Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-08-2005, 05:57 PM
Scoobie Noobie

sinads1 at standard level
Default Buying Cars Interstate

I have bought 3 cars from over east

It is heaps cheaper shipping a car from Perth to East as Truck/Trains are backloading - coming to WA TNT is usually the cheapest costing just under $1k from Sydney - travels bt train most of the way.

You cannot put the car into your name in NSW unless you have a NSW drivers license or you go to the transfer office in person with 100 points worth of ID.

Driving it back can be a worry coz the minute it leaves the state that it is registered in and it is sold to another person it is no longer registered so if you prang it you are up the creek.

Feel free to ask me any questions

Cheers

Simon
Old 17-08-2005, 08:28 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

DooM at standard level

old man just about done that when we were over at the Gran Pri with a Charger and a New 545i BMW, thing with the BMW is Apparently the ship that delivers BM's to Aus apparently Ports in WA first , so he could have the car delivered to us, and all we done was had to change plates once it has arrived, ie he sends the vic plates and rego over, and we pay there stamp duty etc and get the car here, difference is that BMW dont have a monopoly over there unlike here with Auto Classic

r
LD
Old 18-08-2005, 10:01 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

mingin at standard level

i bought my sti from nsw, if you want to pay the stamp duty in NSW you need to have someone with a NSW address and license to go in and pay it.
so if you have family or trustworthy friends, it can be done.
otherwise, bring it over here, take it over the pits, pay license and stamp duty/transfer and all that shite, cry at the bill and get on with driving the car. thats what i did, but by shopping in the eastern states i got a car, paid for transport and stamp duty (in WA) and still got it for less than what ppl over here were asking. and it came with over $10k spent on it.
Old 18-08-2005, 06:14 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

aDe at standard level

is it true that if we left the car registered in eastern state car won't get yellow sticker here in Wa?
Old 19-08-2005, 11:02 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

e-rex-shon at standard level

All I can say is that I have been driving around for five months with Tassie plates on and haven't been questioned once by Police, but I think I have been lucky and don't drive like an idiot. The car was brought in Tassie and the registration was changed into my name there as well, so it's a bit different to your situation. When it came time to re-register it I requested the papers and sticker to be sent to my Perth address, paid the money and sent it off. If I do get stopped by the fuzz, I'll be saying either the car has just arrivied in perth, or it is going back to Tassie very shorly and therefore not worth changing over to W.A plates.

What I should really do is just bite the bullet and put it over the pits here. Get it over and done with. Save some hassle.
Old 19-08-2005, 12:20 PM
Sir AntiLag

Adrian at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to Adrian

hold up on buying the RB... http://carsguide.news.com.au/news/st...E21822,00.html
Old 19-08-2005, 10:26 PM
STI Master

westoz at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by aDe
is it true that if we left the car registered in eastern state car won't get yellow sticker here in Wa?
Nah dude, any licensed vehicle can be canaried in WA. Just that the enforcement of handing in plates on expiry of the work order can't be applied to out of state vehicle licence.
1990 Mk3 Supra turbo fully rebuilt 7M-GTE (Older son)
1991 Celica GT4 (Younger son)
Old 28-10-2009, 11:20 AM
Sir AntiLag

low rider at standard level

sorry for digging up an old thread, but i'm looking to buy a car over east and i was wondering i pay the stamp duty over there, and i bring it over here do i have to pay it again? or do i just pay for the plates
Old 28-10-2009, 11:30 AM
Sign me up!
The Converter

GX-REX at standard level

Car will need to be put over pits when it gets here. You can only transfer it into your name in NSW if you live there. Transferring to WA plates without going over pits can only happen if you have owned the car for a minimum of 12 months. If you cant transfer into your name in NSW then once car crosses WA border, rego is void.
Old 28-10-2009, 11:36 AM
Sir AntiLag

low rider at standard level

fair enough, if its transfered into a family friends name who lives in NSW can it still be brought here and then swapped over to my name?

Tags
buying, cars, nsw