Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2009, 10:37 AM
STI Master

doadrift at standard level
Default Clutch bleeding

Hey guys the missus wrx got a cut in the clutch hose and was leaking and had a shitty pedal. I swapped the hose and upon trying to bleed it I can rarely ever get any sort of pedal feel at all!

I've got the spring back on
I've Swapped the master cylinder slave cylinder AND hose AGAIN
I've tried using a hose into a jar of fluid and pumping until the air bubbles are gone. Ive tried using no pipe and just push lock pump push lock pump.

I'm confused as I've never had a trouble with any of my other cars but this just doesn't seem to want to work!
Is there some trick to the wrx like air builds up in the slave cylinder or soemthing stupid?

The pedal continuously drops to the floor and its doing my head in.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:55 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Mister Two at standard level

Did you push the slave cylinder rod all the way back when bleeding it? Otherwise the angle the slave cylinder sits causes air bubbles to move away from the bleed nipple if the rod isnt pushed back in.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:03 AM
STI Master

yep tried that.

I going down to supercheap to buy a vacuum bleeder and giving this a shot:
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/transm...ng-clutch.html
Old 10-03-2009, 11:06 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Strubaru knows their stuff

did you bleed the air bleeder up the top of the firewall near the bonnet hinge? i have a pdf of the subaru workshop manual procedure if you'd like me to send it to you just pm me your e-mail addy, to do it properly you need to remove the slave cylinder, hold the rod in with a G clamp, point the bleeder nipple upwards, then bleed it as you would the brakes (pump/hold pedal/release nipple)
Old 10-03-2009, 12:14 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

superman at standard level

It's the same as bleeding the brakes, except the bleed nipple is on the slave cylinder, which is just off the top of the gearbox beneath the TMIC.

Basically you'll need a small bottle with some brake/clutch fluid in it, with a length of plastic hosing going into it (say 1ft of hose slightly bigger in diameter than a straw, the stuff you get for fish tanks). A old small coke bottle is fine. Fill the bottle up 1/4 of the way with fluid, and stick the hose into the bottle so that hose is in the fluid. Now tape or fix the hose into place so it dosen't come out.
Now with the end that is out to the bottle, find the clutch nipple, which from memory has a little black hat on it, and plug the hose onto it.
Now crack the nipple with a spanner, don't undo it, just crack it loose. Then with someone in the car get them to push the clutch pedal to the floor and keep it there. You should notice air bubbles in the bottle, if there's any air in the system. Next tighten the nipple and then tell the person in the car to release the clutch pedal slowly till it's back to the top (the clutch pedal might stay down, i can't remember if WRX's have a spring to pull it up, so just pull it up with your hand slowly).

Then basically do it again.....crack the nipple, push the pedal to the floor, check for bubbles, tighten nipple, release pedal slowly to the top. Keep doing it till no air bubbles can be seen coming out of the hose, and it's just fluid.
Always keep an eye on the fluid level in the clutch reservoir too!

I am a motor mechanic and i must say the wrx was the hardest one i have bleed. keep trying you will get it right.. hope that info above helps you..
Old 10-03-2009, 01:22 PM
STI Master

LOL funny you say that last part Im a mechanic aswell and i was trippin out haha. I did what I found on that link ASWELL as pushing the slave in and got a shitload more air out than I was with it bolted on. Also bought one of those little self bleeder kits.

Anyway its working great now FINALLY!

Cheers guys!

Tags
bleeding, clutch