Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   gearbox (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/26983-gearbox.html)

98 REX 28-05-2009 10:36 PM

gearbox

gday guys

i have a problem with me gearbox

driving home tonight the gearbox started to me a loud rattle noise in 3 gear so i went as slow as possible home

half way home it started to do it in every gear
now when i try to reverse it locks up

does anyone know what it could be

cheers

seagull 28-05-2009 10:58 PM

you have broken a gear , metal every were inside the box .

I see nothing new here :)

98 REX 29-05-2009 08:03 AM

well that sucks lol

TM69XMX 29-05-2009 09:49 AM

i hade the exact same problem with 2nd gear.. i jst replaced the box...

i meen you might be able to repair it jst depends on how many teeth are brocken.. probably better off changing it i changed mine with a 4.44 gearbox and rear lsd and goes sick now.. alot better launches too

if u end up getting ur box replaced go for a higher ratio gearbox there alot stronger..

:)

98 REX 29-05-2009 10:09 AM

kk cheers
i wonder what causes it though i wasnt doing anything stupid just crusing alond and then that fckn noise
i have redline oil in it hardly ever launch

weird

RUSSGT 29-05-2009 10:37 AM

How long you owned the car? How hard do you change? What clutch was in it.

Also the 4.44 are slightly stronger. Definitely not bullet proof. Good chance to grab a 6 speed if ya got the coin.

Qu3xy 29-05-2009 10:59 AM

Ah, there is the problem. Bloody Redline oil.

98 REX 29-05-2009 11:24 AM

standard clutch and dont miss shift and dont change that hard

had car about 2 years now
when i brought the car i was told it had a recon box in it
what is wrong with redline oil

cheers

pmh 29-05-2009 12:19 PM

There's nothing wrong with redline if you look after it like you should, ie change it at regular intervals

Rossco 29-05-2009 01:38 PM

Clutch dumpage/ launching???

98 REX 29-05-2009 03:12 PM

i use 2 launch but not for the last 3 months

ITGRIPS 29-05-2009 03:18 PM

[QUOTE=98 REX]i use 2 launch but not for the last 3 months[/QUOTE]

once stressed breakages inevitable.

Rossco 29-05-2009 03:21 PM

^^ WHS ^^

metal fatigue is a weird subject........

98 REX 29-05-2009 03:34 PM

true that

Elrico 29-05-2009 03:37 PM

[QUOTE=pmh]There's nothing wrong with redline if you look after it like you should, ie change it at regular intervals[/QUOTE]

I dont understand either pmh, I am still yet to be honestly shown that redline destroys gearboxes. People crap on about this "gunk" that appears in there BECAUSE of redline, destroying boxes, yet i have been told by a few people now, with a bit of gearbox knowledge that the "smurfblood gunk" is aparent on gearboxes that have never touched redline.

It would of proberly been wise to stop when you heard the rattle to begin with. I realise you wanted to get home, but instead of just a gearset, its most likley costed you all the gearsets from metal being spat into other gears.

True Story. Once i was almost home and all of a sudden my car wouldnt shift into 3rd. I was dropping it back to second to make sure i could engage other gears and then down to 3rd and it was locked out again. I pulled over, checked underneath and under the bay, got back in and continued. I STILL couldnt engage 3rd. I got home, sat in the garage and realised my ipod was hard up against my dash and where 3rd had to be pushed to engage it......sigh

98 REX 29-05-2009 03:39 PM

im gonna take the gearbox out soon and open it up and find out what it is
im hoping its just the lay shaft what is fckd up

urabus 29-05-2009 05:18 PM

[QUOTE=98 REX]im gonna take the gearbox out soon and open it up and find out what it is
im hoping its just the lay shaft what is fckd up[/QUOTE]

Before you do you might aswell drain the oil out. If it comes out with all sorts of metal in it then boooo, she is proper fucked.

Brendon

deviant 29-05-2009 07:16 PM

[QUOTE=Sphoolin]sat in the garage and realised my ipod was hard up against my dash and where 3rd had to be pushed to engage it......sigh[/QUOTE]

Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe

sorry

*snigger*......BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

To be serious for a moment. Dump the oil first to see if there is anything in it. You would feel a bit silly going to all that effort of removing the box if its something else.

seagull 29-05-2009 07:44 PM

around 70% of the 5MT gear boxes I have stripped down have failed due to poor lubrication .This mainly afects the side thrust of the gear. The gear is normaly seizes > welded to another mating gear , hence not been able to select another gear. Failure is due to the above oil separating ( layering out ) in the main shaft & no oil being able to be feed to the bearings areas.

The oil holes on the main shaft are around 2mm in od & splash feed off the top of the box via oil tray down the main shaft. Even a small bit of plastic off of a selector fork will block the hole. With the oil separating out ( looking like icing on a cake ) there is no chance for lubrication in the oil galleries, thats were disaster sets in. Dropping the clutch & ripping teeth off is another story.

my self I keep well away from the stuff

apg39 29-05-2009 08:25 PM

What $$ are we looking at for a 5MT replacement? or a 6MT? or some stronger gear sets (forget who did them on here)?

Mister Two 29-05-2009 08:35 PM

Second hand 5 speeds are usually around $1000-$2000 depending on age and ratios. 4.44 boxes are generally worth more than 3.9 boxes

6 speed non DCCD usually is around $4500. DCCD is usually around $5500. Budget an extra $1000 for extra conversion parts and install labour.

Second hand upgraded 5 speeds with stronger gearsets usually around $3000-$5000 depending on brand of gearset and age.

Rebuilding a 5 speed with stronger gears costs around $4500 for 1st/2nd and up around $6500 for 1st to 4th. Other things to consider are billet shift forks and interlocks if you decide on a dog engagement gearset.

apg39 29-05-2009 08:52 PM

Cheers. Where can I get the stronger gearsets to chuck in my box? (Perth naturally)

seagull 29-05-2009 10:14 PM

[QUOTE=98 REX]im gonna take the gearbox out soon and open it up and find out what it is
im hoping its just the lay shaft what is fckd up[/QUOTE]

There is a number of traps you can fall into should you attempt to do this or go down the path of repair if you have not done this before. There is now a new replacment bearing for the main shaft, this unlike the ( most ) of the current ones in the gear boxes has a step down around 1.5mm , this requires the gear box to be reshimed & parts machined.

dtrally 29-05-2009 11:25 PM

[QUOTE=seagull]There is a number of traps you can fall into should you attempt to do this or go down the path of repair [/QUOTE]

Sounds like something I said to you once.

[QUOTE=seagull]........this requires the gear box to be reshimed & parts machined.[/QUOTE]

Sounds odd, and inconvenient?

blommer 29-05-2009 11:46 PM

dougie is really diggin it.. lol

i had the same problem as u as well when i had my dodgey 5 spd in my wrx. driving slowly @ around 40km/h and my gearstick popped out from 2nd and got stuck in between netural and 2nd and clank clank... 2nd gear teeth was farked.

managed to shift into every other gear and had it replaced the following day with a 4.44 box.

however, 5spds are all fragile pussies and i will stay away from them unless it's a dog-box.

went for a 6spd and no dramas at all.. just tt i enjoyed it so much till my 5spd clutch is starting to shag out....

seagull 30-05-2009 12:01 AM

[QUOTE=dtrally]Sounds like something I said to you once.

Sounds odd, and inconvenient?[/QUOTE]

yep , But I know a machinist

Elrico 30-05-2009 01:38 PM

So safely 7k would get a 6 speed, dccd installed?

98 REX 03-06-2009 08:15 AM

i have taken the box out and 3 gear is missin about 5 teeth booth cogs
should i just replace the cogs or buy complete new shaft

dtrally 03-06-2009 02:02 PM

Unless there's chips on second gear you don't have to replace the mainshaft, saving you about $400. I can get you a brand new 3/4 set (genuine Subaru) for $480.
3 and 4 must be changed as a pair. You'll need a couple of gaskets as well, which I also have if you need them.

98 REX 03-06-2009 03:58 PM

what is the cog right oposite to the 3 gear cog because it missing teeth aswell

98 REX 03-06-2009 04:03 PM

its on the pinion shaft that runs the front hum if that helps

cheers

dtrally 03-06-2009 09:26 PM

I can't really follow what you mean, but the gear that's right beside 3rd is second. Second is on the same shaft as first. The gear that's on the same lump of metal as 3rd is 4th, joined with the speedo worm between. So in short, if you have teeth missing off 3rd gear, and chips on second the only salvageable part of tour box is 5th.
5th never breaks so you havn't got much of value let by the sounds of it.
Post a pic of the guts of the box and highlight the chipped tooth to be sure.

98 REX 04-06-2009 03:52 PM

soz i dont have a camera

okay 3 gear on the main shaft is missing teeth and on the pinion shaft next to the main shaft the gear opisite to 3 gear is missing teeth which has the speedo word drive on it no other gear is damaged

i can get the gears 1-5 for $800 genuine subaru
is it worth it or should i buy a recond box
cheers

blue.spec 04-06-2009 05:47 PM

what so you can break another box bite the bullet mate look for some straight cuts or something there are some arround and you can pick them up for a pretty good price

Elrico 04-06-2009 05:51 PM

Depends what the application is? A box is only as indestructable as the person shifting it. Get straight cuts and you'll smash synchros by flat shifting. Get a dog engagement and be like Jester, put it in 1st all day long (hehe love you Matty). Get a 6 speed and be out of pocket 6k+. If you are going to granny around and give it a squirt every now and then, you may aswel get a recond box.

$800 for the parts plus labour and oils/gaskets. Previously off the top of my head you can get a recond box for $1200-1500. Almost same same.

Id get a camera off someone, and post a pic to Doug(dtrally). He is gearboxguru ;p

98 REX 04-06-2009 06:01 PM

i will rebuild it myself so theres no labour

Elrico 04-06-2009 06:05 PM

Well id say you would be up cash if you did it yourself vs buying a recond box.

dtrally 04-06-2009 09:01 PM

If you can get all 5 gears for $800 new from Subaru you're doing better than me.
I'd sugest you get 1st to 4th and re-use 5th to save a few bucks. Change any bearings that have any movement or gritty feel to them, get new synchros, a new input shaft seal and reassemble it with due care. (use the genuine Subaru manual, not a Haynes or Gregorys) Use 3 bond to seal the cases, and use gaskets for the back section (don't use silicone)
Brand new gears will last a decent time with respect.
I'm sceptical at anyone selling 'reconditioned' gearboxes for ~ $1200 - $1500, they are better described as 'repaired'. Depending on the seller you'll find very little (if any) new parts in them.

Elrico 04-06-2009 10:34 PM

What would it be worth (off topic for future refrence) to split a box and replace synchros? Would a notchy gearbox indicate average synchros?

ALEX. 04-06-2009 10:42 PM

Might just need replaced bushings Eric...

Unlike mine. My box is dead. It died. Tonight. It was a frustratingly simple and pathetic death.
242,000ks. Multiple dumps (kind). Multiple motorkhanas. A couple of hillclimbs even last weekend. And now, to die. In the rain.
Well, no rain. Just first to second @ 5k and it was a VERY average speed change too, I might add. Sounds like I stripped 2nd. I was able to freely move the stick into all gears except 1st (i was stationary). Then it got into 2nd and is now jammed in there.

I need to flat-bed it to RMS tomorrow morning. I have Gerrin's number but from what I remember he's semi-retired or something. Anyone recommend a decent towie? Thanks guys.