Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > ECU Discussion > Loggers
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2011, 03:43 PM
Subaru Tech Division

sleepy at standard level
Send a message via MSN to sleepy
Default ODBII for iPhone

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/04/g...port-with-the/

Quote:
It's an OBD-II adapter that connects wirelessly to an iOS device or writes directly to SD card, storing information on information related to car mileage, even giving you a real-time efficiency readout on your display with the CleanDrive app. And, yes, it'll even pull warning codes and the like if things aren't quite running how they should.
Might be fun to play with.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:49 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RichX knows their stuff

Cool, will buy!
Old 05-01-2011, 03:51 PM
Scoobie Noobie

firebal08 at standard level

i was seriously just looking around for a good one of these.im getting an ipad for my birthday and im gonna see if i can find a good app to run and then mount it in the car. could be very interesting to see if it works and no i wont leave the pad in the car all the time, im not that stupid
Old 05-01-2011, 07:08 PM
STI Master

RXqME at standard level

lol this sounds interesting!
Old 05-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Subaru Tech Division

apg39 at standard level

Search eBay, plenty of wireless bluetooth OBD II units for less than half that price, just buy whatever program from iTunes or use the program that comes with it.

http://shop.ebay.com.au/i.html?_nkw=....c0.m270.l1313
Old 05-04-2011, 12:36 AM
STI Master

Slap Dash knows their stuff

Only thing i dislike bout the kiwi is the cable along with the OBD port connector. Was it too hard to ask for an all in one package..? Would be ideal if iOS future development implemented further bluetooth expansion to allow ODB device compatibility & software etc. Should really use my developer access and whine abit :-P
Old 10-04-2011, 06:03 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

HKS200 at standard level

hmmm, the thing about this system is yes its great to check CEL and stuff however the refresh is a bit slow and apparently the max available measurements are a little limited. Great new technology however classic gauges I believe still beats running wires and cables everywhere. for now anyway

after a STi V1 or V2 lip for bug eye, PM me for info thanks!
Old 08-06-2012, 12:55 PM
Sir AntiLag

STIMUL8IN at standard level
Send a message via Skype™ to STIMUL8IN

Bumping this one up.

It appears there has been a slight improvement since above comments with WiFi or Bluetooth connectivity to iPhone. I'm tossing up whether to go for this iPhone app with either this or this OBDII box.

Anyone else done this yet? I like the idea of getting oil temp, pressure, boost, coolant temp etc. up on the iPhone screen, rather than fiddle about putting gauges in.

Any comments from the experts? Is the scantool device better than the Kiwi one because it's dearer? Also is my OBDII connector easy to find?

Cheers, J
[CENTER]My other passion - facebook.com/[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=dimgray][B]JamieWebsterPhotography[/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
Old 09-06-2012, 08:25 PM
Scoobie Noobie

JahjaMan at standard level

Hi guys

Have a look at my posts and others on this thread Obd2 + Smart Phone - Rexnet Subaru Forums

Essentially:

1. Gauges include ECT, air intake temp, boost, MAF, throttle, manifold pressure.
2. You won't get oil temp or oil pressure
3. Pre 2008 subaru's only refresh a total of 10Hz (10 times a second). If you have on gauge showing, it's fast. If 2, it's half as slow (5Hz each) and 3 gauges + should only be used for monitoring and not instant feedback (3hz each is too slow for eg boost)
4. The other thread shows which Wifi module I bought. Same as kiwi except cheaper. Don't get the other one (the one without cable no good)
5. Bluetooth module only compatible with android. If you have iPhone, need to buy wifi
6. I use Rev, works well. dash command looks better and the graphs/numbers look more legible. I was put off because there were a lot of reviews of dash command saying it didn't work. That's why I'm with rev
7. The obdII port is located in the middle of your footwell, above the brake pedal. It's easy to find.
8. Remember to unplug the module as the non-kiwi version doesn't have an off switch and the obdII port powers the device, even if the engine is off.

Hope the above answers a few questions
Old 09-06-2012, 08:27 PM
Scoobie Noobie

JahjaMan at standard level

Jamieblade, your DP suggests you have a late model wrx. In that case, obdII would have refresh rates of above 60hz. As such, you can have multiple gauges showing and they will all be smooth as silk.

Tags
iphone, odbii