Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2009, 04:56 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

edmands_3 at standard level
Default GC8 clutch recommendation

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been covered before, did a bit of a search, but couldn't find the info I need.

My clutch has finally died, after being on its way out for around a year, now it just slips whenever I hit boost, or even accellerate moderately. So I am trying to drive the car as little as possible (to prevent possible rivet damage to the stock flywheel).

I have a lightened flywheel to go in, but wanted a recommendation on a clutch. I have been looking at Exceedy clutches off ebay, but am unsure of which to get. I saw on here in a few other threads that a lot of people use organic clutches, what is the difference between the Exceedy Sports Tuff HD and the Sports Organic?

Any recommendations on which one to get? Any other brands that I should look at in preference to Exceedy?

Power-wise the car is at 14psi, with STI intercooler, but I am looking at increasing the boost to 16psi and installing intercooler sprayers. The car is only really driven on road, because if I am going to the track/drags, I will be going on 2 wheels
Old 02-11-2009, 05:42 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Mister Two at standard level

For the sake of your gearbox. Go Exedy OEM replacement. Part No: FJK-7123
Old 02-11-2009, 06:28 PM
Subaru Tech Division

redlib at standard level

what year is your GC8 the later models, had a slietly better gearbox in them, so can with stand the HD exeedy clutches a bit more, ive got a exeedy sports tuff clutch in my GC8, with a 98 or 99 box, seems to hold up nicely. just dont go too over board with it. any box will break if u treat it like a piece of shit.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlib View Post
what year is your GC8 the later models, had a slietly better gearbox in them, so can with stand the HD exeedy clutches a bit more, ive got a exeedy sports tuff clutch in my GC8, with a 98 or 99 box, seems to hold up nicely. just dont go too over board with it. any box will break if u treat it like a piece of shit.
only a 94

I go easy on it though, I haven't ever launched it (although I don't think my last clutch would have taken it). Still drive it fairly hard sometimes, just easy on the launches, slow on the clutch releases on downshifts. Usually slip the clutch a bit with the revs higher if I want to get a fast take off, rather than dropping it to launch.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:42 PM
Subaru Tech Division

redlib at standard level

its entirely up to you mate, what you decided, where just here to give you suggestions. where not your mum, we cant tell you what to do.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlib View Post
its entirely up to you mate, what you decided, where just here to give you suggestions. where not your mum, we cant tell you what to do.
Yeah, just looking for some advice from others who have done clutch changes, or know more about it than I do so that I can make an informed decision, rather than a random one.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:46 PM
Subaru Tech Division

[REXPLOIT] at standard level
Send a message via MSN to [REXPLOIT]

Search.

Insert Exedy full face here.

Endeth the search.

Dont go a button, and with the power levels your running... the OEM replacement will be fine. Done deal. (I have heard many a horror story about Xtreme... your call).

I dont know about the GC8's, (didnt do a clutch on old car), but for comparisons sake, my Exedy replacement, new thrust bearing, 5.5keg flywheel, was around 1600-1800 rods for memory.

Brent.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-11-2009, 10:08 PM
Sign me up!
Why stop at two bar?

tuna is a gurutuna is a guru

$5-600 on ebay for parts only, put $100 aside for a exchange full faced flywheel, and $5-600 aside for labour, or more if you have a gay choice of clutch etc.

Long live the WRC
Old 02-11-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna View Post
$5-600 on ebay for parts only, put $100 aside for a exchange full faced flywheel, and $5-600 aside for labour, or more if you have a gay choice of clutch etc.
Yeah, I will probably do it myself, depends on how much time I can get away from work as I have been busy recently.

Already have the lightened flywheel, so just looking at a clutch kit.

From looking on ebay and doing further searches on here, I will probably get either a sports organic or an OEM type, depending on whether I think the gearbox can handle the sports organic. The Exedy OEM has 17% more clamp load than the early model clutches and is the same as fitted from '96 onwards.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepR View Post
Search.

Insert Exedy full face here.

Endeth the search.

Dont go a button, and with the power levels your running... the OEM replacement will be fine. Done deal. (I have heard many a horror story about Xtreme... your call).

I dont know about the GC8's, (didnt do a clutch on old car), but for comparisons sake, my Exedy replacement, new thrust bearing, 5.5keg flywheel, was around 1600-1800 rods for memory.

Brent.
Yeah, I am not even considering a button, because I don't want to put extra stress on my drivetrain for no reason. Also I am only really considering Exedy or other suitable high quality replacement at the moment, because I don't want to do all the work of replacing the clutch, then have to do it all again because I decided to save a few bucks.

Tags
clutch, gc8, recommendation