Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Motorsport > Local Motorsport
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-02-2011, 10:27 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Rally_Action at standard level
Default Twilight Khanacross & Rally Sprint

Ladies & Gents,

On Saturday the 19th of March, RADT is hosting a twilight Khanacross for the Light Car Club. A Khanacross is the next step up from Motorkhana and is run on loose surfaces. You can use a road car (with a 1kg fire extinguisher fitted), only need a CAMS L2NS license, and helmet/basic clothing requirements.

The next day (Sunday 20th March) a gravel rally sprint will be held at the same venue.
Draft regs are now online for both events: http://www.rallyaction.com.au/motorsport.html

Separate roads will be used for each event. Competitors are permitted to enter both events if they wish and camping is available at the venue.

For more info email: info@rallyaction.com.au

Thanks, Karl
[COLOR=navy]Rally Action Driver Training[/COLOR]
Old 02-07-2012, 10:18 AM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level

Spewing I missed this last year, any idea when a similar event might be run?

Looking to get into loose surface practice and events. Will most likely start with a full-day course with you guys then move into other events.

Are there any special requirements or recommendations for my car for participating in loose surface events as opposed to tarmac events?

Cheers,
Jeremy
Old 02-07-2012, 11:57 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

OK you have asked a few questions here so I'll try to answer them for you.
On that particular weekend in March last year we ran a Khanacross (KX) on Saturday and a Rally Sprint on Sunday. These are two very different events.

Khanacross:
KX is designed as a step up from Motorkhana and (in my opinion) one of the best forms of club level loose surface events.
KX's are run only on loose surfaces. As with a Motorkhana (MK) you need to start and stop in a garage (made of cones or markers). You need to follow the correct course route and similar time penalties apply to those of Motorkhana events.
KX is better than MK as KX tests can be up to 1.5km long, use open or forest areas and can have straights up to 100m long before a bend.
Depending on who is running the event and where it is being run, a normal road car can be suitable for KX. Apart from the car being mechanically sound, the only major requirement is for a 1kg Fire extinguisher (with metal bracket) to be securely fitted.
If the KX is being run under CAMS, competitors need the minimum of a L2NS CAMS license and a CAMS affiliated car club membership. KX's run under AASA need only an AASA competition license or CAMS L2NS or higher license.
Competitors also need a compliant helmet (in most cases a helmet in good condition and with an Australian standard label is suitable)
The KX's we run are usually for the Light Car Club, however members from other car clubs are welcome to compete. The costs are usually $35-$40 per event. We keep our tracks well graded and smooth and several competitors use road cars that are driven to and from events. Up to 3 drivers can compete in the same car at KX.
If you have tarmac (coil overs) or very low suspension fitted to your car, I would not recommend using on loose surfaces as there is not enough suspension travel and stiff springs and short dampers can cause suspension (and dental) damage.
Standard suspension & brakes are fine for KX as the competitive distances are short.

Rally Sprint:
Our Rally Sprints are not quite the same as the events run at the Motorplex.
Basically the rally sprints we run require CAMS rally licenses (Clubman or NRL) for both driver & navigator, correct apparel and a log booked rally car with cage, seats & harnesses that comply with CAMS rally regs.
The rally sprint stages are up to 10km long and run like a normal rally. On our stages it is possible to wind cars out to top speed. The last sprint we ran, we had enough stages for 40+km of competition.

To have a look at some of the events we run, go to our motorsport page: Rally Action Driver Training - www.rallyaction.com.au There is also a You tube video from a KX we ran earlier this year.

We have already run several KX's this year, however Rally Sprints we will assess toward the end of the Rally season.

For loose surface events, a set of used rally tyres is the best bet. Asking the right people, you can get used rally tyres cheap or even free. Be aware that the largest size rally tyres available are 15”. That means that if you have the 4 pot callipers on a WRX you need to find 15” wheels that will fit over the brakes. I don’t think the big Brembos fit under 15” wheels at all unless you have the (expensive) Group N brake package.
Early model 2 pot callipers fit under 15” wheels easily.
The other alternative to using 15” wheels and rally tyres is to use larger diameter mud & snow tyres that are available in 16” & 17”.

You can book in anytime for one of our courses. As A P-WRX member, we offer discounted prices so email us (info@rallyaction.com.au) rather than booking online.

Hope this info helps.

Karl
Old 02-07-2012, 06:00 PM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level

Thanks Karl, that helps alot!

Will be a bit of a mission swapping out coilovers so I may need to speak to wheels world and get some advice on my suspension setup.

The khanacross sounds like just what I'm hoping to get involved with to build my confidence etc before getting into the higher speed stuff. I'll keep a tab on your website to catch the next dates.

Cheers,
Jeremy
Old 02-07-2012, 06:51 PM
STI Master

baylee at standard level

As per Karl's comments, best bet is to hit up the kx's.
Too be honest we miss them. Cheap day out, LCC are very social, competitive but a good laugh had by all especially if you make a mistake.... Everyone is keen to see you learn.

IMHO Keep your wrx for the road and get a couple of mates to go 3's in a cheap but reliable front wheel drive car. Daihatsu, corolla seca, swift, excel etc etc. gumtree search vehicles less than a $1000
Drive it to & from events. Should something go wrong, there's enough bush mechanics about to give you a hand & it's pretty unlikely that someone wont have a trailer you can lend for going currency of beer..

However if your adamant on using your wrx, don't race anything a) you owe money on or b) your not prepared to through in the bin.. Ie, throwing your $10-$20k car into a tree, walking away and still have something to go to work on Monday in.

My 2c's...
Cheers
Ashley
Old 02-07-2012, 07:46 PM
Flat Four Father

ALEX. knows their stuff

I am keen on this – (and much as I'd like to do it in the WRX I think i'll be going the bunky option. At least for the first few goes!

If you're keen on a 3-way split car buy, Adam (Vitronis) will also be keen to go in on one.

There is also the Summer Autocross series at the plex to get some loose surface experience. First round of the '12/'13 series is penciled for November.

Having done the autocross at Kwinana, I can tell you that coil overs are not fun when there's any sort of bumps involved –*as I imagine there would be after half the runs are done.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:55 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

I'll check whent the next LCC KX is being run, I think it is in September at BORMSA rather than our venue.
I know the LCC is also planning a Tarmac Autokhana at RAC/DTEC in August.

I'll post the details soon.

Tags
khanacross, rally, sprint, twilight