Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Motorsport > Local Motorsport
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-12-2009, 01:38 PM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

I sent megan an email yesterday asking how much they are going to care about the regs.

My main issues are as follows. It is bloody expensive. Three runs will cost you $145 per session and secondly mods.

I dont know where they are going to draw a line in the sand. i.e. if I rock up in a 33 gtr off its head but it has a cage does that mean its targa compliant or are they actually going to stick to the rules.

For those that dont know the difference between cams regs and aasa is massive. Basically cams you cant do anything however under aasa you can do the following.

Run 1" bigger (both width and diameter) rims.
3" exhaust
Internally turbos are free
You can remove metal from the standard heads.
As long as you have the original gearbox casing internals are free.

The problem for me is that you really need two engines. one for targa tas type events (aasa) and one for targa west (cams events). I would guestimate that the difference between the two cars would have to be well over 1 sec a kilometre which is massive.

I would like to enter but seeing as my car is currently set up for cams it will simply not be competitive.

Brendon
Old 24-12-2009, 11:15 PM
Sign me up!
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

trainwrex at standard level

I think its bullshit that they have all these stupid regs.. How am i go to be able to have a crack at any of these events just because i do things alot differently.. And before people say it evens the field having these restrictions, however if i rocked up in a gallardo and furfill all the requirements i would spank most peoples arses.. Same cost in the end but one is modified the other is stock..
Old 25-12-2009, 12:15 AM
Sign me up!
Handbrake!!

dtrally is a gurudtrally is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainwrex View Post
.....if i rocked up in a gallardo and furfill all the requirements i would spank most peoples arses.. Same cost in the end but one is modified the other is stock..
Targa regs divide cars into 3 (+1) classes based on how fast the standard car goes from 0-100km/h.
Some Lambo's and exotics go 0-100 in sub 3.5 and are therefore dissallowed.
Cars that go slightly slower are allowed in with zero performance mods. (like the R35)
Cars slower than that are allowed minimal mods. (wrx, Evo Lancer etc)
Slower cars like non turbo 4 cyl etc are allowed much more freedoms. (Honda Integra etc.)

Tino, you have to remember that the body that make the rules also insure the event. (some may say that's their only focus) So a car like yours, with you at the wheel is (how do we say politely) not such a good risk to them.
Old 25-12-2009, 01:12 AM
www.dilettante.net

EXPLICIT at standard level
Send a message via MSN to EXPLICIT

WHS - however there are plenty of events for you to compete/enter/trial where you'd be servicing your car more than adequately and going through your fair share of tyres. If you think building a race car costs money, wait till you have to maintain one regularly Mumma will not be please!!!
Old 25-12-2009, 04:36 PM
STI Master

CDR RA at standard level

Chatted to Megan about this yesterday and it seems while full targa spec cars will be given preference, other cars will be given the chance to run if all places arent filled. From her feedback yesterday, there are still places available, so it will be likely there will be non targa cars running.

First track sounds like start from the sprint circuit entry, do 3 laps and then pull onto one skid pan for a flying finish. The idea of getting the missus in the car to get a feel for the passenger seat is good, but I dont think 3 laps of the circuit will present any navigation challenge or be of long enogh duration to test if she can keep her breakfast down.

I guess you just pick your mark within the field and see how you go against them if you dont have a car capable of the outright win.

I wouldnt expect there is going to be any serious level of scrutineering of mods etc. Maybe they will break it into classes for full targa spec cars and then the others lumped together??
496 CI Injected Big Block. Carbon positive???
Old 25-12-2009, 11:58 PM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

I spoke to megan and she is adamant that we are going to be running under CAMS rules. Now I am very happy with that but I will be mightily pissed off I run under the regs and then someone rocks up with an evo / sti off its nuts and is still included in the overall results.

brendon
Old 26-12-2009, 02:43 PM
Sign me up!
Handbrake!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urabus View Post
I spoke to megan and she is adamant that we are going to be running under CAMS rules. Now I am very happy with that but I will be mightily pissed off I run under the regs and then someone rocks up with an evo / sti off its nuts and is still included in the overall results.

brendon

Get used to it. As long as they pay their money and no one protests it's still going to keep happening. Nobody's going to dismantle a car after an event like this. Even after being measured by scrutineers with excessive stroke you can get your result re-instated on appeal.......The end result of that slap in the face was one of the best scrutineers in WA turning his back on the sport.
Old 29-12-2009, 10:46 AM
Sign me up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrally View Post
Targa regs divide cars into 3 (+1) classes based on how fast the standard car goes from 0-100km/h.
Some Lambo's and exotics go 0-100 in sub 3.5 and are therefore dissallowed.
Cars that go slightly slower are allowed in with zero performance mods. (like the R35)
Cars slower than that are allowed minimal mods. (wrx, Evo Lancer etc)
Slower cars like non turbo 4 cyl etc are allowed much more freedoms. (Honda Integra etc.)

Tino, you have to remember that the body that make the rules also insure the event. (some may say that's their only focus) So a car like yours, with you at the wheel is (how do we say politely) not such a good risk to them.
Shud up dougy.. How am i susposed to learn without track experience, thats my only gripe. Yes i can do track days like no limits or AHG (which i will do to gain some competency) but i want to compete thats where alot of the fun is imo.. It would be good if they had a no-bars category which any car could compete in, as long as it met the saftey standards etc??

Jme, i know racing costs and i wouldnt be going into many events due to cost to maintain but also time factor due to work committments..
Old 29-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Sign me up!
Handbrake!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainwrex View Post
Shud up dougy.. How am i susposed to learn without track experience, thats my only gripe. ..
You learn in a suitable car. Not one with 600 horsepower, standard pads, shit tyres and no cage.
The best way to learn to get the most out of your driving is in an underpowered car, then step it up. (your Nazi phallic symbol is no good either)
Old 29-12-2009, 12:01 PM
Sign me up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrally View Post
You learn in a suitable car. Not one with 600 horsepower, standard pads, shit tyres and no cage.
The best way to learn to get the most out of your driving is in an underpowered car, then step it up. (your Nazi phallic symbol is no good either)

Car is very suitable.. just detune the fker... hahaha plus i have upgraded brakes, rotors and pads... yes shit tyres and no cage...

I might have to take your shitter out to learn on then

Tags
2010, attack, centre, driving, event, rac, targa, time