Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-03-2009, 12:54 PM
STI Master

axle at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDINO
Current seat is a Sparco sprint, it doesn't have the hole in the base, current Sparco does, the 5-6 harness comes thru the seat base like the pics in the link5-6 Harness I have not seen the mod to use the side 3-4 lap holes.
Thats the way I always thought they mounted until I saw this

http://www.revolutionracegear.com.au...V=Primary&CDO=

But I am probably wrong and even that one needs the base slots somehow.

On second look at it I think I am wrong and it is just a poorly mounted display unit...............

Last edited by axle; 23-03-2009 at 01:18 PM. Reason: addition
Old 23-03-2009, 06:32 PM
STI Master

DJDINO at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle
Thats the way I always thought they mounted until I saw this

http://www.revolutionracegear.com.au...V=Primary&CDO=

But I am probably wrong and even that one needs the base slots somehow.

On second look at it I think I am wrong and it is just a poorly mounted display unit...............
It looks similar to the harness design we wear at work for fall protection, I looked at a few seats in OMP today and they all have a hole in the centre I'm concerned in how the 5-6 harness will wrap around my groin as I've seen some nasty pictures of what happens when this doesn't sit right.

Warning Graphic
Old 23-03-2009, 06:42 PM
STI Master

axle at standard level

Shot an email off to revolution and u do always needs slot in the seat base for a 6 pt. Only options I have is change seat or buy a 4pt that u can add straps to later.

What sort of racing u doing. I'm getting my 65 GT Cortina ready for historic racing again. Prob sprints and regularity to start with.
Old 23-03-2009, 06:50 PM
STI Master

DJDINO at standard level

Basically sprints, I want to join the WASCC and go from there, still learning but having alot of fun, I just want to concentrate on safety now, as as I get quicker you start to push it a bit more and I just want to have the right gear incase.
Old 23-03-2009, 07:16 PM
STI Master

axle at standard level

Good idea. Don't need to go very quick to have a HUGE accident. That one of Craig Lowndes in his HRT days was at 160 ks off the start line. YouTube it worth a look. Was in 1997 I think.

Check out CAMS manual online as well.

U been round Barbagello yet. I'm prob looking at around mid year b4 I'm ready. Will join WASCC as well and go out for a few tuning days. Need new tyres sometime b4 I'll get any decent times for my car. Aiming at 1.16s to start with. Would b ok for an NA 1.5 that's from the 60s.
Old 23-03-2009, 07:24 PM
STI Master

DJDINO at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle
Good idea. Don't need to go very quick to have a HUGE accident. That one of Craig Lowndes in his HRT days was at 160 ks off the start line. YouTube it worth a look. Was in 1997 I think.

Check out CAMS manual online as well.

U been round Barbagello yet. I'm prob looking at around mid year b4 I'm ready. Will join WASCC as well and go out for a few tuning days. Need new tyres sometime b4 I'll get any decent times for my car. Aiming at 1.16s to start with. Would b ok for an NA 1.5 that's from the 60s.
Yep remember the accident well, and he was very lucky to walk away so it is good evidence for the proper safety equipment. Yep I've done a few laps around Barbagello, first laps were 1.03 short and have now got that down to 58 short 1.08 long, car is capable of 56 short so have a way to go. WRXOC is a great club to join as they do Barbagello, Collie etc tuning days at around $150 which is a bargain for the amount of laps you get to do.
Old 23-03-2009, 07:42 PM
STI Master

axle at standard level

1.08 long circuit is pretty impressive. Must have that thing far flying.

I would def look at all the safety u can afford at that pace.

Seat/6pt harness. Window net. Full cage etc.

Other than cage rest is not too pricey. I still got my car cams logbooked with an alloy cage so just need to bolt that back in. Stiffens up car as well which is always a bonus.

With my Nb historic I'll prob join Wascc and perhaps Vintage Sports Car Club WA. Would like to maybe run Northam round the houses next year.
Old 24-03-2009, 10:03 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

deviant at standard level

There was a thread on another forum I frequent talking about 5 & 6 point harnesses and the location of the straps in relation to the gentlemans nether regions.

The general consensus from the racers was that you shouldnt really try and tuck everything through the middle of the straps in to a mangina camel toe arangement with the straps tucked right in to the top of your thigh where it joins the gooch / scrote as it all tends to get pinched when your out on track. It also means the straps were 'edge on' to your body.

They found that getting comfy and sorted down there once they were in the seat let everything sit in a reasonably comfortable position and the harnes could be done up really tight without pinching anything.

One chap that always ran a 5 point harness had a big off and went in front on and he walked away with a massive headache and a slight, dull ache in his groin...the telling thing about this though is that the dull ache means the 5th strap had stopped him 'submarining' under the waist belt and possibly being injured. This was in a sedan car with an upright driving position so anything slightly reclined and you would be mad to run without the extra straps.
Old 24-03-2009, 10:21 AM
Sign me up!
Handbrake!!

dtrally is a gurudtrally is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviant
This was in a sedan car with an upright driving position so anything slightly reclined and you would be mad to run without the extra straps.
The other thing they are valuable for it stopping the lap belts from being pulled up by the shoulder belts. Too many guys with 4 point belts wear the lap belt on their guts instead of low, over the pelvis.
Make sure your crutch belts go around a bar beneath the seat, bolted between the rails so the belt isn't tensioned onto the seat itself in an upward loaded crash. I've seen a seat base torn out and the driver suffer neck injuries from a high speed roll when his head hit the roof.
Also, a common practise is to mount crutch belts to reinforced plates welded or bolted to the floor with a nut under the car. This is dangerous too. The nut can catch on something solid and pull the straps rearward loading your tackle, not good. Make sure they're mounted internally, usually on the rear (or even front) seat bar if it's welded to the cage etc.
Old 24-03-2009, 10:43 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

deviant at standard level

Back in my marshalling days in the UK I saw someone pulling his shoulder belts tight...then tighter...the tighter again and not catching on that the to loose waist belt was riding higher and higher. I knocked on his window and had a quiet word.

Another thing I cant stand is a harness being used with an adjustable road seat. A harness needs to be installed to suit the driver and their seat position but with an adjustable road seat there is far to much scope for moving the seat slightly and upsetting the angles the harness is at in relation to your body. If your quick enough to need a harness then you should be buying a proper seat designed for the job.

Tags
race, seat, winged