Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By GTLeggy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17-02-2020, 10:55 AM
Scoobie Noobie

riverdanz at standard level
Default 1999 engine/loom into 1997 wrx.

HI guys/gals
Im a newbie on here wanting to get some advice regarding a 1997 wrx which has had a ej205 from a 99 model (aus delivered) dropped in along with the loom which came with it.It is actually a friends car and I am trying to assist him to get it running.The issue is that the facelifted 99 model appears to have an entirely different wiring loom.The engine loom incorporates the whole dash loom, and there are pretty much zero wiring connectors which mate up with those on the 97 model.
I either have to painstakingly rewire most of the underdash area, leaving the engine and ECU part of the loom as it is. I expect there will be plenty of hours and headaches going down this route. Could I use a my97 ecu and loom with the my99 ej205 engine? Alternately I thought of pulling everything out of a wrecked 99 model and fitting all the wiring, ignition switch, perhaps the whole steering column while im at it, instrument cluster and whatever other sundries there might be, all into the 97 chassis.
He isnt too fussed about the A/c system or ABS systems working.He just wants it to run.
It really seems like the easiest route would be to use a engine loom/ecu from the 97 models and just connect it all to the motor from the 99 model.We are not sure if the tune of the 97 ecu which runs the ej20G motor, will suit the ej205 motor, and if all the connectors from the 97 loom will mate to the sensors on the ej205.
Whatever insight anybody can offer is greatly appreciated.
cheers

Tags
1997, 1999, engine or loom, wrx