Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Introductions (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/introductions/)
-   -   Need Some Help With Car (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/introductions/39172-need-some-help-car.html)

rick 19-12-2010 11:16 PM

Need Some Help With Car

Hey Guys, Need a bit of help with with the car.

I own a 2010 WRX, have had a Ecutek, 3" turbo back exhaust and the cold air induction done all thanks to maximum motor sport, giving it a nice 288hp at the wheels.

But i have been told that the next step is to rebuild the bottom end of the motor. :(, don't exactly have 6k lying around to do this, so does anyone know where i can get cheap parts and labor to come up with the same result?

Also suggestions on a nice set of coil overs and sway bars

Thanks in advance

phizzle 19-12-2010 11:27 PM

The only real way you are going to get it cheaper is to do all the work yourself.

You can have it done cheaply, or you can have it done right!

catcha 19-12-2010 11:31 PM

rebuild bottom end ? are you chasing huge HP ?

astralex 19-12-2010 11:32 PM

Do you have a goal that you want to meet or have a real need to go to such an extent? As you've asked, I'd be looking at suspension and such before considering whether it's really worth it. And Phizzle, thank you for immortalising Jesters brilliant post for future generations to marvel at his Confucius like genius.

mARC 19-12-2010 11:43 PM

[QUOTE=phizzle;521319]The only real way you are going to get it cheaper is to do all the work yourself.

You can have it done cheaply, or you can have it done right![/QUOTE]

[B][U]WHS![/U][/B]

Upgrade turbo, change out the cams and undertake relevant head and valve train work? (should see you well under 6k dependent on brand choices in the turbo department).

Also as mentioned above what horsepower goal do you have?

rick 19-12-2010 11:45 PM

Well my goal is to get to 400hp, but i dont understand why they tell me the bottom end has to be re built when i have friends getting bigger turbos put on and not having theirs done?

I might just go for the coil overs first, Need suggestions, I have heard tein are meant to be prettty good, and anyone know where a good place to go and get them is

mARC 19-12-2010 11:54 PM

In my opinion mate if 6k for relevant horsepower increases are out of your range at this point in time 'with that goal in mind', I'd leave it for now as you'd have to invest in a better braking system, suspension mods etc to be able to cope with the dramatic power increases 'quality products wont be cheap in this department, especially calipers'.

PM Joe 'BALISTC', on site and have a chat to him about HSD's re: coilovers.

[QUOTE=rick;521324]Well my goal is to get to 400hp, but i dont understand why they tell me the bottom end has to be re builts[/QUOTE]

Was this said to you by the guys at MMS? If so, I'm pretty sure they would gladly explain to you 'till it makes sense', why they would suggest a route to undertake. They have extensive knowledge in this department and am sure they would rather you understand why they are suggesting this rather then you leave confused or unsure ;)

Rossco 20-12-2010 12:09 AM

[QUOTE=rick;521324]Well my goal is to get to 400hp, but i dont understand why they tell me the bottom end has to be re built when i have friends getting bigger turbos put on and not having theirs done?

[/QUOTE]

Hi & Welcome to Pwrx....

Seriously you are DREAMING to think a stock EJ255 bottom end will yield 400hp for more than 10 minutes.

To get a RELIABLE (<-*keyword*) longterm 400hp you will need:

1.Proper Forged pistons & rods
2. Longer duration/ higher lift cams
3. Much bigger turbo
4. Front mounted intercooler
5. Modified crank oiling
6. Bigger fuel pump
7. Bigger injectors
8. Tougher clutch
9. maybe sleeving & closed decking the block

Do you have a spare $15k+?

What power do your mates reckon they're making with their turbo swaps???

mARC 20-12-2010 12:21 AM

[QUOTE=Rossco;521327]Seriously you are DREAMING to think a stock EJ255 bottom end will yield 400hp for more than 10 minutes.[/QUOTE]

Hence why it has been recommended to him to invest approximately 6k in rebuilding the block?

Rossco 20-12-2010 12:24 AM

Retail would be more than that though I think Mark.

rick 20-12-2010 07:16 AM

Yeah I know the the bottom end will have to be done eventually, but would like to just push it that little further now and hopefully crack the 300hp at the wheels, I have a few friends that can take my motor out of my car at Subaru Wangara. Can someone give me ideas and list of all the parts required to re do the bottom end so I can get all the parts over the next months,

rick 20-12-2010 07:26 AM

I have a few mates with wrx and Sti

Wrx is my00, and is 300 hp at wheel,s he just had the turbo swapped at MMS
Sti my07 320hp

Not sure what else has been done
and maximum motor sport wont let me touch mine?

mattmy99 20-12-2010 09:03 AM

[QUOTE=rick;521346] Wrx is my00, and is 300 hp at wheels[/QUOTE]
2.0L possibly sti EJ207. Love to rev. "easier" to make [I]highish[/I] reliable horsepower.

[QUOTE=rick;521346]Not sure what else has been done
and maximum motor sport wont let me touch mine?[/QUOTE]

I dont think it's a matter of not letting you touch yours. If you gave them $5000, and said you want a new turbo, bigger TMIC, injectors, fuel pump and a retune (possibly stand-alone), I reckon they'd do it. However, these guys know their stuff, and have recommended strengthening the bottom end for your own good. The 2.5L wrx EJ255, when compared to the 02+ sti EJ207, is not a motor suited to 350hp daily.

Kato 20-12-2010 10:00 AM

It all depends on what you want.

If you want a bit more lag, but a dyno sheet that says 300+hp. Ask MMS what to do. I'm 99% sure a STi sized turbo upgrade will hit this.

If you go in asking for 400hp (heck anything 320hp+) the wrx motor will require work.

Remember that a WRX motor is not a STi motor.

BALISTC 20-12-2010 10:05 AM

He already has a VF52, which is the same as the STi turbo except for the 2 bolt outlet flange (designed to bolt straight onto the IC). Bottom end between STi and WRX are exactly the same, although the heads differ.

If I were you, I'd forget chasing 400HP at the wheels unless you're prepared to start spending huge money on upgrading your engine, ancilliaries and driveline, as well as your brakes, etc etc. Even with an STi as a base, it will still cost a fortune to do it.

I'd look at the rest of the mods you can do.. silicone intake, IC upgrade, headers, etc etc.. you'll make 300 and a packetload of torque, then you can concentrate on your suspension and some tyres, and learn how to drive the car fast. It'll be much more rewarding and less headaches!

Just remember, a 300HP at the wheel WRX is FAST.. don't go looking at what your mates do and don't have, especially if they are driving something thats not a Subaru, as the numbers always lie when it comes to Subaru's and dyno charts.

RUSSGT 20-12-2010 10:31 AM

200kw at the wheels here. I promise you that is enough for a great fun track and street car.

Not all about numbers mate. Go drive the damn thing!

rick 20-12-2010 10:49 AM

Yeah 215kw atw is good, but I just want to blow away every car that pulls up next to me, plus I want to start taking it to the track

monkeee 20-12-2010 10:58 AM

[QUOTE=BALISTC;521369]He already has a VF52, which is the same as the STi turbo except for the 2 bolt outlet flange (designed to bolt straight onto the IC). Bottom end between STi and WRX are exactly the same, although the heads differ.

If I were you, I'd forget chasing 400HP at the wheels unless you're prepared to start spending huge money on upgrading your engine, ancilliaries and driveline, as well as your brakes, etc etc. Even with an STi as a base, it will still cost a fortune to do it.

I'd look at the rest of the mods you can do.. silicone intake, IC upgrade, headers, etc etc.. you'll make 300 and a packetload of torque, then you can concentrate on your suspension and some tyres, and learn how to drive the car fast. It'll be much more rewarding and less headaches!

Just remember, [B]a 300HP at the wheel WRX is FAST[/B].. don't go looking at what your mates do and don't have, especially if they are driving something thats not a Subaru, as the numbers always lie when it comes to Subaru's and dyno charts.[/QUOTE]

Indeed. WRX's/STI's dont need monumental power to get them moving quickly, especially the 2.5L's...good low-down and nuts midrange torque (speaking in terms of a street car).

Upping the power anymore = lots of $$$ for the 255 (270-300HP is the limit before things start going boom).

Show your car some corners (at the track) and you'll come to love it even more....and then you'll get hooked on suspension and tyre mods :D

BALISTC 20-12-2010 11:09 AM

[QUOTE=rick;521383]Yeah 215kw atw is good, but I just want to blow away every car that pulls up next to me, plus I want to start taking it to the track[/QUOTE]

99.99% of cars will be slower to 100km/h than a 300HP atw WRX, especially with a decent launch!

RUSSGT 20-12-2010 11:15 AM

Damn street racers.

teejay 20-12-2010 11:23 AM

I just want a dyno reading bigger than my friends.

phizzle 20-12-2010 11:25 AM

[QUOTE=RUSSGT;521392]Damn school holidays.[/QUOTE]
Fixed :D

GTB Liberty 20-12-2010 11:27 AM

I just want a dyno where I can dial in a number to suit my ego or lack of :D

Rexxar 20-12-2010 11:27 AM

if you are chasing heaps of power you have chosen the wrong car.
Most of my mates push bigger number than mine (300hubs) yet i am still faster than them around the track recently Collie raceway.
300 is FAST enough imo you might want to work on better/more suspension/handling parts and more seat time.

BALISTC 20-12-2010 11:30 AM

Subaru's have NEVER, EVER been dyno queens.. which disappoints a lot of people. The drivetrain loss soaks up a lot of that power reading, yet the car is quicker on the tarmac than the figures indicate.

Same sort of deal with drag cars that run auto trans with big stalls.. that saps a lot of the power reading away, yet the cars are still blisteringly quick.

XT43 20-12-2010 11:39 AM

[QUOTE=rick;521383]Yeah 215kw atw is good, but I just want to blow away every car that pulls up next to me, plus I want to start taking it to the track[/QUOTE]

gay

trainwrex 20-12-2010 12:08 PM

line me up... :D

V3 RA 20-12-2010 12:55 PM

[QUOTE=XT43;521412]gay[/QUOTE]

+1

get out and drive the thing, you don't need a million hp to enjoy the car on the street and on the track. Ballistic's post is what you want to do, should get you too 300hp and should have a lot of torque and will be a bucket load of fun on the street/track.

BoxorBeast 20-12-2010 01:26 PM

288 atw..... with only a couple of mods! that's pretty dam good if you ask me. You already got more than what I used to have in my MY05 STi... which was only 270 with same mods as you and more.....

If I were you... I'd be dam happy with that 288 esp since its not even a STi

Can someone tell me how much MY10 wrxs are doing stock atw ?

johnvk7 20-12-2010 02:22 PM

a Subaru dealership (Wangara) will not remove an engine from a car still in new car warranty so you can pull it apart and fill it full of non-genuine parts. You are mistaken sir.
That would breach the Subaru dealer agreement.

mARC 20-12-2010 02:24 PM

[QUOTE=rick;521345]Can someone give me ideas and list of all the parts required to re do the bottom end so I can get all the parts over the next months,[/QUOTE]

Google and being willing to spend the time to research and discuss engine modifications is all you'll need.

Only outlay would possibly be an internet connection.

Master D 20-12-2010 02:37 PM

[QUOTE=johnvk7;521465]a Subaru dealership (Wangara) will not remove an engine from a car still in new car warranty so you can pull it apart and fill it full of non-genuine parts. You are mistaken sir.
That would breach the Subaru dealer agreement.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't mean one Saturday night. Him and mates can't pull the engine out....... Where it happens doesn't matter. If it happens to be at a dealer party on. Not like they aren't dodgey enough to start with.

RUSSGT 20-12-2010 02:50 PM

[QUOTE=Master D;521473]Doesn't mean one Saturday night. Him and mates can't pull the engine out....... Where it happens doesn't matter. If it happens to be at a dealer party on. Not like they aren't dodgey enough to start with.[/QUOTE]

haha last time i said that in jest he jumped down my though so just be careful!

johnvk7 20-12-2010 02:59 PM

[QUOTE=RUSSGT;521481]haha last time i said that in jest he jumped down my though so just be careful![/QUOTE]

LOL, I'll hold my tongue this time. But I seriously doubt the foreman or service manager will let it happen.

mARC 20-12-2010 03:03 PM

[QUOTE=johnvk7;521486]LOL, I'll hold my tongue this time. But I seriously doubt the foreman or service manager will let it happen.[/QUOTE]

>>Implying trades aren't full of weekend cashies :p

RUSSGT 20-12-2010 03:16 PM

[QUOTE=johnvk7;521486]LOL, I'll hold my tongue this time. [/QUOTE]

haha.:D

Tell your mate Ryan Darcy about it. He will draw pics and everything!

Ahh me Subaru Wangara. :D

I have heard of lots of mech's doing cashies at dealerships in their own time.

rick 20-12-2010 04:13 PM

Looks like handling is the next step, I recently put a new set of tyres on the wrx, Toyo R1R and when they heat up, they get real sticky, just to much body roll. Looks like coilovers is the way to go and then brakes.

Are the Sti brakes worth getting or should go with a aftermarket brembo kit or similar?

rick 20-12-2010 04:15 PM

[QUOTE=BoxorBeast;521444]288 atw..... with only a couple of mods! that's pretty dam good if you ask me. You already got more than what I used to have in my MY05 STi... which was only 270 with same mods as you and more.....

If I were you... I'd be dam happy with that 288 esp since its not even a STi

Can someone tell me how much MY10 wrxs are doing stock atw ?[/QUOTE]

Stock wrx my10 come out with 195kw at motor, and 140kw at wheels, according to maximum motor sport

Kato 20-12-2010 04:39 PM

So you have got a 75kW gain!?

BoxorBeast 20-12-2010 04:49 PM

75kw gain from an ECU + TBE + CAI is pretty Got Dayum good if you asked me.