Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   gearbox (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/26983-gearbox.html)

98 REX 29-05-2009 03:12 PM

i use 2 launch but not for the last 3 months

ITGRIPS 29-05-2009 03:18 PM

[QUOTE=98 REX]i use 2 launch but not for the last 3 months[/QUOTE]

once stressed breakages inevitable.

Rossco 29-05-2009 03:21 PM

^^ WHS ^^

metal fatigue is a weird subject........

98 REX 29-05-2009 03:34 PM

true that

Elrico 29-05-2009 03:37 PM

[QUOTE=pmh]There's nothing wrong with redline if you look after it like you should, ie change it at regular intervals[/QUOTE]

I dont understand either pmh, I am still yet to be honestly shown that redline destroys gearboxes. People crap on about this "gunk" that appears in there BECAUSE of redline, destroying boxes, yet i have been told by a few people now, with a bit of gearbox knowledge that the "smurfblood gunk" is aparent on gearboxes that have never touched redline.

It would of proberly been wise to stop when you heard the rattle to begin with. I realise you wanted to get home, but instead of just a gearset, its most likley costed you all the gearsets from metal being spat into other gears.

True Story. Once i was almost home and all of a sudden my car wouldnt shift into 3rd. I was dropping it back to second to make sure i could engage other gears and then down to 3rd and it was locked out again. I pulled over, checked underneath and under the bay, got back in and continued. I STILL couldnt engage 3rd. I got home, sat in the garage and realised my ipod was hard up against my dash and where 3rd had to be pushed to engage it......sigh

98 REX 29-05-2009 03:39 PM

im gonna take the gearbox out soon and open it up and find out what it is
im hoping its just the lay shaft what is fckd up

urabus 29-05-2009 05:18 PM

[QUOTE=98 REX]im gonna take the gearbox out soon and open it up and find out what it is
im hoping its just the lay shaft what is fckd up[/QUOTE]

Before you do you might aswell drain the oil out. If it comes out with all sorts of metal in it then boooo, she is proper fucked.

Brendon

deviant 29-05-2009 07:16 PM

[QUOTE=Sphoolin]sat in the garage and realised my ipod was hard up against my dash and where 3rd had to be pushed to engage it......sigh[/QUOTE]

Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe

sorry

*snigger*......BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

To be serious for a moment. Dump the oil first to see if there is anything in it. You would feel a bit silly going to all that effort of removing the box if its something else.

seagull 29-05-2009 07:44 PM

around 70% of the 5MT gear boxes I have stripped down have failed due to poor lubrication .This mainly afects the side thrust of the gear. The gear is normaly seizes > welded to another mating gear , hence not been able to select another gear. Failure is due to the above oil separating ( layering out ) in the main shaft & no oil being able to be feed to the bearings areas.

The oil holes on the main shaft are around 2mm in od & splash feed off the top of the box via oil tray down the main shaft. Even a small bit of plastic off of a selector fork will block the hole. With the oil separating out ( looking like icing on a cake ) there is no chance for lubrication in the oil galleries, thats were disaster sets in. Dropping the clutch & ripping teeth off is another story.

my self I keep well away from the stuff

apg39 29-05-2009 08:25 PM

What $$ are we looking at for a 5MT replacement? or a 6MT? or some stronger gear sets (forget who did them on here)?