Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-07-2015, 11:31 AM
Sir AntiLag

dazdavies knows their stuff

I feel an audio quality (not doof doof) sound off coming on.

Mine isn't loud but it's mint and all the crossovers and slopes have been set to my liking.

I have an old school 6 channel Alpine amp but am only powering the front JL components (bridged) and a 12inch sub (admittedly I have one)in the boot. It's not there for volume its there for quality. My head unit is shit but overall the whole system sounds pretty good. I'll be swapping the head unit for a high end Alpine one as soon as ive stopped blowing my cash on this engine build.

So who's for a non SPL, quality sound off?
Old 24-07-2015, 11:49 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

shaunus at standard level

Won't look back with the Alpine units Daz. Just be careful when purchasing them as accessories for them can cost BS amounts of $$$ so try to get everything you want included in original purchase. I wanted GPS and the module was going to cost me $900 so I went without.

The hands free/BT Audio functions on my old one destroyed any other unit I have used since. But my current setup has Mira-cast which is pretty cool if you're a bit tech savy so no need for BT etc.

I hope there is a P-WRX sound off. Interested to see how epic this fusion stuff is
TROLLEY likes this.
Old 24-07-2015, 11:53 AM
Flat Four Father

TROLLEY is a guruTROLLEY is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewgong View Post
Having a dial to adjust the bass on the fly is a real bonus too. not having to press buttons and settings while driving was a real benefit.
Oh you mean like this Alpine gain control which is next to my left hand at all times while driving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewgong View Post
Just because you're good at arguing it doesn't make you right
What makes me right is my experience with audio and my learning over the years of choosing, (partially) installing, upgrading and changing gear and moving through various levels of quality. That said, Johnny No-Brains knows that Fusion = poo. It's fine for an 18 year old P-Plater who earns minimum wage and wants his first doof. Again, we don't know how much the OP wants to spend, so mentioning brands and particular products at this stage is silly. You will find that what I and about 3-4 other people have been doing is offering broad audio advice which is applicable to most levels of installation and equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazdavies View Post
So who's for a non SPL, quality sound off?
No way, I'm enjoying my internet beat-off too much
A WRX meet where a few of us audio enthusiasts could move around and audition each-other's stereos would be a good idea I guess?
Attached Thumbnails
subvol.jpg  
dazdavies likes this.
Old 24-07-2015, 12:18 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

shaunus at standard level

What is that tiny little head unit thing! Never seen that before!
Old 24-07-2015, 12:24 PM
Subaru Tech Division

astralex knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to astralex

When I was choosing my new setup it would have been good to have a stroll around looking at various setups and getting an idea how they play in a real world environment rather than on a shop floor that has no similarity to a car, so you might be onto something there Trollface, sorry, Trolley. Also, many units have dials and many amps have such inputs, so that's hardly a feature of just the Fusion option.

I say, blow the bank, buy the best, eat noodles for a month in your dynamat cladded sound box.
TROLLEY likes this.
Old 24-07-2015, 12:32 PM
Flat Four Father

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunus View Post
What is that tiny little head unit thing! Never seen that before!
Controller for my Alpine sound processor - Alpine Electronics of Australia

It enables me to control this on the fly, without having to plug in my laptop:

Allows full control of a myriad of crossover points, slopes, time alignment, choice of graphic or parametric EQ... heaps of other shit that I don't use like 5.1 surround sound, automatic sound adjustment to compensate for road noise with the use of a little microphone.
Attached Thumbnails
processor.jpg  

Last edited by TROLLEY; 24-07-2015 at 12:33 PM.
Old 24-07-2015, 01:08 PM
Sir AntiLag

dazdavies knows their stuff

I love the alpine stuff. The best unit I ever had was an old school 7998r I think it was. It had a copper chassis and DB slope settings to die for.

I've been looking at their latest stuff but the head unit I like is $2K so that fucker can wait until after ive finished the engine build on it.
TROLLEY likes this.
Old 24-07-2015, 01:57 PM
Flat Four Father

Alpine have always made really good, functional head units. Mine is sub $400 but it's just a single DIN unit and I basically only need a AI-Net cable (a proprietary Alpine signal cable) to connect to the processor and a USB slot. Everything else is taken care of by the processor now. As soon as you go double-DIN, you're looking at $1000-$2000 for something of any decent quality because the large screen and navigation takes up so much of the pricing. Pioneer head units are decent too. Eclipse back in the day used to make some fantastic high end head units but have since stopped unfortunately. Sony, Kenwood, JVC, etc... don't bother unless you're on the strictest of budgets and running Fusion speakers. Alpine and Pioneer have such a large range of pricing levels that you really don't even need to consider purchasing anything else.

Last edited by TROLLEY; 24-07-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old 24-07-2015, 05:45 PM
STI Master

Kremer930 at standard level
Default Speaker Setup Help

If you are on a budget the under seat units are ok but there is no competing with a larger sub. The best ones are what the U.S. Uses where they have an enclosure that matches into behind the wheel arch. Looks factory, has good volume and functions like a real bass box.

I have a cheap fusion tube which works quite ok as because it is self powered it is quite easy to pull out if I need the boot space.

Stock speakers are ok once you give them an amp, a good head unit and take out the low frequencies. I have a four channel Hertz amp. Sounds ok but won't win comps but that is not what I wanted.

Pick what you want to achieve or how much you want to spend and then the guys on here can guide you.

Last edited by Kremer930; 24-07-2015 at 05:47 PM.
Old 24-07-2015, 07:01 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RichX knows their stuff

Still love my PDX V9 amp, Alpline single DIN HU, Sub and 6.5 splits. Sounds great, works well. Tucked under passenger seat ftw.

$620 on ebay atm.

Tags
audio, setup, speaker