Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2010, 04:21 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

FEI-STi_REX at standard level
Default Hey Everyone... From EVO VI to '06 STI

hey guys,

just thought i'd introduce myself as i'd love to learn a shitload more about my car than i actually do!

had an EVO VI a short while ago and sold that off due to unforseen circumstances, however... i picked myself up financially again and was fortunate enough to buy a pig STI...

i'll be honest though, i love my EVO's but i thought that i'd broaden my knowledge and experience with my cars so i thought an STI would be a good step.

any tips you have for me would be great, i'm not on the forums much but will get pictures up asap

it's white with no wing and the stock rims have been painted gunmetal (old owner replaced the boot and painted the rims) and the only mod i have is an MRT exhaust

looking to get sways/struts/coilovers in the near future but i'll see how i go... enjoying the car as it is at the moment...

any tips as to what mods to get next? as in tune and which ecu's you guys would recommend from verso/power fc/vi-pec? just want the car as an everyday that i can throw around the track too

thanks guys and pictures up soon!

andrew
Old 06-01-2010, 04:32 PM
The Modulator

American Dave is a guruAmerican Dave is a guru

welcome Andrew and enjoy the stay, search button is your fried, yada yada yada.

I'm a previous pig owner and my first question back to you is how far do you want to go with the mods and what do you plan to use it for track, daily driver, bit of both?

If mild mods and daily driver is your thing then just go straight to getting her verso tuned as your first and best bang for buck mod. Your i/c is good as is the stock airbox set up. I would spend money on whiteline\ or cusco f&r sways, good pads/rotors/brake fluid since its a used car.

With that set up and verson tune you should be pretty close to 190-200 kw atw and handle pretty well. Obviously if you want to track then rims and r comps are your next purchase.

There are some great examples of the pig here and plenty of info on mods and results...search and you will get rewarded.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:33 PM
Subaru Tech Division

smerm07 at standard level

welcome mate.

would go a verso tune, air filter and some suspension like you said. How do you find the car compared to the EVO VI?

Matt
Old 06-01-2010, 04:58 PM
Sign me up!
IMPREZA STi S204

JDM_STYLE at standard level

Welcome mate, I've always wanted a white dewinged piggy
with dark stock rims!

Can't wait to see some pics, hope to see you at a cruise
or event in the future and best of luck with modding the
car.

221.7KW-ATW 498.5NM MMS ROLLER DYNO & BUILT BY STi NINJAS, BUILD #318/600

EBISU SUBARU, SHIBUYA-KU TOKYO
Old 06-01-2010, 05:02 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

FEI-STi_REX at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dave View Post
welcome Andrew and enjoy the stay, search button is your fried, yada yada yada.

I'm a previous pig owner and my first question back to you is how far do you want to go with the mods and what do you plan to use it for track, daily driver, bit of both?

If mild mods and daily driver is your thing then just go straight to getting her verso tuned as your first and best bang for buck mod. Your i/c is good as is the stock airbox set up. I would spend money on whiteline\ or cusco f&r sways, good pads/rotors/brake fluid since its a used car.
hey Dave, thanks for the info...

i'm basically wanting to keep it as a nice daily with great cornering and braking ability... IF there is a track day and i've got a day off work i also want her to be capable of getting thrown around the track too in a reliable manner.

the mods i have in mind are new (aftermarket) slotted rotors and pads, full turbo-back exhaust and full coilover suspension, however... struts and springs may have to suffice for the time being and then a tune... with the verso (considering i'll be driving it as a daily too) should i upgrade my cooler and injectors, up the boost and tune it with a verso or will the verso and exhaust be good enough?

once i know that i'll know exactly which direction to hear... i've also got a few tuners to test out too as i used to use tenagah but now they won't be doing mechanical work as such... first stop will be ASG and i'll see how that goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smerm07 View Post
welcome mate.

would go a verso tune, air filter and some suspension like you said. How do you find the car compared to the EVO VI?

Matt
hey Matt...

one thing i can say with the difference is that the STI is EXTREMELY tame... the power delivery is very linear and before you know it you're doing $1.40c+ on private roads, however, with the EVO VI it just smashes you and the boost hits much harder... however my VI had all the bolt ons whereas my STI is pretty much stock so that can be expected

the best way to compare would be how the two cars were designed and manufactured... the EVO VI was really raw... would have to compare with the GC8 STi and my STI you would have to compare to the EVO IX so totally different time frames but the EVO was definitely a rougher drive and more "fun" for me... my girlfriend couldn't drive it though... the STI however is totally opposite and she can drive it everyday

the STI is driver friendly and quick for what it is... i can't wait to see how it drives once i get suspension, slotted discs and a tune though will be awesome!

i'm also thinking about getting a carbon boot and bonnet with a carbon front lip and rear diffuser... do you guys think that's going over the top with exterior modifications?

(i know it's personal but i love opinions)

cheers!

Last edited by FEI-STi_REX; 06-01-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:10 PM
Subaru Tech Division

saturation at standard level

I'd save the $$ on the carbon stuff and spend those on suspension or other bits.

Some good advice in this thread already so wont repeat
Old 06-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Subaru Tech Division

smerm07 at standard level

carbon is an idea. im not a big fan of carbon bonnet's/boots, but a lip and difffuser would look great. Once you get a tune + exhaust you should see an improvement. what was the power output of your EVO VI?
Old 06-01-2010, 05:14 PM
Sign me up!
IMPREZA STi S204

JDM_STYLE at standard level

Make sure you get a tune at the same time as fitting the TBE
and not fit the zorst then wait for a tune.

The 06/07's aren't as accepting as the ole GC8's when it comes
to a TBE without tune and you don't want to do any damage to
your engine, so best to talk to Sean at ASG and he will tell you
everything you need to know.

221.7KW-ATW 498.5NM MMS ROLLER DYNO & BUILT BY STi NINJAS, BUILD #318/600

EBISU SUBARU, SHIBUYA-KU TOKYO
Old 06-01-2010, 05:16 PM
The Modulator

American Dave is a guruAmerican Dave is a guru

you can never have too much carbon fibre imo
Old 06-01-2010, 05:20 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

ImPreSiV is a guruImPreSiV is a guru

Hey mate, welcome to Perth-WRX. Evo to STI, I haven't seen that many times before! Hopefully you get heaps of knowledge off the forums and enjoy your time in an STI.

Kym

Tags
06, evo, sti, vi