Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-08-2010, 10:04 PM
Scoobie Noobie

bag of bones at standard level
Question Best way to find the right WRX.

Hi Guys.

Extremely new member. Have been looking for a very specific WRX and thus far have been unable to find exactly what I'm looking for. Really just after any tricks and tips that i'm sure the good members of this site would have a wealth of knowledge on in finding it.

Basically, I'm after a 2005 WRX (but not the 2006+ shape) with no modifications, around or below 60K kms, in as close to as possible stock condition as possible. I am pretty specific and am willing to spend the money on the right car. I was hoping anyone would be able to tell me what to look for when test driving, what to look for when looking the car over & just anything in particular that is helpful in buying a new WRX.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old 17-08-2010, 05:57 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

Dr_Rock at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by bag of bones View Post
Hi Guys.

Extremely new member. Have been looking for a very specific WRX and thus far have been unable to find exactly what I'm looking for. Really just after any tricks and tips that i'm sure the good members of this site would have a wealth of knowledge on in finding it.

Basically, I'm after a 2005 WRX (but not the 2006+ shape) with no modifications, around or below 60K kms, in as close to as possible stock condition as possible. I am pretty specific and am willing to spend the money on the right car. I was hoping anyone would be able to tell me what to look for when test driving, what to look for when looking the car over & just anything in particular that is helpful in buying a new WRX.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
The most important thing is to get a feel for the person selling the car. A lot of people will revert their modified cars to stock to sell them.
If the very "original" car has slotted and drilled rotors it may have been more otherwise modified. Check every panel for alignment, particularly looking for stiff doors. Easy way to spot crash repair. Look for overspray under the car, another way to tell crash repair. Also, is the rego is the 1B?? 123 range? If it is 1C or 1D why is the rego newer than what a 2005 car should be? Unless it is through a dealer, most likely crash repaired and re-registered.
Saying all that, you should come and have a look at mine. Price is negotiable, car is in excellent condition, and most importantly, never dragged or thrashed!
Old 17-08-2010, 07:22 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_rock View Post
Also, is the rego is the 1B?? 123 range? If it is 1C or 1D why is the rego newer than what a 2005 car should be? Unless it is through a dealer, most likely crash repaired and re-registered.
Can also mean someone had private plates on it. I would not get too involved in the newer numberplate business.

I would not discount cars that have had quality mods/tuning done by professionals. These cars have probably been babied and looked after more than a stock WRX.

I would avoid any car that has a atmo blow off valve (pew pew) or homosexual neons.
Old 17-08-2010, 07:49 AM
Sir AntiLag

fsk at standard level
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
I would not discount cars that have had quality mods/tuning done by professionals. These cars have probably been babied and looked after more than a stock WRX.
+1 to this!

my advice is to organise a time when you can test drive it from stone cold to hot. My old 05 used to have a shudder through the diff from 1st to 2nd that was only audible when cold and i was told this was from alot of redline changes between first and second.

Seeing as your obviously after a top condition my05 thought id throw in my 2c from experience. Good luck with the hunt have you considered eastern states? i did added 2 grand to the purchase price but what i wanted was unfindable over here
Old 17-08-2010, 07:50 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

mARC at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
I would avoid any car that has a atmo blow off valve (pew pew) or homosexual neons.
True!

Also, factoring in the car is out in the sun, see how many shades of colour it is.

Just be aware that plastic components on a vehicle are always going to be darker then metal components if painted.

A blender isn't just something used for making milk shakes.
Old 17-08-2010, 12:30 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Dawn Patrol at standard level

When I was looking for my car, I wrote up a massive things to check and look at on a car.
It's pretty long, but it was a lot of simple stuff that I thought would help me find a car that has been reasonably well kept. It also helped because it slowed me down from being so excited.
I could type it up later if you like, there's nothing really technical on it, just little things.
Old 17-08-2010, 12:44 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Shodown at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_rock View Post
If the very "original" car has slotted and drilled rotors it may have been more otherwise modified.
BS. My stocktacular MY06 only mods are slotted front rotors and stereo.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsk View Post
+1 to this!

my advice is to organise a time when you can test drive it from stone cold to hot. My old 05 used to have a shudder through the diff from 1st to 2nd that was only audible when cold and i was told this was from alot of redline changes between first and second.
Definitely agree to this. The longer you can test drive it for the better (especially if the engine bay has been detailed! I bought mine from a friend who let me take the car over night. Needless to say, the wife and I racked up 250km's that night and signed the next day.

Be sure to test EVERYTHING so you know what you are in for. Recently bought a commowhore and later found out it had a blown speaker (obviously didnt crank it loud enough during test drive), indicator stalk with issues (when on high beam), and for some reason gets a CEL when running on gas occasionally.
Old 17-08-2010, 01:14 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

As long as it has an ongoing service history & it's stock it will be fine......

Just be aware of any strange noises/whines/ clunks & avoid ANY smoke.

listen for engine rattles on overun (down shift & lift off)

It should be smooth to drive & feel 'taught' in general.

RE: slotted/cross drilled discs: if it has them or not is irrelevent, they are usually cheaper but better than OEM disks.
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 17-08-2010, 01:20 PM
Scoobie Noobie

bag of bones at standard level

Awesome, thanks for all the help. fsk - that's the sort of stuff that I would have thought about later, but would have definitely overlooked in the excitement of a test drive and regretted. I will make sure to arrange a cold start test drive for sure now. Nice work.

Also fsk - I have been looking at cars over east recently, and just feel like it would still be a massive gamble, even with a comprehensive check (also, which is the best check to get done on a car before buying? RAC?) without being able to test drive and check all the little things as Shodown mentioned? Sometimes seeing a car, looking down the doors and guards can give you an strong indication if the car hasnt been as pampered as is necessary. How did you find doing it that way? did you go through a dealership or a private sale?

Dawn Patrol - that sounds like the exact thing I need to manage my way through. If you had time to type it up, or even just scan it, that would be so helpful and most appreciated. Cheers for that!

Dean
Old 17-08-2010, 01:43 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Shodown at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by bag of bones View Post
If you had time to type it up, or even just scan it, that would be so helpful and most appreciated. Cheers for that!

Dean
http://www.carsales.com.au/cj/inspection_checklist.pdf

Tags
2005, buying, find, tips, wrx