Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   General Subaru Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/)
-   -   Air induction System, yes or no ?. (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/general-subaru-discussion/6657-air-induction-system-yes-no.html)

DeanMarine 07-08-2006 07:28 PM

Air induction System, yes or no ?.

I have a question if anyone can help.
Recently taken delivery of a brand new and totally awesome WRX and of course I can't stop smiling/laughing every time I drive her !
I have no intention of making modifications except for one, I would like to stick in an air induction system, if only because I think more cold air is a good thing, might even get some extra power too !! BUT if I do this will the dealership try and claim that my warrenty is no longer valid ?
If anyone out there knows if I should or should not do this please let me know.

Cheers Dean.

Mister Two 07-08-2006 07:37 PM

Isnt there a list of allowed modifications you can grab from the dealer that wont affect the warranty?

Either that, or only perform modifications that you can return to stock easily when a warranty issue pops up

Hi_VoLtAgE 07-08-2006 07:41 PM

on an 06 cold air induction will do SFA and may void warenty.

DeanMarine 07-08-2006 07:48 PM

[QUOTE=Hi_VoLtAgE]on an 06 cold air induction will do SFA and may void warenty.[/QUOTE]
Okay guys, thanks for your feedback, my first service is in a month so I might just ask them what is and isn't permissible.

muggz 07-08-2006 07:51 PM

be careful though.. its pretty much in black and white from subaru, that they arent dumb when it comes to warranty claims made if something goes wrong due to a mod ... u better off being honest if something goes wrong , rather than cheat a warranty worth 50K of car ... if u are mechanically minded and wanna kiss the warranty away be prepared for consequences!! :rolleyes:

JMAX 07-08-2006 08:25 PM

Save your money. ECUtek it instead.

chee 07-08-2006 08:25 PM

warranty depends on whether the modification has played a part in damaging the part.
ie, if you have an exhaust and your diff goes, your warranty should be fine.

so if you were to blow a motor and your car had a cai, subaru would be given enough rope to void your warranty since its altering the system that they have sold you.

do more research before you put on a cai onto a my06. later model wrxs/sti's dont take too kindly to modifications to the original system due to the ecu's configuration.

Intra 07-08-2006 08:26 PM

You can easily plug into the car, check the long term fuel trims and pretty much say something dodge has been done to the intake or exhaust.. If a master mechanic really wanted to do it of course.

DeanMarine 07-08-2006 09:42 PM

Thanks for your time and knowledge everyone, I've pretty much decided I love her just as she is and won't risk the warrenty !! :-) although I'll still ask them if I can at least throw in a KnN air filter, has to be better than the paper one they use as standard !!

blackmy03 07-08-2006 10:40 PM

[url]http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6168&highlight=filter[/url]

wai 08-08-2006 12:08 AM

K&N Filter wont work. + will damage car.

BALISTC 08-08-2006 07:31 AM

Wai, why dont you get your facts right before you go posting things that arent true??

A K&N panel filter will NOT DAMAGE THE CAR.

A lot of people are running them with no problems. Where problems come in, is when they are over oiled. If you dont over oil the filter, no worries!!

K&N panel filters are great because you can clean and re-use them, you dont have to buy an OEM paper filter every scheduled air filter change. I dont know about power gains, but they would probably be minimal.

American Dave 08-08-2006 07:56 AM

I am no expert but I have read plenty on iwsti.com and nasioc.com on the subject of CAI for MY06 WRX/STI. My gut feeling is that it's a waste of $$. Best money spent would be flash of ecu like ecutec. If you want you can also look at getting rid of the snorkus (intake resonator) on the factory intake. Carefull with oiled filters as they can cause you problems with oil on MAF if you are not careful, notice I did not say "will cause you problems". Best mods in my mind is the exhaust to free the boxer beat, a bit of suspension work such as whiltelines sways, endlinks, lowering springs or if you have the $$ then coilovers. Once you have these things in place then the flash on ecu and you have a new and vastly improved ride over stock.

Intra 08-08-2006 08:21 AM

Right on Joe, Problems occur when people dont follow the instructions..

YOU DONT OIL THE THING UNTIL ITS DRIPPING!

The instructions tell you to use a "THIN" film of it.

POLARBEAR666 08-08-2006 08:42 AM

I can oil my K n N till its oozing .. makes sweet F A difference because my car is mafless tune via the LINK. so no AFM.

werticusness 08-08-2006 09:16 AM

i never really thought about the warranty before... gawd imagine having a STOCK wrx... how awful :-\

i guess its what your used to...

if i were you i would do suspension mods to the max at least, that cant break anything.

REXPRESS 08-08-2006 01:45 PM

[QUOTE=wai]K&N Filter wont work. + will damage car.[/QUOTE]

WTF bullsh*t

REXPRESS 08-08-2006 01:46 PM

[QUOTE=JMAX]Save your money. ECUtek it instead.[/QUOTE]

2nd that

LegacyGT 08-08-2006 01:49 PM

Tek it

BOMB3R 08-08-2006 01:50 PM

3rd that!
What is a warranty?

Huy 08-08-2006 04:15 PM

[QUOTE=American Dave]I am no expert but I have read plenty on iwsti.com and nasioc.com on the subject of CAI for MY06 WRX/STI. My gut feeling is that it's a waste of $$. Best money spent would be flash of ecu like ecutec. If you want you can also look at getting rid of the snorkus (intake resonator) on the factory intake. Carefull with oiled filters as they can cause you problems with oil on MAF if you are not careful, notice I did not say "will cause you problems". Best mods in my mind is the exhaust to free the boxer beat, a bit of suspension work such as whiltelines sways, endlinks, lowering springs or if you have the $$ then coilovers. Once you have these things in place then the flash on ecu and you have a new and vastly improved ride over stock.[/QUOTE]

Is it worth taking the stock resonator out? I've read a lot regarding people removing these for the suction noise, but i'm not sure if there're any other benefits?

I'd like the noise, but i can't be bothered paying a lot of money just to get the intake tuned on my Tek3.

Intra 08-08-2006 04:55 PM

If you want the noise..

just cut the boxy looking bit off and leave the rest in tact.

it wont be as loud, but you'll hear it.

WRP10 08-08-2006 04:57 PM

Huy, apparently it makes the turbo spool up noticable quicker but i dont see how undirected air is gonna be bette rthan directed air

American Dave 08-08-2006 05:15 PM

[QUOTE=Huy]Is it worth taking the stock resonator out? I've read a lot regarding people removing these for the suction noise, but i'm not sure if there're any other benefits?

I'd like the noise, but i can't be bothered paying a lot of money just to get the intake tuned on my Tek3.[/QUOTE]

have a look on nasioc.com and scoobymods for other peoples feedback on this one. You would not be tuning the intake by using ecutek. Read threads on this as well or go to ecutek website for info. :D

Huy 08-08-2006 06:46 PM

I see...I'll call Lane at RT tomorrow and see how much it is to re-tune my tek3 for an intake.

Intra 08-08-2006 08:29 PM

you really want an intake eh..

well i can most likely pre-empt his reply..

Either no.. or we'll charge you alot.

Changing the MAF scaling for an intake takes time... and lots of it.

Its not as simple as just plugging in a few set numbers.

If you are HEEEEEEEEEELL bent on an intake.. maybe look at an APS unit which has the 65 stamp on it so you know it will keep the same size inlet tract.

Huy 08-08-2006 08:39 PM

Hehe nah i'm not [i]that[/i] keen on the intake!

Lane already specified he did not want to tune the APS unit.

POLARBEAR666 08-08-2006 10:58 PM

[QUOTE=American Dave]have a look on nasioc.com and scoobymods for other peoples feedback on this one. You would not be tuning the intake by using ecutek. Read threads on this as well or go to ecutek website for info. :D[/QUOTE]

You never know!. Maybe RT has a special on ECUTEK tuned intakes this month.

POLARBEAR666 08-08-2006 11:00 PM

By the way why do u need the MAF at all with ECUTEK? cant it just run off MAP like LINK/Autronic/Motec do? or isnt it possible using the stock ecu.

wai 10-08-2006 07:31 PM

[QUOTE=BIG REX]WTF bullsh*t[/QUOTE]
it didnt even start up on mine u can try on yur to see it yurself

Intra 10-08-2006 09:02 PM

HHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH

Didn't start up.. thats funny.. you must have miffed something REAL bad.

You can still start a car without an airfilter in the box.

Andy 10-08-2006 09:09 PM

wai, you are on crack, im sure of it.

jEstEr? 10-08-2006 09:10 PM

car wouldnt start cause it had a k&n filter
sure you didnt replace it with a slab of concrete wai ?

Intra 10-08-2006 09:12 PM

Wai.. TAFE has some short courses for people new to engine maintenance and problem diagnosis.. might i suggest you attend?

Then maybe think about your 25psi boost proposal and a 2.5lt engine.

Not to mention all your other claims of what does and does not work?

mr_psi 10-08-2006 09:18 PM

faark give it a rest u bunch of women! u guys got a prob?

he prob just left his afm unconnected or somethin?

Intra 10-08-2006 09:43 PM

I do actually.

I feel sorry for his car and i'm potentially saving him heartache/money later on down the track and no i was not taking the piss with the last comment.

Nothing wrong with attending a short course to enlighten yourself.

jEstEr? 10-08-2006 09:50 PM

[QUOTE=Intra]I do actually.

I feel sorry for his car and i'm potentially saving him heartache/money later on down the track and no i was not taking the piss at his with the last comment.

Nothing wrong with attending a short course to enlighten yourself.[/QUOTE]

not to mention anyone else who happens to take Wai's word as gospel and pops their 60K car too

blackmy03 10-08-2006 10:19 PM

[QUOTE=wai]it didnt even start up on mine u can try on yur to see it yurself[/QUOTE]

have u disarm the brant ???

werticusness 10-08-2006 11:51 PM

I'm pretty sure ecutek uses the AFM or MAF if you want to call it that.

[QUOTE=POLARBEAR666]By the way why do u need the MAF at all with ECUTEK? cant it just run off MAP like LINK/Autronic/Motec do? or isnt it possible using the stock ecu.[/QUOTE]

Andy 11-08-2006 12:00 AM

[QUOTE=mr_psi]faark give it a rest u bunch of women! u guys got a prob?

he prob just left his afm unconnected or somethin?[/QUOTE]

actually the car can start without the afm connected, although its highly unrecconmended