Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   Collateral Damage - What have you broken? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/64102-collateral-damage-what-have-you-broken.html)

VUSSUTE 13-02-2016 12:21 PM

Sorry i think you got me wrong. I didnt know 16k was for mods also, sounded like just the block build. I though 16k for a block build only was excessive.... and thought for 16k would of included a SCD block

[QUOTE=dazdavies;835546]Your point is what exactly? Don't jump to conclusions.

It wasn't a 500hp build so it didn't need a CDB for the power levels I was aiming for. I'd also much rather have a build using a 2.0L open deck block than I would a build using 2.5 semi closed deck block. Have you seen how thin the cylinder walls are on a stock EJ257?

It's one of those BS myths that seem to do the rounds that you need a CDB or SCDB for any kind of build. Its usually the same people that tell you that you need aftermarket cams for 350HP

Had mine not been sleeved i wouldn't have a 2.5 of any sort in my current build.

But to put your theory to rest, the $16K included new crank rods and pistons, Tomei headers, new Vf34, head porting and polishing, tuning dyno time, an ecutek licence, machining and labour. Comparing that to some of the receipts I've seen here for builds it was a bargain.

The 207 wasn't around back then so reusing the stock block halves with aims of around 350hp was not unreasonable. The costs of converting a CDB at the time just werent worth it for the power level I was aiming for.

It was also 16 years ago too and I knew fuck all about Subarus then. The whole mess led me to learn how to build them myself so in a way I'm glad it happened.

Next![/QUOTE]

dazdavies 13-02-2016 12:36 PM

This is what happens when you jump to conclusions ��

xr06t 13-02-2016 06:12 PM

your post does say
[QUOTE]spent roughly $16000 for a motosport company in the UK (TSL) to do a build for me[/QUOTE]
im sure most here would assume you meant engine build. no real need to thread shit

dazdavies 13-02-2016 07:12 PM

Thread shit? What like you've just done. Good one mate top class.

Bram 13-02-2016 07:35 PM

Less jibber jabber, more fucked EJs please.

munya 14-02-2016 08:20 AM

Went Dokdok at the October rally sprint...let's not mention how many 5/6speed boxes I have replaced so that counts hey

amtrapid 14-02-2016 11:37 AM

LOl ok so on the old girl so far ,
1 x 5speed 1st gear
6 rear cvs ( 1.5 way cusco and rwd with heavy jandal)
1x vf29 turbo.

Previous Subarus Mainly Rallying over east and NZ.( Look good drive Shit lol )

2x EJs one was oil pickup failure , other was using the Rh front of engine to stop the car while rallying .
5 x 5 speeds . 1x front diff fail ,2x 2nd gear , 1x 3 rd gear 1x snapped input shaft.
1x complete car while using the rhf of engine to stop and car flipping on embankment while rallying .

front wheel bearings a couple of times .
2x steering racks bent and several uprights and wheels and lower control arms .front and rear.

xr06t 14-02-2016 06:22 PM

[QUOTE=dazdavies;835569]Thread shit? What like you've just done. Good one mate top class.[/QUOTE]

and it continues....

Very lengthly list there Amtrapid!

I haven't actually managed to break anything subaru related before! I did somehow manage to break a 5th gear syncro which Ford assured me was my fault and wouldn't warrant on a BA xr6t. Unfortunately no pics. Also 2nd gear syncro on the same gbox, and some cv joints. Nothing too major, fingers crossed with the wrx :)

Jezza 14-02-2016 07:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Also not sure whose is whose... But here are a couple of pics of the broken 5 speeds in my family

[ATTACH]15801[/ATTACH][ATTACH]15802[/ATTACH]

V3 RA 14-02-2016 08:52 PM

Two 5 speeds in my 98 wrx
PPG straight cut 5 speed in the RA
Big end bearing in the RA

3 years on the new motor and 2 on the 6 speed with nothing to report, could almost call it a reliable 400hp daily (touch wood)