Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-09-2007, 02:35 PM
Subaru Tech Division

WRXTASY at standard level

Tuna was correct, the AVCS sensors are not compatible with the crank sensor as you have found out. Sorry there. My bad. I should have pulled them instead of eye balling it

Its the crank/cam sensors that are the compatible ones. Not the AVCS ones at the back of the heads.

Last edited by WRXTASY; 28-09-2007 at 02:49 PM.
Old 30-09-2007, 02:00 AM
Subaru Tech Division

Having had a another think about this.

Rexy, try disconnecting both left and right AVCS solenoid electrical plugs and then going for a drive to see if your problem still appears. The AVCS Solenoids are to the front left and right on top of the heads (in front of intake manifold), same type of plugs as the AVCS cam sensors from memory.

Your AVCS system is likely to throw up a CEL (Check Engine Light) but don't worry as the Cams will just default to running on their grinds. There should be a loss of mid range torque though which will be noticable when driving.

Go for a test drive and see if the jerkiness during WOT disappears.
If it does then you have an AVCS solenoid - Oil pressure issue.
I would then reconnect the plugs and do an oil change to Mobill S 10w-40 Semi Syn and see what occurs.

However if the jerkiness is still there during Wide Open Throttle with the car loaded up in 4/5th gears you have a different problem. It will be dyno time with Engine logging to really see whats going on.

J

Last edited by WRXTASY; 30-09-2007 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:45 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

greenie at standard level
Send a message via MSN to greenie

Had same AVCS prob on my 03 STI after ECUTEC reflash and tune from Maximum Motorsport took it back to Steve from Maximum and he plugged in Delta Dash and we went for a run and it showed up no advance in the cam timing under hard throttle but all else was ok, so car suffered from loss of midrange.
He was able to fix this prob with the AVCS and has had this prob before with other STI's cost of fix was under $200 but he wouldnt shed any light on what the cause was.
Never suffered from jerky prob just down on power.
Hope this is of some help, if not maybe someone else may ring a bell.
Steve.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:20 PM
Sign me up!
BLUE TEAM

Rexy03 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXTASY
Try disconnecting both left and right AVCS solenoid electrical plugs and then going for a drive to see if your problem still appears. The AVCS Solenoids are to the front left and right on top of the heads (in front of intake manifold), same type of plugs as the AVCS cam sensors from memory.

Your AVCS system is likely to throw up a CEL (Check Engine Light) but don't worry as the Cams will just default to running on their grinds. There should be a loss of mid range torque though which will be noticable when driving.

Go for a test drive and see if the jerkiness during WOT disappears.
If it does then you have an AVCS solenoid - Oil pressure issue.
I would then reconnect the plugs and do an oil change to Mobill S 10w-40 Semi Syn and see what occurs.

However if the jerkiness is still there during Wide Open Throttle with the car loaded up in 4/5th gears you have a different problem. It will be dyno time with Engine logging to really see whats going on.

J
Ran this test and resulted in - check engine light - loss of mid to upper rev range power - much reduced jerky acceleration ............

Changing oil to Mobil synth s 10w/40 anyway and will get ECU reset...
Old 03-10-2007, 05:23 PM
Sign me up!
BLUE TEAM

Rexy03 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie
Had same AVCS prob on my 03 STI after ECUTEC reflash and tune from Maximum Motorsport took it back to Steve from Maximum and he plugged in Delta Dash and we went for a run and it showed up no advance in the cam timing under hard throttle but all else was ok, so car suffered from loss of midrange.
He was able to fix this prob with the AVCS and has had this prob before with other STI's cost of fix was under $200 but he wouldnt shed any light on what the cause was.
Never suffered from jerky prob just down on power.
Hope this is of some help, if not maybe someone else may ring a bell.
Steve.
Thanks Greenie....
There is a few reports of this problem in threads on Rexnet
apparently MRT has a fix for this one
But it is not what I am experencing.................
Old 03-10-2007, 05:28 PM
Sign me up!
BLUE TEAM

Rexy03 at standard level

Oil changed to Mobil synth s 10w/40 and ECU reset
engine runs quieter and a little smoother
this oil is definetly thicker to pour than the valvaline 5w/40 I prevously ran

result = no reduction in jerky acceleration at WOT ...........
Old 03-10-2007, 10:44 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Bit of a bugger of a problem, this one.
At least by disconnecting the AVCS solenoids you have identified part of the problem thats causing the jerkiness.

I would not discount the Oil change immediately either and give the AVCS solenoids a week to try and fully activate again and return to normal operation.

If after say 400-500km your still having problems its time to see Steve at Maximum Motorsports for some cam logging, and a possible mechanical fix.

Give it a week and report back. Patience grasshopper.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:58 PM
Sign me up!
BLUE TEAM

Rexy03 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXTASY
Bit of a bugger of a problem, this one.
Give it a week and report back. Patience grasshopper.
OK thanks WRXTASY and everyone else for your help.
Im running this by Subaru Australia but so far they are backing up the dealership in saying it is a characteristic of the vehicle.
Must come with age !
Old 04-10-2007, 07:44 PM
Subaru Tech Division

I would get some cam logging done and if they are found not to be working properly, save the data and then present it to Subaru Australia and demand they fix it free of cost.

They know about this problem through MRT and refuse to acknowledge it even exists. If enough owners make enough noise over the issue, Subaru Australia may fix it free of charge to affected owners.

$200 is a small cost for Subaru Oz, considering only a small number of owners are afffected.
I would be making a fuss if it eventually turns out to be the AVCS issue.

Good luck.
Old 17-10-2007, 09:32 AM
Sign me up!
BLUE TEAM

Rexy03 at standard level

Similar problems here :-

http://www.wrxfanatics.com/index.php?showtopic=15015

Tags
avcs, loss, midrange, power, problems