Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-06-2008, 10:19 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

shivi at standard level
Default Stuffed piston rings

hey fellas,
just wondering if any one over here was in the same boat as im in now.
Got my exhaust put in last weekend with my mate on a MY99 and for some reason when i tested it out for a bit of a spin i got bk home and a rattling noise started up from cylinder 4 or 3. Sounded like i had done my piston/lifters at that time but yeh when i took it down to maximum performace in malaga the guy confirmed it sounded more like a cracked piston.

So yeh im in a bit of a soup now. He reckoned that it'll be cheaper if i dropped an Ej207 in. He quoted me 5 gorrilas to get a new blocks and drop it in for another $600. So yeh i rang around a few places and found out that parts itself are costing me close to 2 G. Nd yeh this time i wanted to get it done thru any proff.

Any one got any ideas or suggestion, even if ya know any one whose a bit cheaper than maximum performance and does a good job. would be gr8 if i could get my wheels back on the roads without spendin 5 G's!
cheers guys
Old 24-06-2008, 10:33 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

xeon at standard level

Last time I cracked a piston I ended up with an EJ257, fresh ported heads, bigger cams, bigger turbo, brembos, coilovers, 6 spd.... good luck mate, engine builds can be expensive
Old 24-06-2008, 10:56 PM
STI Master

phatskinz at standard level
Send a message via MSN to phatskinz

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivi
hey fellas,
just wondering if any one over here was in the same boat as im in now.
Got my exhaust put in last weekend with my mate on a MY99 and for some reason when i tested it out for a bit of a spin i got bk home and a rattling noise started up from cylinder 4 or 3. Sounded like i had done my piston/lifters at that time but yeh when i took it down to maximum performace in malaga the guy confirmed it sounded more like a cracked piston.

So yeh im in a bit of a soup now. He reckoned that it'll be cheaper if i dropped an Ej207 in. He quoted me 5 gorrilas to get a new blocks and drop it in for another $600. So yeh i rang around a few places and found out that parts itself are costing me close to 2 G. Nd yeh this time i wanted to get it done thru any proff.

Any one got any ideas or suggestion, even if ya know any one whose a bit cheaper than maximum performance and does a good job. would be gr8 if i could get my wheels back on the roads without spendin 5 G's!
cheers guys

i have got a tread which relates to getting a new engine

hope it helps

http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/showthre...ight=phatskinz

Old 24-06-2008, 11:47 PM
STI Master

MY99 at standard level

Sorry to hear mate. Your options are:
  • EJ207 short motor: installed at a good workshop using your heads (provided they are good), minimum $5000, closer to $6000 with extra bits n pieces, fluids, servicing etc. Advantages are forged pistons, semi closed deck, stronger bearings (STi spec)
  • EJ205 long motor : good condition one will cost you around $3000-3500, but there was one on here a while back for under $2000. Installation for under $1000 at most places as you don't have to rip apart the engine. Add in fluids, service while the motor is out and you'll be closer to $5000 (unless you get the engine cheap)
  • EJ205 Short motor : if you get lucky and find one somehow - reuse your heads and spend about $2k on installation. (but don't know what you're getting and unlikely to find one in working condition)
  • Rebuild your motor: Will need new pistons, rings, rods, bearings and machining of the crank (most probably), with labour will add up to close to $4500... might be able to rebuild just the pistons/rings - not sure on that one (keep in mind your block has to be in good condition)

Good luck!

Last edited by MY99; 24-06-2008 at 11:50 PM.
Old 25-06-2008, 10:32 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

What 'parts' are you getting for $2000?

(also before you get flamed, SMS speak is not tolerated that well on here. Write the question out in full and you will get a better reply).
Old 25-06-2008, 11:13 AM

shivi at standard level

Will keep that in mind. Rang up a few places around perth and this shop probably quoted the best.
Forged Pistons and ring set- $995
Big End bearings- $ 40
Gasket Set- $ 459
Oil Filter- $ 9
Spark Plugs - $ 4 each
Coolant- $ 10
Gasket Geo - $12
Studs- $ 69
and then gotta add the $'s for dyno tuning and interceptor.

Sounds like its the cheaper way to go but im sort of in the twixt where i can get this installed for cheap.

Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato
What 'parts' are you getting for $2000?

(also before you get flamed, SMS speak is not tolerated that well on here. Write the question out in full and you will get a better reply).
Old 25-06-2008, 11:15 AM

shivi at standard level

Hi mate
Cheers for the information
looking at the stats its probably given me a better idea on whats what.
thanks for your help
cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY99
Sorry to hear mate. Your options are:
  • EJ207 short motor: installed at a good workshop using your heads (provided they are good), minimum $5000, closer to $6000 with extra bits n pieces, fluids, servicing etc. Advantages are forged pistons, semi closed deck, stronger bearings (STi spec)
  • EJ205 long motor : good condition one will cost you around $3000-3500, but there was one on here a while back for under $2000. Installation for under $1000 at most places as you don't have to rip apart the engine. Add in fluids, service while the motor is out and you'll be closer to $5000 (unless you get the engine cheap)
  • EJ205 Short motor : if you get lucky and find one somehow - reuse your heads and spend about $2k on installation. (but don't know what you're getting and unlikely to find one in working condition)
  • Rebuild your motor: Will need new pistons, rings, rods, bearings and machining of the crank (most probably), with labour will add up to close to $4500... might be able to rebuild just the pistons/rings - not sure on that one (keep in mind your block has to be in good condition)

Good luck!
Old 25-06-2008, 11:21 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivi
Sounds like its the cheaper way to go but im sort of in the twixt where i can get this installed for cheap.
And there in lies the problem.

People can source parts cheap, but the labour to install them is expensive. You will find the labour to install all those parts (and anything else damaged) will add up to the cost of a new EJ207, which is why most workshops will recommend this solution.
Old 25-06-2008, 11:39 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

BALISTC knows their stuff

Wow, bearings for $40? You sure its a whole set???
Old 25-06-2008, 11:43 AM
Subaru Tech Division

WRXTASY at standard level
Question

A lot of members have been down this route before...solution...

Aus. 02-05 STI EJ207 forged piston short block from:
Regents Subaru,
Scarborough Beach Road
Osborne Park

Should be around $3000 inc GST
Then budget for:
Head Gaskets $200 ish
STI Oil Pump $250 ish
New Water pump (good to cheap option to replace while engine is out) $150ish
Fluids and Oils $100 ish
Labour to install remove and install engine. $600-$1000

If you heads are ok then its a pretty simple remove and replace process.

I would also suggest you get rid of the Air Flow Meter completely from your 99 WRX.
This component is the achilles heel for the 99/00 WRX/STi's are is responsible for more stuffed engines than you care to name.

Minimum you will need is either a Power FC with a Z32 Air Flow Meter or a V5 Possumlink. both full replacement ECU's.

I would suggest ASG for the Power FC tune. RMS for the Possumlink.

J

Last edited by WRXTASY; 25-06-2008 at 11:50 AM.

Tags
piston, rings, stuffed