've requested indefinte leave from my work, which they have granted. We're moving out to the country somewhere and just chilling with my wife and spending time chasing my boys around the park...

But I'm not sure what to do with my STI. I'm either going to put it into storage or sell it. We don't need 2 cars on my sabbatical. If I put it into storage its a depreciating asset that I'm not using. Plus insurance, plus rego, plus storage costs. I'm leaning more towards selling it and getting something when I get back. But the other side of me says keep it. It'll be there to enjoy when I get back.

Should I sell it or store it? I don't owe any money on it.

My break will be 3-6 months.

BLUES 21-08-2013 12:56 PM

Sell.

teejay 21-08-2013 12:56 PM

3 months? Store.

thehowlfactor 21-08-2013 12:58 PM

I guess it depends on how attached you are to it. If its your pride and joy store it, if its just a car, sell it.

REXXXED 21-08-2013 12:58 PM

Assuming you don't require the cash from selling to make the break happen, I would probably keep it.

Got any mates with a spare garage spot? Get them to start it and take it for a 20 minute drive every week or 2.

You purchased it new lass than a year ago (from memory)?? It has already taken it's big hit of depreciation when you drove it off the lot. Shouldn't drop much more in the next 3 to 6 months.

If you sell it now and buy another exactly the same when you get back it will cost another $10-15K to buy a brand new one. Or you will pay basically the same amount for what you sell this one for another second hand one (and you don't know the history etc).

Kimba 21-08-2013 01:03 PM

Firstly, I think it's a very healthy decision to take a break from the daily grind and reconnect with your family. Hats off to you for making it happen.

As for the car, personally I would store it. I don't feel that 3-6 months is too long to maintain rego, insurance and storage of a vehicle that you have some form of attachment to. Selling the car may leave you with residual feelings of regret or uncertainty with regards to returning to the city. If this is not the case, then by all means sell the car and allow the act to reinforce a fresh start for you and your family.

Jeckle 21-08-2013 01:18 PM

There are some nice roads in the country, take it with you.

norwest_rumbler 21-08-2013 01:19 PM

[QUOTE=Kimba;767276]Firstly, I think it's a very healthy decision to take a break from the daily grind and reconnect with your family. Hats off to you for making it happen.

As for the car, personally I would store it. I don't feel that 3-6 months is too long to maintain rego, insurance and storage of a vehicle that you have some form of attachment to. Selling the car may leave you with residual feelings of regret or uncertainty with regards to returning to the city. If this is not the case, then by all means sell the car and allow the act to reinforce a fresh start for you and your family.[/QUOTE]

^ very well put - WHS.

mARC 21-08-2013 01:44 PM

How much is the market really going to dip in 6months? Bring it with you 'I know it's not one of your options', you may not need two cars but at the same time it'll be there when/if you want to go for a quick blat for some personal time.

Best way to test whether its still worth keeping?

In saying that you did sell the house :D

grape juice 21-08-2013 01:55 PM

I'd say keep it and store it. Can always change insurance to to fire and theft, cutting some costs, rego won't be much and if you have a mate you can save the costs of storage.

On the other hand you can leave it on my 5 acre property and ill make sure the oil seals don't dry out ;)