Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2016, 08:51 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

wrxpc at standard level
Default Forester - Manual or Automatic?

Hi there,

I'm looking to pick up a 2003 - 2008 Forester and I'm torn between two vehicles that are essentially the same, the only difference being one is auto and the other is manual.

It will mostly be a daily driver but I aim to start getting out with my photography gear on weekends and maybe going off road a little, so this is where the auto over manual question comes in. The manual has a high/low range lever and the auto does not. Does that matter off road? Are there any other advantages of one over the other?

Thanks,

Wrxpc

NB: Admins please move if I've posted this in the wrong spot, thanks.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:20 AM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level

I don't feel like the dual range is necessary in a soft off roader.

As far as transmission goes, what are you used to? What do you prefer?

If you get the manual, great idea to replace some of the shifter bushings etc to get it feeling tight again. Once they are 10-15 years old, they tend to wear out a bit.
Will need to check the clutch operation.

We had an auto 2000 Forester GT that needed it's box rebuilt/replaced around a similar age.

Great cars though, would certainly recommend. Be careful with those 2.5 engines though, they like to be looked after.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:15 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

wrxpc at standard level

Thanks Jezza.

In what way do the 2.5L engines need to be looked after? Not heard that before so definitely curious. Thanks for the tip on the shifter bushings.

I have always owned manuals up to this point but I'm not against autos. It's more about having something big enough to throw the kayak on the roof.

My off road excursions so far have been as far as the front verge outside my house, but I do understand I'm not going to be doing the Gibb River Road or anything like that with a Forester :-)

Cheers,

Wrxpc
Old 11-09-2016, 11:56 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Kaoself at standard level

Do you like spirited driving? I've owned both auto and manual, and whilst they are pretty comparable in a straight line, in cornering and having the right gear selected to exit is unfortunately where the auto lacks.

The 4EAT (and admittedly the 5EAT would be better in this regard) has a noticeable spot where 1st will be bouncing off the rev limiter but 2nd will be below peak boost (turbo dependent of course), so that at about 60kmh ish you simply may not have the correct gear ratio available (using the manumatic function) . I always noticed this when taking those small curves where you turn left at another road without actually entering the intersection proper. A small issue, admittedly, but the major gripe I had with the 4EAT. This was of course on a 2L WRX, so the torque band on a 2.5L forester will be wider. Plus this is relevant for the turbo FXT, so may not be relevant to an NA Foz. Which Forester model have you been looking at?

Hmm, differences. Clutch repairs on a manual are less than half the price of an auto rebuild. The 4EAT is pretty strong at normal ish power levels, and it's only after about 300NmATW that you may wish to get some supporting mods or take a little care as to how you drive it. But the same generally applies to any transmission.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:01 AM
Scoobie Noobie

subyroo at standard level

My preference purely City driving you can't go past an Auto, for offroading (hard or soft driving) towing etc. you can't go past the Manual.
In relation to towing, I have never towed a trailer with either type of gearbox in 5th gear, I have always stuck to 4th gear as my top gear, it's just too much of a strain on the gearbox IMO.

I too have been a manual driver for the last 40 odd years and it's only now that I only do city and small hwy trips that I have been converted to an Auto (2016 Honda CRV).
It wasn't until I got back into my old 2003 XS Forester at odd times (daughter owned it for for a few years too) that I felt I really missed the Manual.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:40 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

wrxpc at standard level

Thanks for the replies guys.

I ended up with the manual. The two I was looking at were almost exactly the same in years and kilometres but a much cleaner one came along (that was also a manual) for a few dollars more, so I went that way. Having fun getting used to driving it, and now looking at roof racks for the kayak and maybe a nudge bar ... there's always room for mods, right?

Cheers,

Wrxpc
Old 12-09-2016, 09:31 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Kaoself at standard level

Always. Glad you're enjoying it; post some pics!
Old 14-09-2016, 12:01 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Fozzy_Mat at standard level

Been offroading in my manual 2.5 for quite a few years now. It does really well and i can think of quite a few situations where having the low range has stopped me getting stuck or helped me through something i would have otherwise struggled with.

If you are off the beaten path remember to actually use your low range. While you might be able to clear an obstacle without it you will save wear on your clutch and drive train by not riding the clutch at low speeds.

Have fun, you will be surprised by how much a forester can do if you just pick your line right.

Tags
automatic, forester, manual