Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2010, 08:15 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru
Default EJ257 Spec B - DUAL AVCS

Dave,

Did you ever actually confirm whether the 2007 STi Liberty had dual AVCS and does that also include the Spec B?

Last edited by GTB Liberty; 09-11-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:24 PM

Mister Two at standard level

Yes, the Gen 4 Liberty GT (all models) have dual AVCS.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:09 PM
Scoobie Noobie

shaheenis at standard level

This is incorrect. Liberty's run a EJ255 and only have inlet AVCS (including TBS models). Impreza STI of same year has dual AVCS (inlet and exhaust) - EJ257.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:17 PM
Subaru Tech Division

thehowlfactor knows their stuff

Hey, its only been 3 years, but I am sure they are still curious.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaheenis View Post
This is incorrect. Liberty's run a EJ255 and only have inlet AVCS (including TBS models). Impreza STI of same year has dual AVCS (inlet and exhaust) - EJ257.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehowlfactor View Post
Hey, its only been 3 years, but I am sure they are still curious.
I am interested not surprisingly ... However could the opinion be referenced or is it just opinion?
Old 15-11-2013, 09:53 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Bite my squirrel.
Old 15-11-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Bite my squirrel.
Remind me to put that into the useless shit comments ... Oh wait ... Found its way there without me.

So it's opinion? Or fact?
davidsdh and DukeDrifter like this.
Old 15-11-2013, 10:09 PM
Scoobie Noobie

The information came from my tuner who tunes many EJ255 Liberty's. I own a MY07 GTB with EJ255 and my mate owns a MY08 STI imprezza with EJ257 both tuned by same tuner. The EJ257 comes with dual AVCS heads and can make more power, also due to lower compression pistons on this motor.

Also found another link which may be considered as an opinion but you know what it is like trying to find some info on the internet!! Also try logging your exhaust AVCS on your liberty and see what you find.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...html?p=3000609

I believe the pre MY07 2.0ltr engine is dual AVCS so this might be the confusion. Best to check with a forum that knows their Liberty motors: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/

http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopi...l+AVCS#p337584

Last edited by shaheenis; 15-11-2013 at 10:19 PM. Reason: More info to appease
Old 16-11-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
The information came from my tuner who tunes many EJ255 Liberty's. I own a MY07 GTB with EJ255 and my mate owns a MY08 STI imprezza with EJ257 both tuned by same tuner. The EJ257 comes with dual AVCS heads and can make more power, also due to lower compression pistons on this motor.

Also found another link which may be considered as an opinion but you know what it is like trying to find some info on the internet!! Also try logging your exhaust AVCS on your liberty and see what you find.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...html?p=3000609

I believe the pre MY07 2.0ltr engine is dual AVCS so this might be the confusion. Best to check with a forum that knows their Liberty motors: Index page • club.liberty.asn.au

Member Profile - Boostaddict • club.liberty.asn.au
Whilst I appreciate your effort my understanding is that the EJ257 has a HIGHER compression with a 22cc v EJ255 24cc volume.

EJ257 v EJ255 NASOIC Thread

However, there is differing opinions:

Perhaps it because there are various variants on the EJ255?

Another EJ255vEJ257 Thread NASOIC Thread

The primary source of confusion, and perhaps the source of your confusion, is the use of the term EJ255. There are several EJ255 based motors, and the do not all have the same shortblock. When Subaru released the EJ255 motor used in the 2005 Legacy, they indeed used the now classic AB440 shortblock, which is the same as used in the STI. In 2006 when the new WRX 2.5 platform was introduced, a new shortblock, the AB630 was introduced under the EJ255 banner.

Interestingly enough, Subaru did not change the shortblock used in the Legacy until the 2007 model year. This may in part be due to the Legacy chassis being assembled in Indiana while the Impreza was assembled in Japan.

Of course, this is American info and Australia is most likely different again. It also doesn't answer the Dual AVCS question.

I am also a Liberty ASN member. I was on that forum before P-WRX but in the end I am not rebuilding my motor so the question is sort of moot and I have given it enough time for a matter that is essentially irrelevant for my needs at this stage.

So we are at the point where there is a lot of opinion and not much fact.

EDIT - Seems the answer may lie here http://www.flatironstuning.com/p-211...255-ej257.aspx

Last edited by GTB Liberty; 16-11-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 16-11-2013, 11:10 AM
Scoobie Noobie

I can't see the 08 WRX STI EJ257 referenced above but that could be right, I just know the pistons are different but my understanding is that nothing else is different between these motors (including the heads) with the exception of Dual AVCS for the 08 WRX STI model. I also understand that there are no mechanical differences between GTB and STI liberties. You are right, it is very hard to find this info and would be hard to know exact differences despite what people think.

When I get my timing belt replaced in another 10K I should be able to confirm whether my motor has dual AVCS while the timing covers are off. AFAIK you can tell without removing the covers if you know what to look for. I know the AVCS gears have an oil solenoid which can be inspected on my motor quite easily for the inlet AVCS so I expect there would be similar access for the exhaust AVCS if they existed. I have logged by AVCS before (there is a thread on Liberty forums below) and it only logged for Intake Left and Right, I thought exhaust were independent and would show up as My information is largely based on what my tuner has explained as he can tune more power on the dual AVCS motors.

AVCS VVT angle out of sync diagnosis MY07 GT B • club.liberty.asn.au

AVCS VVT angle out of sync diagnosis MY07 GT B • club.liberty.asn.au
GTB Liberty likes this.

Last edited by shaheenis; 16-11-2013 at 11:13 AM.

Tags
arc, ihi, scroll, turbo, vf46