Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Introductions (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/introductions/)
-   -   Need Some Help With Car (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/introductions/39172-need-some-help-car.html)

rick 19-12-2010 11:16 PM

Need Some Help With Car

Hey Guys, Need a bit of help with with the car.

I own a 2010 WRX, have had a Ecutek, 3" turbo back exhaust and the cold air induction done all thanks to maximum motor sport, giving it a nice 288hp at the wheels.

But i have been told that the next step is to rebuild the bottom end of the motor. :(, don't exactly have 6k lying around to do this, so does anyone know where i can get cheap parts and labor to come up with the same result?

Also suggestions on a nice set of coil overs and sway bars

Thanks in advance

phizzle 19-12-2010 11:27 PM

The only real way you are going to get it cheaper is to do all the work yourself.

You can have it done cheaply, or you can have it done right!

catcha 19-12-2010 11:31 PM

rebuild bottom end ? are you chasing huge HP ?

astralex 19-12-2010 11:32 PM

Do you have a goal that you want to meet or have a real need to go to such an extent? As you've asked, I'd be looking at suspension and such before considering whether it's really worth it. And Phizzle, thank you for immortalising Jesters brilliant post for future generations to marvel at his Confucius like genius.

mARC 19-12-2010 11:43 PM

[QUOTE=phizzle;521319]The only real way you are going to get it cheaper is to do all the work yourself.

You can have it done cheaply, or you can have it done right![/QUOTE]

[B][U]WHS![/U][/B]

Upgrade turbo, change out the cams and undertake relevant head and valve train work? (should see you well under 6k dependent on brand choices in the turbo department).

Also as mentioned above what horsepower goal do you have?

rick 19-12-2010 11:45 PM

Well my goal is to get to 400hp, but i dont understand why they tell me the bottom end has to be re built when i have friends getting bigger turbos put on and not having theirs done?

I might just go for the coil overs first, Need suggestions, I have heard tein are meant to be prettty good, and anyone know where a good place to go and get them is

mARC 19-12-2010 11:54 PM

In my opinion mate if 6k for relevant horsepower increases are out of your range at this point in time 'with that goal in mind', I'd leave it for now as you'd have to invest in a better braking system, suspension mods etc to be able to cope with the dramatic power increases 'quality products wont be cheap in this department, especially calipers'.

PM Joe 'BALISTC', on site and have a chat to him about HSD's re: coilovers.

[QUOTE=rick;521324]Well my goal is to get to 400hp, but i dont understand why they tell me the bottom end has to be re builts[/QUOTE]

Was this said to you by the guys at MMS? If so, I'm pretty sure they would gladly explain to you 'till it makes sense', why they would suggest a route to undertake. They have extensive knowledge in this department and am sure they would rather you understand why they are suggesting this rather then you leave confused or unsure ;)

Rossco 20-12-2010 12:09 AM

[QUOTE=rick;521324]Well my goal is to get to 400hp, but i dont understand why they tell me the bottom end has to be re built when i have friends getting bigger turbos put on and not having theirs done?

[/QUOTE]

Hi & Welcome to Pwrx....

Seriously you are DREAMING to think a stock EJ255 bottom end will yield 400hp for more than 10 minutes.

To get a RELIABLE (<-*keyword*) longterm 400hp you will need:

1.Proper Forged pistons & rods
2. Longer duration/ higher lift cams
3. Much bigger turbo
4. Front mounted intercooler
5. Modified crank oiling
6. Bigger fuel pump
7. Bigger injectors
8. Tougher clutch
9. maybe sleeving & closed decking the block

Do you have a spare $15k+?

What power do your mates reckon they're making with their turbo swaps???

mARC 20-12-2010 12:21 AM

[QUOTE=Rossco;521327]Seriously you are DREAMING to think a stock EJ255 bottom end will yield 400hp for more than 10 minutes.[/QUOTE]

Hence why it has been recommended to him to invest approximately 6k in rebuilding the block?

Rossco 20-12-2010 12:24 AM

Retail would be more than that though I think Mark.