Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-08-2009, 12:38 AM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level
Default What to do next...

Hey guys and gals
After reading a thread from some guy with a coolant/possible head gasket problem, I've decided to ask for some more opinions on problems I'm facing with my 99 Liberty RX (gen 2)... car was mint when I got it, and the bodywork and interior still is. But I've had a bit of trouble with it mechanically.... its been regularly serviced etc, so maintenance isnt the issue.

It's a bit of a story, so please bear with me.
Problem 1 - speedo wont function at all. We've tested and replaced oh so many things without any success. Here's a thread with details http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/25442-speedometer-not-working.html
Have pretty much given up on that issue now.... I could take it to a workshop so they could have a look, but I don't really see what else they could possibly look at. We've been driving it nanna-styles and learnt how to use the tacho as a guide to speed.

Problem 2 - Car overheated. After giving the coolant a good old flush etc, and pressure testing the setup, we discovered that the thermostat had a hole drilled in it woooo go previous owner! Anywho, we replaced the thermostat, but things didnt really get better, and after a few more tests we put the problem down to the head gasket. In case it was just a minor leak, we put some chemi-weld in there - and it actually did the trick.
Until now. Car overheated again and MAY have caused damage this time, as it wouldnt go far before heating up again.

So I'm thinking of my options:
  1. Fix both of the problems individually and shell out the cash for head gasket, head work etc
  2. Sell the car as is, abandon ship!
  3. Buy a front cut (B4 ) and swap the whole lot out, do the conversion. Sell spare parts where possible.

With these problems fixed, the car is probably worth $8500-9500.
Head gasket and head work would be worth at least $1200 with DIY labour.
I have no idea how much it'd be worth to fix speedo issue, as we have no idea what the problem is.
A BD Liberty B4 twin turbo front cut is $3500 complete, and I could sell the gbox and motor from MY Liberty cheap to someone wanting to do the head work etc, and make some of the money back off the front cut.

Anyways, given the above information, would anyone have any recommendations on what is worth doing?

Last edited by Jezza; 28-08-2009 at 12:27 PM.