Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 10:48 AM
Subaru Tech Division

Tony knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektre View Post
this thread make me laugh... all this shit about launching and shit and you have maybe a handful of guys on this forum that actually drive their car that warrant this technique..

launching for street cred? street racing? you fucking serious? get off the grass and actually come and do some motorsport so you get it out of your system and dont kill/injure people cause you wanted to be a hero...

you will also cause less damage to your car, hence a cheaper car to get from A to B

Get of your throne bud. Im tryin to get a few tips on technique so when i roll up at WAW, no limits etc im not sitting their launching my car the wong way and causing unessasary damage. Yes i understand clutchs are consumables etc. It would also be nice to know what im doing before thise night so im not the laughing stock of your purple circle. Sorry for wanting to better my driving.
forde likes this.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:48 PM
STI Master

Spektre knows their stuff

You need to start hanging around a different crew if you get laughed at for learning. If you want to learn, sweet. Go and learn. Ask for help. I'll gladly come and help you with my limited knowledge.

Just fyi, I am not in, nor ever had a purple circle. I wanted to learn how to drive fast, steer and peddle so I spent the money to learn in the right environments...

using the Perth-WRX mobile app
#217 Street Cars WA
Full 04 STi drivetrain
08 JDM 207
Garrett 3076 xtr
Old 01-11-2013, 10:50 PM
Sign me up!
Handbrake!!

dtrally is a gurudtrally is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by STI LIB View Post
Hey guys, just wondering what the best launch technique would be in a liberty GTB that is tuned by STI? Would the standard STI clutch hold up to a few launches or should I be looking at upgrading when I get the verso done?
The Liberty GT and Liberty STi with 6 speed manual all have the smaller 5 speed size clutch for some unknown reason. They are notorious for stinking up when launched hard. They come good again when they cool but the 'gone off prawn smell' will last for days.

All 6 speed manual LGT and WRX STi have a valve on the clutch slave cylinder that limits the return rate of the fluid, so dump, sidestep do whatever you like, the clutch will only engage at a certain (slightly dampened) rate.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:09 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrally View Post
The Liberty GT and Liberty STi with 6 speed manual all have the smaller 5 speed size clutch for some unknown reason. They are notorious for stinking up when launched hard. They come good again when they cool but the 'gone off prawn smell' will last for days.

All 6 speed manual LGT and WRX STi have a valve on the clutch slave cylinder that limits the return rate of the fluid, so dump, sidestep do whatever you like, the clutch will only engage at a certain (slightly dampened) rate.
Oh now you know Copyright GTB Liberty Guinea Pig

So you go and get a Sti diameter clutch, bigger fly wheel and play with the big boys.

Is the valve adjustable Doug?
Old 01-11-2013, 11:57 PM
Subaru Tech Division

type25 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB Liberty View Post

Is the valve adjustable Doug?
fit a STI Spec C slave cylinder.
JDM_STYLE likes this.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:20 AM
Scoobie Noobie

STI LIB at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrally View Post

Yea found that out tonight after having a crack. Car hooked up well & took off but I had that dreaded clutch burning smell for a while afterward :/
Old 02-11-2013, 07:38 AM
Sign me up!
Scoobie Doobie

RoughStilin at standard level

If this has already been said, then disregard.

The clutch smell you speak of is a good thing in a sense. If you start loading up 6k and then side stepping, especially on a prepped track, the clutch is the weakest link & is designed to let slip, due to the remainder of the drivetrain being relatively weak, or prone to breaking.

Be careful if you do 6k launches now, if you want more off the line grip, you will need a better clutch, then you will start stripping gears or snapping shafts. If your car has a 6 speed & R180 gear, disregard the above, but you can still break them.

On a properly prepped track it is actually difficult to walk over the starting area, due to the chemicals used to aid in traction that they apply to the track surface. All these weak links of the car & chemicals on the ground can be a recipie for disaster, disappointment & sometimes tears,

Be careful

Simon.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:08 AM
Sign me up!
STI Master

Avalanche at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDrifter View Post
I thought you wanted a little bit of wheel spin so that the load is reduced ?

6k usually works fine in my old one and the new, only thing is consistently getting the release smooth enough to not bog down.

RJ my thoughts on lc is that it's just a rev limit so you can floor the happy pedal and only worry about the clutch.
Till you're motor goes bang right?
Old 02-11-2013, 08:17 AM
Sir AntiLag

VUSSUTE at standard level

I'm too scared of launching in my 5 speed version 6... Heard to many horror stories. The only time I ever tried resulted in lots of clutch smoke and a slipping clutch lol

Not fast enough dammit!
Old 02-11-2013, 10:55 AM
Scoobie Noobie

STI LIB at standard level

Does the liberty GTB have R180?

Tags
correct, launching, techniques