Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-03-2015, 06:43 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Jay14 at standard level
Talking Making the jump to first WRX

Hi guys,

I'm Jay, live in Balcatta and currently driving an FG XR6T which I love and is heaps of fun to drive however lately I've been getting a bit bored with it. It's amazingly fast and I considered doing some mods to it but I figured I wouldn't get much out of it doing mainly city k's and find it's hard to have fun with it (legally). It's auto too by the way.. and I regret not getting manual but wasn't available at the time of purchase without a wait.

Been toying with the idea of getting a WRX as I suspect that a smaller, lighter, better handling car would be heaps more fun driving around the city. Despite a lot of peoples opinions I really like the look of the new model so would definitely be going with a new MY15.

To STI or not to STI? Could certainly stretch the budget to accommodate an STI but I'm really liking what I've read so far about the FA 2.0... seen some amazing tuning results from MRT. Would I be better off going with the WRX considering the STI still has the old 2.5.. or is that still a nice package worth considering? The STI certainly has a few little things that well.. make it an STI and that little bit nicer.

My closest dealer would be Osborne Park, what are peoples dealings with them been like? Worth shopping around or am I likely to get a similar deal everywhere?

Cheers
Jay

Last edited by Jay14; 21-03-2015 at 09:47 AM.
Old 20-03-2015, 07:18 PM
STI Master

s20525xxx knows their stuff

The fa20 sti is in pre mass production testing stage, maybe hold ur horses and wait for that one?

using the Perth-WRX mobile app
SolarFilms likes this.

Update from new owner: 375whp at 1.4bar on 98, at Tokyo Motorsport
Old 20-03-2015, 07:22 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Jay14 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by s20525xxx View Post
The fa20 sti is in pre mass production testing stage, maybe hold ur horses and wait for that one?

Cheers for the heads up on that, any idea how far away we're looking, ball park? I'm certainly in no hurry for this purchase as as my current daily drive will keep me pretty happy until I find the car that I definitely want.
Old 20-03-2015, 07:26 PM
STI Master

s20525xxx knows their stuff

Could give dealer a visit?

Update from new owner: 375whp at 1.4bar on 98, at Tokyo Motorsport
Old 21-03-2015, 02:12 AM
STI Master

matto20v at standard level

You may find that going from an XR6 turbo to a WRX may disappoint, the XR6 turbos are fcking quick and have balls of torque, lets not bullshit about here.

Further, all cars, no matter how powerful, get boring after a while. Its why people get "the bug" and have the desire for more and more and more power.

Just another view point to consider.
Old 21-03-2015, 09:42 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Jay14 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by matto20v View Post
You may find that going from an XR6 turbo to a WRX may disappoint, the XR6 turbos are fcking quick and have balls of torque, lets not bullshit about here.

Further, all cars, no matter how powerful, get boring after a while. Its why people get "the bug" and have the desire for more and more and more power.

Just another view point to consider.
Definitely something I had considered and probably what I am most worried about. The XR6T is certainly quick, in a straight line, but cornering and handling is not it's specialty. I had a drive of a mates XR5 turbo recently (and I'm assuming that this wouldn't even really be up there with a WRX) and I was really surprised how much fun it was to drive. I am hoping that a test drive of a WRX would be enough to know what car is going to give me more 'fun' in the long term.
Old 21-03-2015, 11:09 AM
Sir AntiLag

Zombee at standard level

Although not owning a XR6T, I have owned several HSV V8's and, yes they are quick in a straight line like your T.
But for me, the Rex's are more fun for everyday driving. It's the handling and nimbleness that does it.
If you like traffic light sprints, keep the T, mod it and fall in love with it again.
If you like the twisties, and the WHOLE drive from A to B, get a Rex or Evo.
Also when it rains, the AWD wins hands down

As for dealers, I've tried to deal with SOP, but, in my opinion, they come across as arrogant and would not deal at all. Try City Subaru.

If the $$ are not an issue, definitely get an STI over a WRX and hold out for the new STI with the new donk. That's what I'm doing.
SPECRDAN likes this.
Old 21-03-2015, 11:40 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Jay14 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombee View Post
Although not owning a XR6T, I have owned several HSV V8's and, yes they are quick in a straight line like your T.
But for me, the Rex's are more fun for everyday driving. It's the handling and nimbleness that does it.
If you like traffic light sprints, keep the T, mod it and fall in love with it again.
If you like the twisties, and the WHOLE drive from A to B, get a Rex or Evo.
Also when it rains, the AWD wins hands down

As for dealers, I've tried to deal with SOP, but, in my opinion, they come across as arrogant and would not deal at all. Try City Subaru.

If the $$ are not an issue, definitely get an STI over a WRX and hold out for the new STI with the new donk. That's what I'm doing.
Cheers mate, pretty keen to hold out. I feel that if I got a WRX now I'd inevitably end up wanting the STI when it eventually comes out with a FA20. Just hope its not a long wait
Old 21-03-2015, 05:00 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

ThatLegend at standard level

What about the new focus rs? It's coming out in awd
Old 21-03-2015, 05:36 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Jay14 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatLegend View Post
What about the new focus rs? It's coming out in awd
I hadn't really considered that, but looks like it will be a sweet car. I'm not a huge fan of hatch's but if the interior is a lot nicer than the WRX then I could be swayed

Tags
jump, making, wrx