Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2008, 04:02 PM
Subaru Tech Division

WRXTASY at standard level
Question Brakes Pads QFM A1RM $110ish ->>Ferodo DS2500

Quote:
hey
could anyone please recomend decent feroda pads for round 80 to about the 150 dollar mark and bit of feed back on how u have gone with em.

cheers romeo
After everyone gave Romeo a bit of a bagging in the last post, I did a bit of a search around.

SPECIFICATIONS : QFM K750
Formulation - Cold Friction - High Friction - Temperature (C)

A1RM - 0.40 - 0.48 - 0-780

Now with Ferodos rated at a high coefficient of friction of 0.50 up to Temps of 500 degrees c, these look like a resonable buy.

Ferodo DS2500 $260-340

QFM K750 A1RM $110-150

By all reports the A1RM's are far superior to the Bendix Ultimates, Lucas and EBC Red's at around the same price range.

Sounds like good band for the buck. I believe they may also have A1RM pads for STI's Brembo's as well through GSL Rallysport.

Cheaper still are the QFM HPX pads at around $60, similar performance to Ultimates and Lucas, but with less dust.

Specs on QFM HPX or K500 as they are also known:

Cold friction Co-efficient 0.41
Hot friction Co-efficient 0.42
Temperature range 0-500 Deg C

http://www.qfmperformance.com/

http://mrtperformance.com.au/forums/...ead.php?t=4446

*** I do not runs these pads personally ***
Nor have any affiliation with the company.

J

Last edited by WRXTASY; 10-07-2008 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:25 PM
STI Master

maddog at standard level

Call me a pessimist but if they sound to good to be true then they probably are...
The Romeos of this world can wish all they want for cheap pads that suit a performance car. The moment they hit the pedal and finds SFA is the result they better start praying....Romeo, oh Romeo, where art thy Romeo...gone to intensive care!
People get in a turbo charged car and after the second or third spirited corner forget they have crap pads. Predictably on the fourth corner they become another statistic.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:49 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Ha Ha

The old saying - ya get what you pay for !!!
Old 10-07-2008, 06:07 PM
Subaru Tech Division

WhiteRX at standard level
Send a message via MSN to WhiteRX

I dont understand you guys. Ferodo ds2000 are a great pad for the street, skid pan and even occasional track work. I can personally say that i had them out at collie and they did the job very well, although im not going to use them again on the track, because of life the span of them when worked hard. (i got just over 600km out of a set)

i would be happy to use them on the street and even more for ahg. Im sure they cant be more than 150 a set retail.

I really think a DS2500 compound pad is a bit of a overkill for any street driving.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:02 PM
STI Master

maddog at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRX
I dont understand you guys. Ferodo ds2000 are a great pad for the street, skid pan and even occasional track work. I can personally say that i had them out at collie and they did the job very well, although im not going to use them again on the track, because of life the span of them when worked hard. (i got just over 600km out of a set)

i would be happy to use them on the street and even more for ahg. Im sure they cant be more than 150 a set retail.

I really think a DS2500 compound pad is a bit of a overkill for any street driving.
So you wont ever use them again because they don't last, great testimonial. I am going to rush out and grab a set on that recommendation. Can anyone confirm what a set of DS2000 cost?
Old 10-07-2008, 07:12 PM
Subaru Tech Division

WhiteRX at standard level
Send a message via MSN to WhiteRX

they dont last under severe track usage at collie, and i expected that. For ahg or even street driving they are fine.

If you want to go really fast, on the track then obviously you would choose a more competition orientated pad composition. eg, ds2500/3000

What i am really trying to say is a set of pads that cost me all of $110 (trade price) will most likely do this poor bloke just fine. Hell even if he decided to race it he wont run out of brakes from brake fade, or lack of stopping power. They might not last as long as a race compound on the track but will be fine on the street.

What more people should be doing is a complete flush of brake fluid every 1-2 years, not just thinking 500ml and a few pumps on each wheel is a complete flush.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:12 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

romeo at standard level

cheers whitrx for your help and wrxtasy go out hopfully tommoro and get some Ferodo DS2000 which should work out fine as i havnt taken my car to track yet. maddog dont know what pads u r runnings but good luck with em
Old 10-07-2008, 08:48 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

col5555 at standard level

Ferodo DS2500 ex NASIOC vendor $200.00 USD delivered to Perth if anyone interested.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:19 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Good Price. I'm interested.

Group Buy ???
Old 11-07-2008, 04:46 PM
STI Master

maddog at standard level

Quote AP Racing circa 2002:
The DS2000 compound is primarily designed for high performance road use. However, its excellent speed and temperature sensitivity characteristics make DS2000 also suitable for...

DS2000 is used in the rear applications of front traction racing cars and in particular the Super Touring Championships all over Europe. In addition, it is a standard compound used in many Mono-brand Championships and Group N cars ( even on the front axle).

The graph below (not included as I cant be bothered) demonstrates that the DS2000 has a friction level of approximately 0.42, this remains constant at any speed and at any temperature that the brake system is working at. The temperature range showed on the graph is representative of actual running conditions.

A minimum of 250/300 miles product life can be expected under racing conditions, this can of course be significantly higher. For high performance road use pads can offer up to 40000miles of product life, dependent upon driving style and road conditions.
Unquote.
My summary of the above is yes the Ferodo DS2000 are a good all rounder, if their price has come down get me some sauce for my humble pie As a comparison Bendix Ultimates are Cold FC of 0.405 and hot 0.362 Temp to 500degC, I believe the Ferodos are good to 600degC
BTW I currently use a set of Endless Euro X for normal driving and some crap Bendix CT to help deglaze my DBA5000 rotors. I prefer Pagid Blue for track and street. Bendix Ultimates reside in the rear pending a rear brake upgrade.

Tags
$110ish, >>ferodo, a1rm, brakes, ds2500, pads, qfm