Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2008, 12:07 AM
Sir AntiLag

nicecar at standard level
Default Couple questions after verso

Wasnt going to post on here after the last backlash, but its my only hope of getting some answers. I tried searching with no luck, as the topic is regarding a bov and theres plenty of threads with no real answers.

I got a fmic/fuel pump/turbo back/verso done today, car feels great much more power very happy with the result! Only hitch was that the car is currently running without a bov, the guys at asg said it would be ok to drive in the mean time without doing any major damage..

First question would be - should i be taking it easy on the car? Will i do any major damage if I drive a bit "aggressively"...its hard to drive slow with the new power!

Second, any suggestions on a simple plumb back bov would be appreciated? Something thats fairly cheap and does the job would be great.. Im not too clued up on bovs and to be honest have no idea on what it is they actually serve a purpose for - never needed to upgrade one.

Other than that extreemely happy with result, just need to wait for the wheels to arrive and car is finished for time being.

Forgot to add, in regards to getting a permit - say my car is too low to go over the concrete blocks they have to test the height of cars...is it still possible to get permits for the rest of mods on the car? Got a bit scared when a cop started to follow me after picking the car up!

Last edited by nicecar; 11-04-2008 at 12:20 AM.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:57 AM
Subaru Tech Division

vyper at standard level

Do you have a stock bov/pressure relief valve fitted?

You should have one in place unless you want to cause damage. Stay off boost until you can have one fitted.

The vent excess air pressure generated by the turbo when coming off the accelerator, etc.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:51 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

ImPreSiV is a guruImPreSiV is a guru

get yourself a standard STi one, or your standard WRX one. That's the best method
Old 11-04-2008, 07:19 AM
Sir AntiLag

there is no bov at all currently, my standard sti one wasnt useable for some reason
Old 11-04-2008, 07:37 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Obviously due to your FMIC kit, the stock BOV cant be fitted.

Personally if you are concerned with what a workshop has done, call them and ask rather than getting vague replies off us forum monkeys. They have done the work and know exactly what has been done or needs to be done to your car.

I'm sure a 5 minute phone call will give you a recommendation of BOV and if it is ok to give your car a thrash in its current condition.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:51 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RUSSGT is a guruRUSSGT is a guru

^^i agree!

You will be dosing like crazy. What turbo are you running? I dont believe it will be doing to much damage. Some turbos can handle flutter. VL turbos never had one and are goin strong.

http://kap.industries/
Old 11-04-2008, 08:00 AM
Sign me up!
///M3

Jimmy S at standard level

From what I have read/heard/understood it is very rare for a turbo to fail because of a lack of BOV... Although it definitely does put more strain on the turbo, and if left for too long, could probably bend the fins.

IMO get one on there as soon as you can... I have an APS which plumbs back most of the time and vents when on full boost.. I have also had a GFB Hybrid.. I would recommend both of them.

'04 E46 S/C M3 Coupe
Old 11-04-2008, 08:01 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Chris at standard level

Is there a place on the FMIC piping to install the BOV?

If there is I assume they have just blanked it off with a plug or something?

Like Vyper said, stay off boost until you get a BOV. You will know if you are getting compressor surge because you will get the fluttering sound. This can be detrimental to the life of your turbo. In other words if you hear fluttering dont drive it as hard.

When you take your foot off the accelerator the throttle closes, there is nowhere for the air from the turbo to go so the pressure builds up in your intake system as the turbo pumps more air into the same volume of piping. The BOV is set to open at a certain point to release this pressure to prevent damage to your turbo.

You can get a full plumback BOV which doesn't make any noise because it vents the pressure back into the intake or you can get a BOV that vents to atmosphere which will give you the noise. the GFB site has some good info about all this.

Get one ASAP and if you're worried call ASG and ask exactly how hard you should drive and how careful you should be in the mean time.

Cheers
Old 11-04-2008, 08:26 AM
Sir AntiLag

^^ yep there is definately the flutter, even at low rev changes. Like i said the asg guys said it would be ok to drive it as it is for the time being, ill try to drive off boost. I will get myself a gfb plumback asap.

Thanks for info guys.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:31 AM
Sir AntiLag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato
Obviously due to your FMIC kit, the stock BOV cant be fitted.

Personally if you are concerned with what a workshop has done, call them and ask rather than getting vague replies off us forum monkeys. They have done the work and know exactly what has been done or needs to be done to your car.

I'm sure a 5 minute phone call will give you a recommendation of BOV and if it is ok to give your car a thrash in its current condition.

Obviously i spoke with the guys after picking up the car. I have no concerns of what the workshop has done and am very happy with the esult. I was unaware i needed aftermarket bov so i didnt expect one to appear on the car out of no where.

I am not an expert on cars, so apologies if my questions frustrate you and feel the need to vent but that is why I am asking on here, to learn.

Tags
couple, questions, verso