Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2017, 11:54 AM
Flat Four Father

TROLLEY is a guruTROLLEY is a guru

I know another reputable tuner who is of the opinion that a 3 port is not necessary. What you do is choose your tuner, then roll with whatever they are comfortable with doing. If your chosen tuner is confident he can produce results without a 3 port, all good. If another feels it is required so that he is comfortable with how the car is handling boost, then so be it. Just have a chat with them and go with your gut instinct. Ask some questions (even if they're stupid - they're used to them, haha). Just don't choose based on price alone is all we're saying. Many of us have been around here and Subarus long enough to see results from various workshops/tuners and patterns that form over the long term.
astralex, ZiN and Peejay like this.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:22 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Peejay at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick73 View Post
Tokyos also do open source tuning. Have a talk with Jamie.

My experience with $600 tuners is they charge you again when something needs another adjustment. Both Lane from Racetorque and Jamie from Tokyos never charged me when little things needed correcting or adjusting within the tune. Obviously if you change parts or want to up the boost then expexct to pay for dyno time accordingly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLEY View Post
I know another reputable tuner who is of the opinion that a 3 port is not necessary. What you do is choose your tuner, then roll with whatever they are comfortable with doing. If your chosen tuner is confident he can produce results without a 3 port, all good. If another feels it is required so that he is comfortable with how the car is handling boost, then so be it. Just have a chat with them and go with your gut instinct. Ask some questions (even if they're stupid - they're used to them, haha). Just don't choose based on price alone is all we're saying. Many of us have been around here and Subarus long enough to see results from various workshops/tuners and patterns that form over the long term.

thanks so will do a bit more ringing around today..
Tokyos was around my budget for a tune.. around a $1000 for open source
but if MMS or Racetorque was only little bit more I wouldn't hesitate but $700 more is just a bit too much (hence the ecutek??)...
if I was planning on doing on doing future mods it would be beneficial but I'm not..
Old 01-09-2017, 02:37 PM
Subaru Tech Division

nick73 is a gurunick73 is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peejay View Post
thanks so will do a bit more ringing around today..
Tokyos was around my budget for a tune.. around a $1000 for open source
but if MMS or Racetorque was only little bit more I wouldn't hesitate but $700 more is just a bit too much (hence the ecutek??)...
if I was planning on doing on doing future mods it would be beneficial but I'm not..
HahahA no future mods!!!!! Fucking banstick you from this forum for talking that shite bro!!
mitchwnz likes this.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:48 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Peejay at standard level

Quote:
HahahA no future mods!!!!! Fucking banstick you from this forum for talking that shite bro!!
Wow really dude!!!
Old 01-09-2017, 08:59 PM
STI Master

matto20v at standard level

That got weird quickly...
nick73 likes this.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:12 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Peejay at standard level

Yeah lol..
I did say from the start that I wanted to get a tune to disable a cell code and tbe and a cai (which I can get next to nothing off a mate) and it is my daily driver... but hey what ever floats your boat..
Old 02-09-2017, 07:46 AM
Flat Four Father

mitchwnz knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to mitchwnz Send a message via Skype™ to mitchwnz

Quote:
Yeah lol..
I did say from the start that I wanted to get a tune to disable a cell code and tbe and a cai (which I can get next to nothing off a mate) and it is my daily driver... but hey what ever floats your boat..
I hope you realise he was taking the piss . Internet is very serious business.

My 2 cents are that a tune is rather important. If your engine pops over $700.00 you'll be up for a lot more for a rebuild. Go on... ask me how I know *coughringlandcough*. I'm of the opinion that any modifications you do should we well thought out and never done on the cheap.. It's like shopping at Big-W for your shoes then complaining they gave you blisters and look like shit.
Peejay likes this.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:09 AM
Subaru Tech Division

nick73 is a gurunick73 is a guru

Quote:
Yeah lol..
My boat floated away a long time ago.

Don't tune beyond 17psi if it is your daily and you want it to last.

Post it up when you get it done.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:03 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Peejay at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchwnz View Post
Norm Butler did both my exhausts, I had an 08 WRX Hatch and an 11 STI Hatch.. amazing quality and sound, but you pay a premium for his work (I'd rather not mention the exact price on here sorry).

The first tune was done by MMS, it was an Ecutek.. Pretty nice tune overall. The second was done by ASG.. Again a good tune, paid around $1200.00 at the time but I don't think ASG are tuning cars anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchwnz View Post
I hope you realise he was taking the piss . Internet is very serious business.

My 2 cents are that a tune is rather important. If your engine pops over $700.00 you'll be up for a lot more for a rebuild. Go on... ask me how I know *coughringlandcough*. I'm of the opinion that any modifications you do should we well thought out and never done on the cheap.. It's like shopping at Big-W for your shoes then complaining they gave you blisters and look like shit.
Yeah I know couldn't help myself...
But I have a really addictive personality and I would end up single and have a very fast or broken car...just trying to show some restraint...
I can understand about tune, and if I didn't know any better I would say you's were all salesmen..and I think I might bite the bullet and spend that extra$...

P.s (babe I've seen a bigger turbo and I can get it tuned cheaper cause I have an ecutek license) lol
Old 02-09-2017, 10:18 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Peejay at standard level

Quote:
My boat floated away a long time ago.

Don't tune beyond 17psi if it is your daily and you want it to last.

Post it up when you get it done.
I was planning on it, the missus got me on a budget!!! got to get to work somehow and start saving for a track car.. maybe in a few years when the kids are grown

I'll post up where I go and thoughts of the tune, but I'm sure most of guys will know once I say who I got it tuned from..

...As for the boat I think I saw it at freo...

Tags
noob