Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-09-2007, 07:26 PM
STI Master

maddog at standard level

We have a winner, looks just like mine Ran with half a tank last Sunday with no problems

Last edited by maddog; 26-09-2007 at 07:28 PM.
Old 27-09-2007, 07:45 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

nauli knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by urabus
I have heard conflicting stories about the MRT one and its effectiveness. You can tell me I am silly but I dont want to be excluded from some race because someone dobbed me in for having an illegal fuel set up. Chances are you would never get caught but I would just fell better knowing it was legal. Also (again very silly) but it keeps the car more standard. I feel less like I have bastardised anything and I know that it will all bolt up with no dramas.

Also if I buy the whole assembly at least then I can always use mine as a spare if the thing shits itself.

Brendon
Brendon, I don't think you would be pinged for an MRT one...
Just as some background, I have the MRT one (with Walbro pump) in the MY06 STi...I ran it at Collie last weekend and had no surge issues even UNDER 1/4 tank.
I originally had it fitted in the MY02...was one of the first ever done and we had to modify it a bit to get it working efficiently...we also tested it in parallel (after mods) in real time with a genuine STi one and they worked the same.
Interestingly though, when I changed it over to the MY06, Rob had to make a few more subtle modifications to make it work perfectly...just attention to detail on the fabrication setup...it works fine now (as above). MMS have fed all the data back to MRT who allegedly had modified them accordingly.
Also Steve Andrews used to have an original STi one in his V6 STi years ago and it worked well.

And the best test for fuel surge on a Subaru is the exit from Kolb at Barbagallo.
Old 27-09-2007, 08:04 AM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nauli
And the best test for fuel surge on a Subaru is the exit from Kolb at Barbagallo.
I reckon the worst corner for it at Wanneroo is the first one after the start finish straight. Maybe that is just where I had my issues and went easy for the rest of it.

I think I will get bent over and order the genuine one from Japan Parts. At least it is nearly 1/3 the price that MRT want for the same part.....Please explain!.
Old 27-09-2007, 11:12 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

nauli knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by urabus
I reckon the worst corner for it at Wanneroo is the first one after the start finish straight. Maybe that is just where I had my issues and went easy for the rest of it.

I think I will get bent over and order the genuine one from Japan Parts. At least it is nearly 1/3 the price that MRT want for the same part.....Please explain!.
Yeah, that's MRT for ya mate! I think their in house version is around the $350 - 400 mark?
Old 27-09-2007, 11:23 AM
Sir AntiLag

Bruce at standard level

I used to run my STI fuel surge assembly at half way between 1/2 and 1/4 empty at wanneroo before surge (only out of Kolb) and never had surge in autokhana or ahg track with fuel light on.

Pay the extra and get it done right the first time!

cheers,
Old 28-09-2007, 04:38 PM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

I am about to order it. Any other takers?

Edit: Ordered. Also managed to find the blanking plates that go where the stereo used to be. Even stamped with the subaru logo. now just the wait.

20kgs out of the car.....booyeah.

Brendon

Last edited by urabus; 28-09-2007 at 05:20 PM.
Old 29-09-2007, 06:48 AM
Sir AntiLag

foxey at standard level

Brendon

Have you got the part number for those blanking plates?

I need some myself.

Cheers
Brad
Old 25-03-2009, 10:03 AM
Sir AntiLag

Evilliot at standard level

Brendon
I have just made some of these in tank surge baffles out of Aluminium plate and a fuel resistant rubber skirt, very awkward to fit. Did you go for the spec C item?

KB Rallysport
Project 'Monte Carlo' , Pilot Elliot KB
Weekend Warrior - Renault Megan, Pilot Adrian KB
Old 25-03-2009, 01:16 PM
STI Master

DJDINO at standard level

I put one of these PW Surge Tank in my GC8 after bad surge at AHG, I ran it at Barbagello till needle was on E and had no probs, great kit and no cutting of hoses etc.
Old 25-03-2009, 02:13 PM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilliot
Brendon
I have just made some of these in tank surge baffles out of Aluminium plate and a fuel resistant rubber skirt, very awkward to fit. Did you go for the spec C item?
Any photos?

I went with the genuine one and I put the walbro in that and touch wood life has been good.

I have not run the thing down to fumes but certainly less than 1/4 tank and no problems. When compared with surge at wanneroo with 2/3 of a tank it is a big difference.

I had a look at the Process West one as Jamie lister has just fitted one to his car. Looks very good but I am a little sceptical as to the location i.e. in the back right hand corner if you got hit up the ass or spun and reversed into a wall / tree. You would have to be seriously unlucky but you never know.

Tags
fuel, pump, spec