Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2007, 09:22 AM
Sir AntiLag

WRXTATIC at standard level
Default Mettams Exhaust Balcatta (warning)

Word of warning to anyone considering using Mettam's in BALCATTA....

Had the unfortunate luck to deal with them last week for a Diff back and I can tell you they provide shit products, at average prices.....

Having been quoted for stainless steel from diff back for $350 I ended up with 409 grade stainless (looks like a street post) and press bends. Which of course creased the pipe and LOOKS FRIGGIN AWEFUL.

Glen and the lads later explained I SHOULD HAVE BEEN VERY SPECIFIC what bends I wanted and grade of stainless.

So there you go...if you go to a company that only deals in exhausts and presume they know what they are doing YOU COULD END IN WITH SHIT SERVICE AND PRODUCT LIKE ME.

I WOULD AVOID THEM LIKE THE PLAGUE.... And if anyone knows Glen and the Balcatta crew tell them GET STUFFED MOFO from me.

Cheers, Paul.

Last edited by WRXTATIC; 03-12-2007 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:16 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Five8 at standard level

Pretty poor performance from the workshop. I wouldn't have paid for it until it was done right.

What were the details on the quote?

If it's not what they quoted you, then I would write a letter stating that you want it changed and that you will lodge a complaint with the Department of Consumer Protection if it's not done.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:27 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Sethor at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to Sethor Send a message via MSN to Sethor

They can not read your mind, you should have specified more clearly what you wanted. If you never said mandrel bends they would have just used whats most commonly used which is press bends and whats wrong with 409 grade? most stainless exhausts are made from this.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:37 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

I think the problem is (and I have this with certain companies all the time) is their business and specialty is exhausts, yours isn't. When you initially come in and say 'Oh hai, I'd like a diff back exhaust' they should be upfront with what materials and methods they are using.

i.e. You as the purchaser may not be aware of things like mandrel bends, polished steel etc. The company you are dealing with should at least offer or mention it at the beginning of the job. It would save them and their customers a lot of grief in the long term.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:59 PM
STI Master

Trexx at standard level
Send a message via Yahoo to Trexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato
I think the problem is (and I have this with certain companies all the time) is their business and specialty is exhausts, yours isn't. When you initially come in and say 'Oh hai, I'd like a diff back exhaust' they should be upfront with what materials and methods they are using.

i.e. You as the purchaser may not be aware of things like mandrel bends, polished steel etc. The company you are dealing with should at least offer or mention it at the beginning of the job. It would save them and their customers a lot of grief in the long term.

Agree
Old 03-12-2007, 01:09 PM
Powered by BP98

phizzle at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato

1) Accept work with quote
2) ???
3) Profit

You make a good point John, but it's a business. He saw the oppourtunity to make a few hundred by skimping on the materials and the poor guy got burned. I feel sorry for the guy, I really do, but this forum had all the info he needed BEFORE making any purchase

Use this lesson wisely mate. There's almost nothing you can do to a wrx that at least one person that uses this forum has done before. Use the search function and if you still have questions, most people will be more than happy to set you in the right direction (provided it's not the 567th thread on the subjuct, hence search first)
Old 03-12-2007, 01:14 PM
STI Master

Smokey at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by phizzle
He saw the oppourtunity to make a few hundred by skimping on the materials and the poor guy got burned.
If businesses are happy to do that, they should be happy to get the negative association of dodgy workmanship and being ripoff merchants.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:14 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RUSSGT is a guruRUSSGT is a guru

You got 409 grade steel but you probably wanted the famous 316. The difference is here.

409 is a titanium stabilised ferritic stainless steel. Although regarded as a general-purpose chromium stainless steel the primary application for Grade 409 is automotive exhaust systems. Its applications are those where appearance is a secondary consideration to mechanical properties and corrosion resistance and where some weldability is required.

Main use for this steel is automotive exhausts.

Grade 316 is the standard molybdenum-bearing grade, second in importance to 304 amongst the austenitic stainless steels. The molybdenum gives 316 better overall corrosion resistant properties than Grade 304, particularly higher resistance to pitting and crevice corrosion in chloride environments. It has excellent forming and welding characteristics. It is readily brake or roll formed into a variety of parts for applications in the industrial, architectural, and transportation fields. Grade 316 also has outstanding welding characteristics. Post-weld annealing is not required when welding thin sections.

Grade 316L, the low carbon version of 316 and is immune from sensitisation (grain boundary carbide precipitation). Thus it is extensively used in heavy gauge welded components (over about 6mm). Grade 316H, with its higher carbon content has application at elevated temperatures, as does stabilised grade 316Ti.

The austenitic structure also gives these grades excellent toughness, even down to cryogenic temperatures.

Typical applications include:

· Food preparation equipment particularly in chloride environments.
· Laboratory benches & equipment.
· Coastal architectural panelling, railings & trim.
· Boat fittings.
· Chemical containers, including for transport.
· Heat Exchangers.
· Woven or welded screens for mining, quarrying & water filtration.
· Threaded fasteners.
· Springs.

I have used them before and thought they where great! Got exactly what i asked for because i asked for what i wanted. If your unhappy with something they did, take it to them not flame them on a public forum which will only make YOU sound like a complete tosser.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:21 PM
Subaru Tech Division

pete gopal at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSSGT
You got 409 grade steel but you probably wanted the famous 316. The difference is here.

409 is a titanium stabilised ferritic stainless steel. Although regarded as a general-purpose chromium stainless steel the primary application for Grade 409 is automotive exhaust systems. Its applications are those where appearance is a secondary consideration to mechanical properties and corrosion resistance and where some weldability is required.

Main use for this steel is automotive exhausts.

Grade 316 is the standard molybdenum-bearing grade, second in importance to 304 amongst the austenitic stainless steels. The molybdenum gives 316 better overall corrosion resistant properties than Grade 304, particularly higher resistance to pitting and crevice corrosion in chloride environments. It has excellent forming and welding characteristics. It is readily brake or roll formed into a variety of parts for applications in the industrial, architectural, and transportation fields. Grade 316 also has outstanding welding characteristics. Post-weld annealing is not required when welding thin sections.

Grade 316L, the low carbon version of 316 and is immune from sensitisation (grain boundary carbide precipitation). Thus it is extensively used in heavy gauge welded components (over about 6mm). Grade 316H, with its higher carbon content has application at elevated temperatures, as does stabilised grade 316Ti.

The austenitic structure also gives these grades excellent toughness, even down to cryogenic temperatures.

Typical applications include:

· Food preparation equipment particularly in chloride environments.
· Laboratory benches & equipment.
· Coastal architectural panelling, railings & trim.
· Boat fittings.
· Chemical containers, including for transport.
· Heat Exchangers.
· Woven or welded screens for mining, quarrying & water filtration.
· Threaded fasteners.
· Springs.

I have used them before and thought they where great! Got exactly what i asked for because i asked for what i wanted. If your unhappy with something they did, take it to them not flame them on a public forum which will only make YOU sound like a complete tosser.
agree, it's like rocking up to a mechanic and asking him to change ur spark plugs. He'll put whatever brand he likes/is cheaper or whatever. If you want something different then specify it. Some GREAT mechanics will give you options and talk to you about them, others won't and that's where you have to be specific.

New toy has arrived, 1/4 mile in 11.2 sec and only 114hp!
Old 03-12-2007, 01:22 PM