Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-11-2011, 12:43 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

Blash at standard level
Default Newbie 98 WRX

Hi guys,
new to perth and new to subaru ownership, always had fast cars, from Gti's MR2 Turbo's, and Honda S2000's but heading back to where it all began for me, the Classic shape GC8 - in the uk we call them a Turbo 2000 over here a WRX, both of which I totally love.
Im a huge World rally championship fan and days gone by have seen the likes of legends Colin Mcrae and Richard Burns battling it out, sadly will never get to see that again but subaru on a whole has progressed and I believe the start was the classic shape impreza.

I have just bought my 98 - 99MY in WRC Mica Blue, its paintwork is tidy, and engine seems to have been well serviced and looked after.
it needs some tlc in the form of new tints, and a few cosmetics inside the car.

However it should with a little detailing come up a treat.
So far the mods on the car are the tints and the magnaflow exhaust system. I am hoping to mod the car slightly and put 03-05 MY STI Gold Alloys on, hopefully a bov thats something like the HKS SSQV as i had one on the MR2 and it made the driving experience a good one. Should you be able to recomend a decent bov it would be much appreciated, other than these small mods i will be re tinting the car, adding a few subtle gauges, and dress up bits and heading to a few meets.

keep an Eye out for me, at present i have 5 spoke rims in silver and the wrx looks pretty standard but you;ll definately hear me :-)

heres to meeting some like minded people that share my enthusiasm for the scooby world.

any advice is much appreciated.

on that note, i currently have one question, if selecting gears is hard when stationary what could this be, are there any common problems with the GC8's i dont think its the clutch because there is no slip when in a high gear coming onto boost, but at the traffic lights i have to be slightly forceful with the gears to put it into first, could this be the syncro? or something to do with the gearbox?

any help much appreciated

Kind regards

Blash - AKA the scooby newb
Old 24-11-2011, 06:51 AM
STI Master

TheDoctor at standard level

Welcome Blash. GC8 FTW the original rex and still the best looking.

I used to have an MR2 turbo also. Loved that car. You can see a couple of photos of it if you search my intro thread.

Welcome to the forum. If you're keen to meet people come down to Vastese bakery (Alma road, North Perth) on a Saturday morning.

Sounds like you've got worn synchros like most GC8s that age. Do a gearbox oil change and chuck in some Redline Lightweight Gearbox Oil. I've got the same issue with mine and will be doing this on my next oil change.
Old 24-11-2011, 06:52 AM
STI Master

TheDoctor at standard level

Also, pics of car or ban.
Old 24-11-2011, 08:48 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Welcome.

Rims you are chasing will be the 02-04 STi ones (05 onwards changed to a 5 x 114.3 PCD, GC8 has 5 x 100 PCD).

The best bov is a factory GD unit. If you have a MY99 (build from around September 98 onwards) you can easily fit a GD STi TMIC and the factory GD bov. This will provide the best performance and not attract police attention with a venting bov.

If you want noise, go for the SSQV.

Gearbox could be a few things. Would be best to show it to one of the workshops listed in the sticky. I personally use STechnic for all my servicing as they know their stuff.
Old 24-11-2011, 11:27 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

Blash at standard level

Sounds like you've got worn synchros like most GC8s that age. Do a gearbox oil change and chuck in some Redline Lightweight Gearbox Oil. I've got the same issue with mine and will be doing this on my next oil change.

Hi Guys, I will post some pictures at the weekend as It needs a good detail, I polished up the exhaust last night which took a good hour and a half - sad aren't I !

Many thanks for the heads up I will organise some Redline Lightweight Gearbox Oil tonight and do the change ASAP as its totally frustrating, I dont want to be rough with the gearbox so hopefully this will help.
I will pop over maybe next saturday morning for the meet as spending most of the day detailing the new motor on saturday.

Photo's soon

Thanks Kato for the info on the BOV, had an SSQV on my old MR2 and liked it but also do want to upgrade the intercooler. I'll be keeping a keen eye on the forums classifieds for some bargains

Thanks for the advice. :-)
Old 24-11-2011, 06:07 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Shez at standard level

Welcome on board.
Old 25-11-2011, 12:50 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

Blash at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shez View Post
Welcome on board.
Cheers hopefully see you all at a meet in the not too distant future